We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

About using a camera in the cinema?

(10 Posts)
NeedMoreSleepOrSugar Sat 03-Sep-16 17:56:24

Dh and I took DD to the cinema this afternoon. Matinee show, kids film, lots of families with small kids, us included.

Two women across the aisle from us took photos of the two kids who were with them throughout the film. I'd say maybe 20 or so pics, each time with a very bright flash which shone into our eyes as the girls were between us and them.

We ignored it to begin with, but halfway through the film it was just getting more annoying and distracting, especially for dd, so I stepped across and said 'excuse me, can you please put it away, it's very distracting" (thats exactly what I said, although the tone was probably quite sharp)

Fast forward to the end credits, everyone's getting up to leave. Cue loud conversation between them (obviously intended for me to hear) about how "there's always one who will spoil it for the kids"

Aibu in thinking that if anyone was spoiling it for the kids it was the lady with the camera? I've no problem with them taking a couple of photos, but surely there's no need to keep doing it? Im at a loss as to how I spoiled it. When I looked across when they were taking a couple of the photos the kids were trying to watch the film and in one case covered their eyes because the flash was so bright, so if anything it seemed their kids would have preferred it to stop too!

Have I missed some unwritten rule that this ok in matinee shows and should have just put up and shut up?

PotteringAlong Sat 03-Sep-16 17:58:06

Nope, I would have said something too. Really annoying.

Skittlesss Sat 03-Sep-16 17:58:23

I'm shocked that one of the workers didn't see and warn them. She was being very unreasonable indeed.

ifyoulikepinacolada Sat 03-Sep-16 17:59:09

I would've reported my suspicions that somebody was using recording equipment in the cinema to a member of staff and got them thrown out... Yanbu at all!

thepenguinsrock Sat 03-Sep-16 18:00:57

YNBU at all its rude and I'm shocked they weren't asked by staff to stop 😕

Buzzardbird Sat 03-Sep-16 18:01:32

Personally I would have got the staff to come and tell them to stop acting like dicks.
You were not being unreasonable and I probably would have given her a mouthful when she was clearly asking for it.

EnidButton Sat 03-Sep-16 18:01:50

They were being dicks.

As if their kids enjoyment was spoilt because Mummy had to stop taking pics for Facebook. If anything they were probably glad of the peace. grin Imagine how many photos they have taken at home and outside the cinema. Sheesh.

riceuten Sat 03-Sep-16 18:03:59

No, it's not OK. This is the kind of despond family who stand next to me on the train on the way home with their 3 kids and say "OH IT DOESN'T LOOK LIKE PEOPLE ARE GOING TO LET A FAMILY SIT TOGETHER" and show a complete and utter lack of awareness.

Those pictures were probably up on Facebook within seconds with "Lk hr we r @ th cnma thr ws sm rde cw cmplng abt us lol rofl xoxo" attached

alfagirl73 Sat 03-Sep-16 18:05:48

Jeez, how many pictures do you need of your kids watching a movie?! You were quite right to ask her to stop, and I'm quite sure the other people around you were grateful for you saying something.

One or two pics at the very start - fair enough - after that, sit down and let everyone enjoy the film that they've paid their hard-earned money to see! The cinema isn't cheap these days - you are entitled to be able to enjoy the film you've paid to see without someone doing that.

NeedMoreSleepOrSugar Sat 03-Sep-16 18:07:34

I didn't notice any staff in the showing, although at this cinema they tend to just pop in and out rather than stay for the full show, so I probably just missed them.

I did consider going out to complain but figured that just saying to them was faster and possibly better for them as the staff would likely make more of a fuss than my polite (and it really was polite) request.

After hearing the fuss they made on the way out I almost wish I'd complained (or dunked the camera in their drink!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now