Talk

Advanced search

To ask if any of you have 'angry' children? And ask for some advice?

(10 Posts)
TwoClose Sun 04-Sep-16 16:31:56

My Ds1, aged 5, is struggling to manage his feelings, he gets very overwhelmed, often reacts in aggression and anger to small things and will lash out, and will then get extremely weepy and upset.

I'm after any recommendations for some good books for me to help him understand this and be able to regulate his emotions some more, and also some books/ stories to read to him to maybe help him?

Any suggestions?

TwoClose Sun 04-Sep-16 16:33:56

Sorry should add he is very hyper active and highly strung. We have discussions with school around ASD and professional suggested he shows traits but not enough to pursue as it is a emotional/ self regulation thing. In all other aspects he is a loving, very affectionate, happy, intelligent and capable little boy.

LumpyMcBentface Sun 04-Sep-16 16:35:46

The Explosive Child is a very good book.

My DD is a very angry child, always has been, and the book has lots of strategies.

TwoClose Sun 04-Sep-16 16:47:35

Thank you I think someone has mentioned this to me before - definitely rings bells and amazon reviews seem good - I shall give it a try.

squidgysquirrel Sun 04-Sep-16 16:49:49

I have the highly sensitive child, by Elaine Aaron. If you google you can find her website and do a quick online questionnaire to see whether your DS shows traits. Very useful for me and DC.

bobbinpop Sun 04-Sep-16 16:53:14

I have just bought the explosive child book for similar reasons. Sending sympathy but no advice as yet, I'm afraid! smile

RunningLulu Sun 04-Sep-16 17:16:32

Is he bottling things up, or particularly sensitive? My ds used to be both & the violence was terrible. It eventually eased and went away with therapy.

Hiddlesnake Sun 04-Sep-16 17:18:47

My DS had rages and anger issues at this age. At 8yo he was diagnosed with Tourette's Syndrome. Apparently anger issues are common co-morbid factors.

LumpyMcBentface Sun 04-Sep-16 18:04:14

Oh that's interesting. DD has a very mild form of Tourette's, which is actually improving as she gets older.

Imaginosity Sun 04-Sep-16 18:47:12

What professional said he didn't have enough traits to pursue a diagnosis? To what extent did the professional assess him?

My DS has high functioning ASD. He is 7 now.

I find the older he gets the more he is able to understand his feelings. He can't control his anger yet but understands why he gets angry, why he should try to control it etc. He knows the methods for trying to control it but doesn't always use them. In the heat of he moment he sometimes forgets what to do. I think he will be able to improve with time.

This book is good
www.goodreads.com/book/show/2005181.What_to_Do_When_Your_Temper_Flares

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now