party invite rsvps

(7 Posts)
blueturtle6 Mon 05-Sep-16 08:03:10

Sent out invites to a birthday party, party is in less than two weeks, had a response saying can I let you know nearer the time? AIBU to think two weeks is near the time, and you either say yes or no?

Squeegle Mon 05-Sep-16 08:05:00

Is it such a big deal if you have a maybe from one person?

GastonsPomPomWrath Mon 05-Sep-16 08:05:55

Yanbu. I think that's quite rude and flaky.

Just say "no sorry, I can't really spare you the time, I've got to have numbers for the venue/food etc"

blueturtle6 Mon 05-Sep-16 08:20:35

Squeegle, not usually but this person has had a go at me a few months back about a meet up, and I feel she's being hypocritical now.
Plus its a few hours on Sunday afternoon, I don't mind if she can't come (its an invite not a summons).

Squeegle Mon 05-Sep-16 08:23:40

Sounds like she is being s bit hypocritical; but also sounds like she's a bit rude, so in her case YANBU!

MrsHathaway Mon 05-Sep-16 08:38:40

I really wouldn't mind if she said "can I let you know later because ...

... I don't know exactly when <important work trip> is going to be"

... my dad has been unwell and I don't know how long he's going to be in hospital"

... we won't get DH's shift pattern until Wednesday"

but I agree that without those additions it just sounds like "Can I wait and see if I get a better offer?" which is definitely rude!

LyndaNotLinda Mon 05-Sep-16 08:50:36

That's bloody rude. Unless she has something going on like MrsHathaway says (and then presumably she would have mentioned it?) then she's holding out for a better offer.

I'd be really tempted to reply 'Oh dear - is something tricky going on in your life?'

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now