Talk

Advanced search

please advise me about shoes that are not black

(23 Posts)
yesisaidyes Fri 02-Sep-16 18:27:43

I am having a wardrobe overhaul before the winter. I am really trying to move away from wearing so much black as I am pale and I have realised it does nothing for me. I am trying to wear more navy, blue, green and grey colours as they are much more flattering.

The problem is shoes! What shoes can I wear with navy trousers or navy tights? Are navy shoes, such as loafers or brogues, acceptable with a navy dress? They don't look right with black shoes and I'm not sure about brown.

Any style help is most welcome!

Crunchymum Fri 02-Sep-16 18:29:04

See my initial thought was brown!!!

Crunchymum Fri 02-Sep-16 18:32:16

Like this

LRDtheFeministDragon Fri 02-Sep-16 18:32:49

Personally, I wouldn't wear navy tights as I think they look like school uniform. But what about some other colours? Dark red, or cobalt blue, or green? You don't have to wear neutrals. I think black/brown/navy all tend to look a bit of a mess together, because they are too similar in tone. You look more polished if you're wearing something that contrasts a bit.

Crunchymum Fri 02-Sep-16 18:32:53

Or brighter tights if you feel brave enough

yesisaidyes Fri 02-Sep-16 18:32:58

A lot of the pinterest outfits are of women with bare ankles. Nobody ever has socks or tights on, which makes the choice of shoe very easy. But in the British climate I wear socks or tights most of the year! And I can't wear black socks or tights with navy so don't know which shoes?

yesisaidyes Fri 02-Sep-16 18:34:28

Ooh crunchymum you are a technical genius as well as brilliant with suggestions! I see what you mean about other coloured tights though I am in a fairly senior job so need to be a bit smart though not completely.

yesisaidyes Fri 02-Sep-16 18:35:13

Yes those brown shoes with navy tights do go well in those outfits, I will try some like that on. Thank you.

Cakescakescakes Fri 02-Sep-16 18:39:34

I love navy with tan accessories. Looks really nice.

cuckooplusone Fri 02-Sep-16 18:39:36

I often wear neutral colours to the office with bright accessories. For example, tailored navy dress with emerald green bag, flesh coloured tights and bright red shoes, red bangle.

I have to go to lots of formal business meetings at work and this fits well. I don't wear black much at all (have the odd top).

yesisaidyes Fri 02-Sep-16 18:40:53

cuckoo I love the look of flesh coloured tights but don't you find them cold? I have only really work them for job interviews!

Planty18 Fri 02-Sep-16 18:46:23

Totally agree with putting bright primaries for instance with navy or black to lift an outfit, flesh coloured opaques would work perhaps then they wouldn't be cold? Love those pictures above!

Nanunanu Fri 02-Sep-16 18:48:35

I'm enjoying the fashion for brogues so am wearing blue brogues today

But I often wear bright coloured shoes and plainer clothing. So bright pink/teal etc

Fwiw I also have a professional job so choose one bit to be brightly coloured or patterned. Today is flowery shirt and plain pencil skirt and navy suede and patent brogues. Rather than patterned everywhere and then bright shoes

yesisaidyes Fri 02-Sep-16 18:50:14

Ooh I have been eyeing a pair of navy/ blue brogues nanunanu. Can I ask what you wear them with, socks or tights wise (or would when the weather is colder).

Trifleorbust Fri 02-Sep-16 18:59:20

Nice neutral, red, or or gold shoes work well with navy. If feeling brave, electric green or orange.

FrancisCrawford Fri 02-Sep-16 19:24:58

I would go with navy or burgundy

Nanunanu Fri 02-Sep-16 19:26:05

Today it was thin navy tights. Kinda sheer. Because I can't go barefooted and ive never been able to rock the socks on a grow up in a skirt look.

Often wear them with navy next trousers and black ankle socks. I'd love to say navy ankle socks but I'm just not that organised in a morning to find my single pair of navy socks

cuckooplusone Fri 02-Sep-16 19:33:20

Most of the time I am working in air conditioned splendour so thin tights are up to the job! Tend to go 15 denier so I don't go through them so quickly!

MermaidTears Fri 02-Sep-16 19:44:52

Navy and tan go together like peaches and cream
Also tend to look classy!

Lozzapops Fri 02-Sep-16 20:31:33

Nude goes nicely with navy I find.

Sciurus83 Fri 02-Sep-16 20:44:54

I live in flat brown knee high leather boots in winter, tan ankle boots with a block heel when it's not so cold. X

SabineUndine Fri 02-Sep-16 20:47:40

I've got a thing about red shoes. I would think you could wear nude tights, red shoes and navy dresses/skirts.

scarednoob Fri 02-Sep-16 20:52:52

Red looks lovely with navy - Stuart Weitzman does some beautiful red patent, either bright or burgundy, if you wanted to be bold.

Otherwise nude is always good. Or you could jazz black up a bit - I bought some "cheer myself up for going back after maternity leave" black shoes (Stuart Weitzman again - promise I don't work there!!) which are black patent with clear Perspex heels and I get so many compliments on them!

Have fun and experiment I say smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now