Talk

Advanced search

to change my name in my fifties?

(16 Posts)
MissDallas Thu 01-Sep-16 11:48:40

So I am in my fifties. I wouldn't say I hate my name, rather it doesn't suit me. It is a foreign name evocative of a race of people who look nothing like me. Very often when people meet me for the first time, they are like: "oh, it's you... I thought you would be, well, different". It's embarrassing. To further add to my embarrassment, there is a child in a current children's TV show, with the same name. People think I'm 10.

So I have a very 'normal' middle name. I want to change to that. I don't care what my family call me, but I want to change the name that I present to the outside world. This has come up because I have set up my own business so will have more to do with people who don't currently know me. I just can't face the whole "Oh, I thought you would look different / Oh, aren't you a character in a children's TV show?" anymore.

Would you do this? Am I too old to 'reinvent' myself? Has anyone else done this? AIBU (had to get that in somewhere grin) ?

JinkxMonsoon Thu 01-Sep-16 11:51:25

Definitely not too old. Do it!

AnyTheWiser Thu 01-Sep-16 11:56:08

Oh dear, is it Bing or Captain Barnacles?

Never too late! grin

SpiritedLondon Thu 01-Sep-16 11:56:35

Are you called Topsy?

Well if it bothers you then change it. My uncle uses his middle name for the world but the family all still call him by his first name.

FellOutOfBed2wice Thu 01-Sep-16 12:00:57

My friends mum is Velma Jane and decided in her mid forties that she was sick of the sniggers so now just calls herself Jane. I get it, and everyone has respected her choice. Do it.

BorpBorpBorp Thu 01-Sep-16 12:02:17

Do what you like. You can always change it back.

SpuriouserAndSpuriouser Thu 01-Sep-16 12:04:13

If I bothers you then do it. Why not? YOLO, as they say grin

ElsaAintAsColdAsMe Thu 01-Sep-16 12:04:47

I've just changed mine for a specific purpose. The rest of the time I shall use my 'normal' name.

Do it.

LemonBreeland Thu 01-Sep-16 12:06:57

Go for it.

hesterton Thu 01-Sep-16 12:07:13

Are you Dora?? grin

Go for it! But pick something wonderful and not a boring name.

manyathingyouknow Thu 01-Sep-16 12:07:17

Is your name Iggle Piggle?

Tell us the name!!

Maegeri Thu 01-Sep-16 12:08:04

I think you should go for it. Especially when starting up your business so that its the name your business contacts will associate you with. I am around your age and have wanted to change my name for years. I often try out new ones when ordering coffee in Starbucks!

MissDallas Thu 01-Sep-16 12:11:14

I often try out new ones when ordering coffee in Starbucks!

Do you Maegeri? That's hilarious grin !

AntiquityAgain Thu 01-Sep-16 12:13:25

Do it! I had a friend in her 80's who wished she had years and years ago. And another friend who changed to her middle name at work to stop confusion and liked it so much better she just continued using it!

Vlier Thu 01-Sep-16 12:15:15

When I'm in english speaking countries I use an english name that has a bit of a similar sound as my real name. It makes it easier for me to get used to although its not as pretty as my real name. I also started using it at starbucks to get used to it. Because its similar I got used to it really quickly.

SerendipitousFoxley Thu 01-Sep-16 12:16:57

I'm going with Jamilla. Hate that show! I think it's a pretty name but if you want to change then do!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now