Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To ask what 'triggering' means on a thread?

(11 Posts)
Jillspa Fri 02-Sep-16 20:03:00

I'm fairly new to MN, and I see this on loads of threads - I think I've got some sort of idea, but could someone please explain it to me?

Thanks

AdelindSchade Fri 02-Sep-16 20:08:32

The writer thinks there is something on the thread which could set off an extreme emotional reaction in someone else.

DanglyEarOrnaments Fri 02-Sep-16 20:09:27

It means that the content could trigger a traumatic emotional response in some readers who may have experienced something within the content.

AdelindSchade Fri 02-Sep-16 20:12:10

Don't really see the need for it when it is abundantly clear from the title what the thread is about.

Jillspa Fri 02-Sep-16 20:12:42

Ah - that's what I thought it meant - but thanks for explaining more fully.

WellErrr Fri 02-Sep-16 20:17:53

It's also very overused.

'Does my cat look sad? <triggering: sad animals>' etc.

KittyKrap Fri 02-Sep-16 20:23:21

Some poster started a thread and had a picture of a buttered crumpet in it last week. Apparently she should have had 'trigger warning' for those scared of holes...no, me either hmm

Jillspa Fri 02-Sep-16 20:25:33

The two last examples made me laugh!

Jillspa Fri 02-Sep-16 20:27:10

I didnt' realise it was so overused - I've basically seen it in relation to things like eating disorders etc - tbh - I don't often open threads with WARNING - TRIGGERING on them because I generally like the more lighthearted threads (not because I would find them triggering /traumatic as such)

Hayels Fri 02-Sep-16 20:48:39

I appreciate the warning people put on spider photo threads!!
Thanks!

StuffandBother Fri 02-Sep-16 20:52:25

the request for a 'trigger' warning on the crumpet thread made me proper lol

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now