Talk

Advanced search

About Piriton?

(12 Posts)
WinterIsHereJon Fri 02-Sep-16 18:11:52

I'm not sure if this is me being ridiculously uptight, so here goes:

A FB friend posted earlier that her DD (18m ish) has been keeping her up all night lately and that she's exhausted. She has my complete sympathy. What followed was various friends (of hers not mine) advising her to give her dd a "nice big dose" of Piriton before bed which will apparently send her off to sleep. My friend seemed willing to give it a go.

AIBU to feel a little uneasy about this? It feels wrong to me to give such medication for something other than its intended purpose, even though I'm sure it's fairly harmless if dosage is followed correctly. Something about it just doesn't sit right with me.

Brankolium Fri 02-Sep-16 18:14:04

YANBU. Did your friend start the other antihistamine thread?!

MrsPigling Fri 02-Sep-16 18:15:19

it has the opposite effect on some children and sends them loopy!

WinterIsHereJon Fri 02-Sep-16 18:15:37

Ooh what thread? Only just logged on!

goes off to look

Soubriquet Fri 02-Sep-16 18:16:07

Is it Groundhog Day?

This is the second thread on piriton

Better than the alcohol thread I suppose

PurpleDaisies Fri 02-Sep-16 18:16:44

Isn't this is the same as the other thread?!

WinterIsHereJon Fri 02-Sep-16 18:18:12

That's what I get for logging on to rant without catching up first! Sorry everyone blush

mrschatty Fri 02-Sep-16 18:18:27

This is the second thread about this confused I don't understand why for the hope of a good night's sleep she would drug her baby. Yanbu to feel uneasy. But hopefully she takes the advice she got on here earlier

PurpleDaisies Fri 02-Sep-16 18:18:38

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/2722454-and-a-terrible-mother-to-do-this

Here's the thread

0phelia Fri 02-Sep-16 18:19:06

The only time I considered Piriton for my 1yo was for a 12 hour flight.

SloanePeterson Fri 02-Sep-16 18:20:35

Second the possibility of it sending them loopy. In the good old days of medised dd had a dose when she had chicken pox. I've never seen a child so comically hyped up, it was amusing and terrifying at the same time.

harderandharder2breathe Fri 02-Sep-16 18:23:52

I worry about my adult friend taking piriton regularly to help her sleep, Never mind s baby

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now