Talk

Advanced search

To be proud of ds (1st day of secondary school)

(39 Posts)
hanselandmarge Fri 02-Sep-16 21:22:33

Aibu to be so proud of my ds2?

I overheard him talking to my mum about his first day at secondary school. (Large all boy school.)

He tells her that he and his friend noticed a boy at break time sitting on their own, silently crying, and they rushed over to say hello, are you ok etc etc. This child didn't know anyone and felt overwhelmed.

They ended up making him laugh and helped him find his next lesson together.

Sorry I know it's boastful but I wanted to tell someone!

DramaAlpaca Fri 02-Sep-16 21:24:17

That's lovely smile

TheSecondOfHerName Fri 02-Sep-16 21:24:21

What lovely lads. You are right to be proud.

CocktailQueen Fri 02-Sep-16 21:24:38

That is lovely - well done him. You should be proud!

whirlygirly Fri 02-Sep-16 21:25:13

That's really lovely. Poor little lad. I remember feeling like that. We'd just moved into the area and I knew nobody. It was so overwhelming.

Hope ds finds some children as kind as your ds when he starts next week. smile

hanselandmarge Fri 02-Sep-16 21:28:00

Thanks for the kind comments.

smile

Evilstepmum01 Fri 02-Sep-16 21:29:47

You're not boasting, you're proud and rightfully so! What a lovely boy you have!! xx

AliTheMinx Fri 02-Sep-16 21:31:03

How wonderful! I would be bursting with pride too xx

PaulAnkaTheDog Fri 02-Sep-16 21:31:07

Lovely! You've raised a good lad, be proud of both him and your parenting!

Lizmay12 Fri 02-Sep-16 21:31:13

I would be so proud. Well done to him xx

jellycat1 Fri 02-Sep-16 21:32:56

Lovely. Hope my boys are like that smile

CheekyMcgee Fri 02-Sep-16 21:32:59

What a lovely son you have! smile

Beeziekn33ze Fri 02-Sep-16 21:35:25

So lovely, I think the sad boy will never forget them helping him. You are rightly proud of your kind son!

SalemSaberhagen Fri 02-Sep-16 21:36:20

What a lovely boy you have raised smile

HPandBaconSandwiches Fri 02-Sep-16 21:36:23

If my DS grows up to behave like that I'd bloody burst with the pride of it. Well done minihansel!

UterusUterusGhali Fri 02-Sep-16 21:41:46

That's lovely.

Does he know how proud you are of him? He should know that that kind of thing is bloody brilliant, and goes a long way, and shouldn't go unnoticed.

I'd be happier by far if my dc grew up to be kind, than if they were successful. My mother used to say the same, and I never "got it" until I had my own.

He's changed that boy's whole attitude to school forever with one kind gesture. Never underestimate what a kind word or two can do.

freebreeze Fri 02-Sep-16 21:43:56

He's lovely. Be proud. Kindness is so so important and underrated. You should show him this thread to encourage him to continue. Well done Mum!

JennyOnAPlate Fri 02-Sep-16 21:45:49

I actually Welled up reading that! What a lovely boy you've raised flowers

ilovesooty Fri 02-Sep-16 21:45:59

He sounds really lovely.

littledrummergirl Fri 02-Sep-16 21:53:18

That's lovely. My Dd had her first day today as well. She said one boy kept disrupting the lesson-until she told him to pack it in.
She wants to learn and doesn't think her education should be affected by someone else's bad behaviour!

I'm going to have trouble aren't I? grin

hanselandmarge Fri 02-Sep-16 21:54:19

Oh thank you all (again) for such lovely messages and not bashing me for boasting.

Ds knows how proud I am. He is over sensitive about everything, but I've tried to look on the bright side with him and tell him it's okay to feel like this, and it's normal for some people to feel things more strongly. It doesn't have to be a negative trait.

And most importantly kindness can take you far.

123rd Fri 02-Sep-16 21:55:53

What a nice chap

bibbitybobbityyhat Fri 02-Sep-16 21:56:13

Yanbu. Starting secondary school can be very hard, especially if you don't know anyone!

grumpysquash3 Fri 02-Sep-16 22:01:46

What a lovely thing to do!
Very kind and thoughtful, and he might even have the start of a new friendship into the bargain smile

Enkopkaffetak Fri 02-Sep-16 22:02:18

That is a lovely story OP.

DS is going into year 10 but he still at times mentions the 6th formers who bothered to talk to him on his first day at 2ndary school (his school does a year 7 and 6th form day only each year) They told him how great a school it was, how he would just love it there. Promised they would let him know what bus stop to get off at. When they got out they had also walked him to the front door.

He said to me recently that he would keep a look out on his 6th form day to see if any new boys where about to go to his school.

Things like that stays with you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now