Talk

Advanced search

to ask if you can film someone without their permission?

(12 Posts)
FloraFoxglove Fri 02-Sep-16 18:07:51

I have my own little cleaning company and I've recently taken on a new client. Today was the third time I've been over.

I did notice some tech looking things plugged in but didn't think much of it. Did my clean as normal and left.

I received a message from the client this evening informing me that they've installed a security system which they can monitor on their mobiles from work so that they'll know if they're burgled or there's a fire apparently and it videos all over the house. She thought she'd let me know and she hoped that was ok.

I will say upfront that I've got nothing to hide here. I fulfill what I'm supposed to in the time agreed. I just felt really weird about it ?! And I'm cringing slightly as I needed to go to the toilet when I was there today (period related tampon changing, I don't normally use clients toilets! ) and it's down the end of a hallway and oh GOD just say that this particular two minutes was filmed?!?!

Anyway she's told me now but should I have known earlier? Like before I was filmed?

liz70 Fri 02-Sep-16 18:12:55

Do you mean what if there was a camera in the loo? I'm pretty sure that would be illegal - breach of privacy and all that.

FloraFoxglove Fri 02-Sep-16 18:13:57

I don't think there was one in the toilet but as I believed I err wasn't being filmed I certainly didn't shut the door.

Oh I don't know. I just feel weirded out

swisschocolate Fri 02-Sep-16 18:15:39

There was a thread a few weeks ago where someone was monitoring a tradesman in her house without him knowing

I thought that it was unacceptable and creepy

However the rest of mumsnet though that it was perfectly acceptable.

FloraFoxglove Fri 02-Sep-16 18:17:09

It feels creepy yes.

Now I know about it - fine. And like I said , I'm not trying to hide anything or steal their silver

It just felt really odd to be told I was filmed today throughout the house and I had no idea

liz70 Fri 02-Sep-16 18:19:14

Oh, I see. I'm somebody who always shuts and locks the bathroom door when I'm using the toilet, even when alone in the house. It's just habit.

scurryfunge Fri 02-Sep-16 18:23:24

I think it's good that they let you know. I doubt there would be coverage of any bathrooms. Many families use this when they suspect a carer is abusing a client. They obviously trust you enough to let you know. I wouldn't worry. I might be tempted to give them a little cleaning show, a la Queen grin

LikeDylanInTheMovies Fri 02-Sep-16 18:31:51

I wouldn't want to turn my house it a real life version of the Truman show and it does all seem a bit ott, but what's the problem?

If you were cleaning a public building or a factory and there was CCTV would that bother you? On the proviso they haven't installed cameras in the loo, I wouldn't get too worked up by it.

FloraFoxglove Fri 02-Sep-16 18:32:13

Ha ha

Yes I'm pleased I now know. I just wish I'd known prior to being filmed without my knowledge

FloraFoxglove Fri 02-Sep-16 18:32:50

I'm not worked up. It's just weird to know you were watched and filmed without knowing about it

Out2pasture Fri 02-Sep-16 18:34:51

Ask about them, my daughter and her partner have them. It monitors the front of the house and back not inside room by room. There are motion sensors in each corner of every room.
When set, it will take photos of people accessing the property and notify the police if outside of certain hours or if the occupants are away.
Motion sensors would set off alarms if someone made it past the James Bond night sensors in the front or back.
In a nutshell theirs will see people coming and going but not room by room.

FloraFoxglove Fri 02-Sep-16 18:39:13

Apparently it videos everything and they can watch it real time on their mobiles. It wiped clean every day

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now