Talk

Advanced search

WIBU to be so cross?

(15 Posts)
jacks11 Wed 31-Aug-16 22:11:07

Is it too much to expect people to not feed animals in fields without permission? I have literally no idea why people think this is ok. I know it's not everyone or every day but it does happen far more frequently than I'd like and disproportionately by parents with youngish children.

Tonight I have had to ask a couple with their children not to feed my ponies/horses. They are in a field that is bordered by a right of way. Despite being reasonably rural we do get a reasonable number of people passing during the summer. There is a sign on the gate asking people not to feed the horses, yet they are still fed all manner of crap that is not good for them. Also, it makes them more likely to nip!

I came across one family throwing a bag of apples (well throwing the individual apples) into the field. Last week it was randoms feeding one of the ponies mints by the packet. I even had to stop one lot feeding them left over donuts!! DDs wee pony is a complete guts and will eat anything on offer, but is also on restricted grazing (she's a welsh mountain pony and so very prone to weight gain) so feeding her extra is particularly bad for her. One of the others is prone to colic.

When I approached them and asked them not do this, the father was a bit narky about it- they live in the nearest village and his girls "just love ponies" and it's "nice" for them to come and "make a fuss of them". I said that I don't mind them coming to see the ponies, but he was being irresponsible to feed them without my permission. Apparantly I am being mean and stopping his little girls having some fun. I'm afraid I did get a bit cross and asked him whether he realised the possible problems their actions could cause and wether they would appreciate the vets bills if the ponies become ill.

Unfortunately one of the girls overheard me saying the ponies could become ill and got quite upset.

I feel a bit guilty that the little girl became upset, but if her parents had been more responsible or read the sign, or even just said "sorry, didn't think it would be a problem but won't do it again", none of this would have happened.

Pettywoman Wed 31-Aug-16 22:21:42

YANBU. You'll have to add a reason to the sign. 'Do not feed, ponies on restricted diet by order of vet' or something. They'll think you're just a kill joy otherwise. People are stupid.

Creatureofthenight Wed 31-Aug-16 22:23:33

YANBU

lastqueenofscotland Wed 31-Aug-16 22:24:16

Yanbu people are idiots with feeding livestock and don't understand the damage

Mybeardeddragonjustdied2016 Wed 31-Aug-16 22:24:36

Maybe put a fake cctv camera up with the sign?

DrunkenUnicorn Wed 31-Aug-16 22:24:50

YANBU

One of the fields near my old yard had a sign on the gate that went something like this:

Please don't feed the ponies. They are prone to laminitis, which is a bit like diabetes in people. Extra food can make them seriously, even fatally, ill.

Queenbean Wed 31-Aug-16 22:24:57

Where do you live? I'll come and hang out in your field in a pantomime horse outfit and wait to be fed doughnuts. Sounds great.

DoreenLethal Wed 31-Aug-16 22:25:20

At our city farm we had to put a second level of fencing to stop the general public feeding the horses - about 1.5 m in from the first level of fencing.

jacks11 Wed 31-Aug-16 22:40:54

Thinking of turning the inner layer of electric fencing on- don't usually bother as the outer is sturdy post and rail. Electic will keep horses away from the fence- and perhaps people out! I have switched it off as had a few problems with people ignoring the signs re electric fencing and didn't want any injuries. Now beginning to think if people can't follow the warning on the signs they deserve a little zap!

Champagneformyrealfriends Wed 31-Aug-16 22:48:14

queen grin

TheWitTank Wed 31-Aug-16 22:49:04

YANBU at all. It's SO irritating isn't it. Owner of a fatty Welsh here too who is on a managed diet. I've caught a man tipping lawn mower clippings into my friends field to 'feed the horses' before -any horsey folk can tell you how dangerous this can be. You don't feed other peoples animals without permission, it causes issues in the field, weight gain with possible serious complications and can cause behaviour problems. I also recommend double fencing and signs up along the fence line -mine said THESE HORSES ARE ON A MANAGED DIET. PLEASE DO NOT FEED AS YOU MAY CAUSE SERIOUS HEALTH PROBLEMS

Nocabbageinmyeye Wed 31-Aug-16 22:59:38

I give dd a carrot for the donkeys (2) when we walk a certain trail (fortnightly maybe), I never realised I shouldn't blush, there is no sign, I just never thought shock I'd never have the nerve to be arsey if the farmer told me not to though, how rude! That's me told though, next time they'll just get a wave

AnotherDayInParadiseLost Wed 31-Aug-16 23:24:21

YANBU
amend your sign to be even clearer.

ThreeSheetsToTheWind Wed 31-Aug-16 23:28:06

Shocking. And really it's a shame. These folk go out randomly feeding horses when we have so many homeless. Makes you think!

Willow2016 Wed 31-Aug-16 23:39:17

Jacks: I would turn on the fence! If there is a chance of your horses and ponies comming to harm then definately. If people are too thick ot read the sign or take your word for it then they will soon learn smile

We have horses (quite a 'horsey' place really when I think about it!) very near us and some of the local kids go walks to feed them ( only certain ones which are close to road) But the owner is aware, knows everyone that does it anyway and is fine with it. None of them are on restricted diets etc. They get the odd carrot a few times a month or the grass just outside their field thats all.

But just cos I can afford to give a couple of horses a carrot once a fortnight doesnt mean I can afford to pay for a horse full time! (nor give to a horse charity every month) What a daft comparison confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now