Talk

Advanced search

what's Posh & what's not

(52 Posts)
Tellmewhywhywhy Sun 04-Sep-16 22:14:39

Please some one enlighten me about - what makes one posh & some not. The request for enlightenment, comes post frequent episodes of cold shouldering from one of the Mum's at school. I suspect that " Posh Not" might be the reason for such behaviour. 😉

OhTheRoses Sun 04-Sep-16 22:16:39

If she was properly posh she would be nice.

shaggedthruahedgebackwards Sun 04-Sep-16 22:19:02

I wouldn't waste time analysing the behaviour of someone shallow enough to cold shoulder you for being "not posh"

Shallishanti Sun 04-Sep-16 22:21:10

errr maybe the OP is 'posh' and the cold shouldering one is not?

acasualobserver Sun 04-Sep-16 22:21:32

Anyone who's worried about being posh actually isn't.

elQuintoConyo Sun 04-Sep-16 22:22:05

'Posh' is rising above such bollocks.

Tellmewhywhywhy Sun 04-Sep-16 22:28:26

I ( OP) am not posh 😊. I wouldn't worry so much if our children weren't friends. Her behaviour makes it impossible , to arrange play dates and other social things for the kids. I have tried being nice for DD's sake but it hasn't worked. The cold shouldering continues

80sMum Sun 04-Sep-16 22:33:48

There's a difference between being posh and being a snob, OP. I suspect that the person you're referring to falls into the latter category. Don't let it bother you. Move on to a nicer person. smile

Spiderpigspiderpig Sun 04-Sep-16 22:37:05

She's probably just a pretentious snob rather than posh

littlepeas Sun 04-Sep-16 22:39:55

Someone who worries about being posh is not posh.

TiggyD Sun 04-Sep-16 22:51:55

She's posh, but has no 'class'.

I always think to myself "what would David Niven do?", then do that.

alfagirl73 Sun 04-Sep-16 22:54:57

In my experience, people who are genuinely posh are actually very down to earth, graceful, classy, sincere and above all, lovely. It's the ones who are pretending to be posh that are usually unpleasant.

NataliaOsipova Sun 04-Sep-16 22:56:13

Love it!

roseteapot101 Sun 04-Sep-16 22:57:11

she sounds like a snob rather than being posh.Posh means to be a educated individual

snobbish means to think your above someone because you have money or class

DiegeticMuch Sun 04-Sep-16 22:57:17

She's not worth it.

Teddy1970 Sun 04-Sep-16 23:03:29

Spot on alfagirl73 for example the Queen isn't a snob because she's got nothing to be snobby about, people who do behave in a "snobby" way are often insecure and worried about their social standing..pathetic, (think Hyacinth) I've met a couple aristocrats over the years but you would never know it because they have impeccable manners and don't behave like an arse..

VanillaSugar Sun 04-Sep-16 23:10:51

OP- why do you think that you're not posh and that the other school mum is?

Tellmewhywhywhy Sun 04-Sep-16 23:25:40

In terms of my social skills and etiquettes I can say with 100% confidence, that I don't come across as uncultured. I guess it comes down to money then. I don't drive an expensive car & don't wear high end stuff. I guess the absence of designer logos makes me look less sociable to her.

Cookingongas Sun 04-Sep-16 23:35:32

She's not posh. She's a twat.

I'm married into a posh family- it's hard and the idea that they are impeccably polite is only true when they aren't having to do so regularly and the politeness falters when it means they actually have to accept you long term - despite knowing nothing about shares and having been in a comprehensive school. But they are never openly rude or horrible. They never avoid. They never sneer. They're posh and find my difference / their ignorance of my life experiences and, indeed, my ignorance of their life experiences - a challenge but they don't exclude me.

That's the sign of a horrible person not a posh one

Spaghettidog Sun 04-Sep-16 23:37:47

You're confusing visible signs of wealth and social class. Either way, she sounds like a wanker.

kurlique Mon 05-Sep-16 00:03:54

Driving a rubbish car keeps the social climbers away... I love it as it means I don't have to put up with their BS and be naice to them because I was drug up proper like.

Iwasjustabouttosaythat Mon 05-Sep-16 06:25:06

Why do you think it's to do with whether you're "posh" or not? Could there be another reason? Is she only like this with you?

KoalaDownUnder Mon 05-Sep-16 07:00:58

I don't really understand why you'd jump to the conclusion that it's 'posh-ness' (or lack thereof) that is the issue.

swisschocolate Mon 05-Sep-16 07:03:43

Having read his autobiography that rules out very little.

Skittlesss Mon 05-Sep-16 07:45:36

Maybe she just doesn't have time for play dates etc?

In my daughter's old school class/group not many parents worked so they arranged play dates in holidays etc. I'm not able to do so as I work full time and we have family time at weekends. I'm too tired to meet after work (chronic illness and it's just too late after dinner!). One lady used to ask me to meet up so the kids could play but didn't seem to get that I couldn't. It would have been nice to do play dates but we just never had the same time free.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now