Talk

Advanced search

To think that this rent increase isn't valid?

(9 Posts)
shiveringhiccup Fri 02-Sep-16 14:36:09

Hi all, any advice much appreciated.

Have lived here for 10.5 months with a 1 year fixed term tenancy. Have just had the letter through today about renewing for another year. Slipped into the letter is a paragraph about increasing the rent for this next term.

Obviously I don't want to pay more!!! grin

Initially I was a bit miffed as we've been here less than a year so it seems very soon to increase the rent. Also it seems a bit out of the blue to just have put it in that letter, and it seems pretty last minute to me as we obviously now don't have time to consider other options.

On the other hand I can see it from their point of view and the rent increase is still pretty in line with average rent around here.

I looked it up and on .gov.uk it says that for a 1 year fixed term tenancy, I should have been given 6 months notice of a rent increase. I have only been given 1.5 months.

Does this make it void? Does this mean it's valid from in 6 months time?

Advice much appreciated as it's difficult to see the situation clearly as I am somewhat biased!

Scribblegirl Fri 02-Sep-16 14:46:37

Sorry, but this sounds pretty normal to me. Especially if the increase brings it into line with market rates. When we were renting (until 6 months ago) we had rent increases every year <sigh> (though we are in London).

I think the .gov advice would refer to a rent increase within the existing tenancy. When you re-sign for another year that will start a new tenancy term, for which you have already agreed a new rent. The rent increases rule would only apply to increases where you are still in the term of the lease iyswim.

JustMarriedBecca Fri 02-Sep-16 14:46:54

Most ASTs have a provision allowing a rent increase. Check your contract. I'm not aware of the 6 month provision for ASTs.

LIZS Fri 02-Sep-16 14:50:33

I'm not aware of a 6 month period. Iirc the rent cannot be increased during the 6 month minimum term of an AST but can on renewal.

Gwenci Fri 02-Sep-16 14:51:46

Sorry, I agree with Scribble, we rented for years (also in London), and yearly price increases were the depressing norm.

Sounds like you agree the increase just keeps the price at the going market rate so probably not worth the hassle of moving and forking out for astronomical estate agent fees!

ThumbWitchesAbroad Fri 02-Sep-16 14:54:33

Sounds normal to me as well.
I am a LL with a fully managed property, and the estate agents who manage it sort out the contracts for me. Started off with annual contracts until I got decent tenants, and now we're on 2 yearly contracts. About 2m prior to contract renewal date, they contact me to discuss whether or not I want to increase the rent, and once that decision has been made, they contact the tenants to inform them of the contract renewal and any rent increase.

I don't know where you're getting the idea that you should have 6m notice of a rent increase, never done that.

shiveringhiccup Fri 02-Sep-16 15:00:35

Ok thanks all, good to check here before I go in guns blazing grin

I don't know where you're getting the idea that you should have 6m notice of a rent increase, never done that.
As I said I got it from the .gov.uk website (https://www.gov.uk/private-renting/rent-increases) - looking at it again I wonder if I have misread it. The section is:
Your landlord must give you a minimum of one month’s notice (if you pay rent weekly or monthly). If you have a yearly tenancy, they must give you 6 months’ notice.
But I think it must be referring to rent increases within the term rather than at the end of a term.

ThumbWitchesAbroad Fri 02-Sep-16 15:12:57

Would this refer to properties where they might pay their rent annually instead of monthly? Can't imagine what else it means (and that would probably only refer to commercial properties, but who knows).

But it does say fairly clearly there that if you pay your rent monthly (or weekly) then you only get 1m notice, which you've had.

Scribblegirl Fri 02-Sep-16 16:08:57

God I think I'd just about die if I was asked to pay an entire year's rent in one go! shock

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now