Talk

Advanced search

To think this Radio Times article on Strictly is out of order?

(11 Posts)
TooTiredToTidy Fri 02-Sep-16 20:06:04

I love Strictly and can't wait to get wrapped up in again if only because so much of the news is so depressing at the moment. Then the radio times writes this article and I'm angryangryangryangry

Why are we pointing out pro dancers original country and how many of them came from the EU and who is British, with small little British flags next to them (but none for the other, supposedly lesser non-British pro dancers) why are we even tying Brexit with Strictly. Strictly should be a Brexit free zone surely?! Is it just me or is this really bordering on racist & jingoistic?!!

acasualobserver Fri 02-Sep-16 20:07:35

It's only a naff dancing contest.

UnexpectedItemInShaggingArea Fri 02-Sep-16 20:09:02

grin I think you are reading a little bit too much into this!

swisschocolate Fri 02-Sep-16 20:09:57

dancing contest

You do know that the standard of the dancing is really low. I am not sure what it is but it isn't a dancing competition.

foxessocks Fri 02-Sep-16 20:10:39

I got the impression they were just trying to show that there are more British champions than before

ilovesooty Fri 02-Sep-16 20:10:46

Who on earth takes Strictly that seriously?

2gorgeousboys Fri 02-Sep-16 20:15:04

As the mum of two boys who dance, thy are really pleased to see more British pro dancers than ever before on Strictly.

PolkadotsAndMoonbeams Fri 02-Sep-16 20:20:25

Joanne Clifton danced for Italy for most of her career.

PolkadotsAndMoonbeams Fri 02-Sep-16 20:21:46

Katya counts as a British champion.

Basically where you're born doesn't have that much impact in actual competitive dancing!

Redcrayons Fri 02-Sep-16 20:22:24

The Beeb got a bit of stick for bringing in all the foreigners a few years ago. Maybe they've been actively recruiting to redress the balance. RT are just trying to be a bit current wth the BREXIT talk.
At least they're not going down the who is shagging who route the DM love so much.

TooTiredToTidy Fri 02-Sep-16 20:28:23

Not sure if you can read the text from the photo. They've changed the article online too, maybe because I wasn't the only one to be annoyed?

The original text said this:
we have a total of 6 British professionals, the highest number since 2008. Indeed, in the new Brexit world, only three foreign-born dancers are from the EU

Why the need to highlight the nationalities and so 'only 3' come from EU? Like it was a bad thing.

As for you guys who are dissing strictly etc that's fine but why have you even got the time to go on a thread that's got it in the title? I wish I had all that time to go and look at cat memes. Oh no, actually I don't cos I don't like cats.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now