Talk

Advanced search

Is it possible to live "the good life" in London?

(12 Posts)
feelingsoalone1 Sat 03-Sep-16 16:52:36

Just that really, especially if you don't have a big home or lots of/any outdoor space.

And by good life I mean more along the tom and Barbara line than fine wine and dining...

Dozer Sat 03-Sep-16 16:54:22

Allotment?

wasonthelist Sat 03-Sep-16 16:56:28

? The Good life was a daft 70s sitcom, not a bleeding docusoap.

Could I live my life like a 70s sitcom that had zero relationship with reality?

YABU not to know the answer already.

TronaldDump Sat 03-Sep-16 16:57:52

We had a smallish terrace with a garden in zone 2 and I grew a lot of my own veggies and some fruit. I'd also collect a fair bit from foraging - wormwood scrubs is quite a 'wild' park and good for elderberries and blackberries etc. I guess it depends on what outdoor space you have and where you live really!

IrenetheQuaint Sat 03-Sep-16 17:00:49

I also grow quite a lot of fruit and veg in my back garden in zone 2 (well, not as much this year which has been rubbish for various reasons). You do need a garden though, or at least a terrace/balcony.

nellypledge16 Sat 03-Sep-16 17:05:51

I'm assuming OP means growing veg and keeping chickens etc!

Trills Sat 03-Sep-16 17:06:08

Can you rephrase to state what it is that you actually want to do, and what the restrictions are?

You want to grow your own veg?

While living in London?

Are you just assuming that you won't have a garden, or do you know that you have no garden, and the "London" part is irrelevant because it's possible to have no garden in any city?

MouseholeCat Sat 03-Sep-16 17:09:54

We managed to grow 2 jalepenos in our 1 bed zone 2 flat last summer... we also have an intermittent mouse problem. I guess that's veg and protein.

(On a serious note, I've now been on my borough's allotment waiting list for 4 years... my dreams of self-sufficiency are feeling very far off).

Trills Sat 03-Sep-16 17:15:44

2 jalapenos?! grin

maninawomansworld01 Mon 05-Sep-16 23:21:00

Dsis lives in London (zone 2 I think) and as she has come from a farming family is desperate to do just this .

6 years of living in London and she's come to the conclusion that it's pretty much impossible.

LittleBearPad Mon 05-Sep-16 23:29:05

Tom and Barbara did live in London. irrelevant

RunningLulu Mon 05-Sep-16 23:47:01

My friend lives near a farm in Watford, so gets her milk and eggs farm fresh. She has a huge garden in her tiny house & grows herbs. And it's possible to pick blackberries pretty much everywhere she is.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now