Talk

Advanced search

to expect to be met at the station?

(202 Posts)
JudyGellar Fri 02-Sep-16 22:26:55

I'm on a weekend away with a friend.

Friend flew out on Thursday. I flew here myself tonight (plus a 2hour train journey). I texted her when I was about 30 minutes out to ask where I was going to meet her and she said to make my way to the hotel. I got lost and was trying to find my bearings and all I got was cross texts telling me to read the fucking map.

So called friend has now taken herself off to bed after refusing to speak all through dinner. I'm sitting in the hotel bar fucking fuming.

DanniiMinogue Fri 02-Sep-16 22:32:56

So had you made a previous arrangement to meet up at the station? Is the hotel far from the station? Does she have the use of a (hire) car? Could you have taken a cab from the station?

Sorry you're annoyed, it doesn't sound like a promising start to the weekend - I guess you either have to try and get to her communicate or make your own plans for the next day at least so as not to waste your time there.

JudyGellar Fri 02-Sep-16 22:34:50

No previous arrangements. I assumed she would be meeting me at the station tbh. It's about a half an hour walk, once I worked out where I was.

DailyFaily Fri 02-Sep-16 22:34:58

YABU to expect to be met at the station, presumably your friend managed it so she probably assumed you'd manage the same.

She is BU to not speak to you through dinner and strop off to bed - not sure why she would have been so upset about you getting lost. How good friends are you and is there a history of her being like this? Seems like you've both made a bit of a drama out of nothing.

Euphemia Fri 02-Sep-16 22:35:02

Why would you need to be met at the station?

It's not your friend's fault you got lost!

You sound like hard work.

HeddaGarbled Fri 02-Sep-16 22:35:17

Yes, YABU. Your friend got herself to the hotel independently when she arrived, presumably with the same 2 hour train journey and then located the hotel all by herself. Why were you expecting her to come out and look after you?

JudyGellar Fri 02-Sep-16 22:36:11

I thought she'd meet me because she's been staying at the hotel for a day and knows where it is. I would have gone to meet her if it had been the other way about confused

BigMamaFratelli Fri 02-Sep-16 22:36:25

Your friend is acting like a tit by sulking but YABU I'm afraid. If you were visiting someone in their home city you might expect to be met at the station. But in this situation I think it's perfectly reasonable to expect you to make your own way to the hotel.

OliveOrTwist Fri 02-Sep-16 22:37:47

YABU. Why didn't you get in a taxi?

GiddyOnZackHunt Fri 02-Sep-16 22:38:02

I'd have got a cab tbh.

Sirzy Fri 02-Sep-16 22:38:05

Could you not have just got a taxi?

DanniiMinogue Fri 02-Sep-16 22:39:11

Thanks for the detail. I've been thinking what I'd do, I honestly wouldn't expect to be met. I'd probably take a taxi if it was late/or had heavy bags, otherwise I'd print off a map before leaving the UK.

FuzzyWizard Fri 02-Sep-16 22:39:30

I think YABU. There's no reason for her to spend an hour walking for the sake of you not having to check google maps. Sorry you aren't having a nice break though.

JudyGellar Fri 02-Sep-16 22:39:34

It was a nice night and I thought I was going in the right direction, until I realised I wasn't!

MauledbytheTigers Fri 02-Sep-16 22:39:56

No, sorry OP but yes if you were visiting her for the weekend and she lived there I'd agree it's not unreasonable to expect to be met but as this is neutral ground and she did the same journey yesterday can't think why you'd expect to be met. Presumably she wants to enjoy her weekend away not traipse to and from the station again when she was only there yesterday.

Think you may want to go smooth things over...won't be much of a weekend away otherwise

Gardenbirds123 Fri 02-Sep-16 22:40:06

YABU

JudyGellar Fri 02-Sep-16 22:40:21

I genuinely would go and get a friend who was coming later. Huh.

Thanks.

LifeInJeneral Fri 02-Sep-16 22:43:27

I agree that YABU to expect her to meet you, that would be an hours round trip minimum for her (assuming no delays that would leave her standing around on her own). You are asking her to either pay for an unnecessary taxi to meet you or for her to do an unfamiliar half hour walk alone to meet you. If it was me and I knew it was about half an hour walk in a new place I'd definitely get a taxi, much easier for everyone. I think you either need to both apologise to clear the air or try to laugh it off.

Stillunexpected Fri 02-Sep-16 22:44:59

So friend got herself there and to the hotel, you arrive and expect to be met, then instead of being sensible and getting a cab decide to wander off in an unknown city, get lost and somehow this is her fault?!

Xocaraic Fri 02-Sep-16 22:47:01

Yes, YABU. There were no plans to meet at the station. I would have thought, as your friend did, that you would rendezvous at the hotel.
He or she must be dreadfully cross with you if you are being sent to Coventry

MirriVan Fri 02-Sep-16 22:47:31

I think I'd be a bit annoyed if you'd gone the wrong way and kept texting to ask for directions. Presumably, if she went the right way when she arrived yesterday, then that's the only route she knows? How is she supposed to direct you out of somewhere she's never been?

MargoReadbetter Fri 02-Sep-16 22:48:37

I think YABU. If it was a date I'd expect more keenness but from a regular friend, no.

Runningupthathill82 Fri 02-Sep-16 22:50:25

Sorry, you sound like hard work. You expect to be met at the station - which would involve your mate taking an hour out if her evening - and then text her constantly when you can't read a map?

Is this a reverse? If not I'd apologise, hope she gets over her strop, and get stuck into the wine together.

user1471495191 Fri 02-Sep-16 22:50:35

When I had a similar situation, I just met my friends at the hotel once I arrived. Never crossed my mind they might come to meet me.

SquirrelPaws Fri 02-Sep-16 22:50:47

I disagree with the majority here. I'd meet a friend in that situation and I should think a good enough friend to be going on holiday with would expect to meet me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now