To ask dp to keep his shirt on?

(60 Posts)
friendlyfoxes Wed 31-Aug-16 19:01:23

He's such a lovely man but has this real 'thing' about taking his shirt off whenever there's a bit of sun.

We were walking his dog on Monday in a local stately home/gardens and - shirt off. Sit outside in a beer garden? Shirt off. Outdoor concert? Off comes the shirt!

I hate it. I find it trashy blush and just, I don't know, a bit crude really.

I've asked him to keep it on and he will but makes it clear he doesn't want to.

AIBU?

AnotherEmma Wed 31-Aug-16 19:02:43

LTB wink

Seriously though. YANBU. Sadly it's his body, his choice... But it would also be your choice not to hang around with him when he does it wink

(Disclaimer: light hearted)

topcat2014 Wed 31-Aug-16 19:06:01

I guess we're not talking Orlando Bloom here - .

Mind you - I feel self conscious in my own garden, and would quite like to be a little more confident.

Can only just manage the same walking back from the pool to our caravan on the camp site we are on right now.

MrsTerryPratchett Wed 31-Aug-16 19:08:16

I guess we're not talking Orlando Bloom here My DH is flipping gorgeous and I'd still rather he kept his shirt on when it's appropriate to do so. Particularly when women aren't as free to do it.

MrsChrisPratt Wed 31-Aug-16 19:09:01

Gross. And yes, totally trashy.

SquinkiesRule Wed 31-Aug-16 19:15:24

Yes it's gross and tacky.
My own Dh always comments when he sees men doing this, he is as confused by it as me, and thinks it looks tacky.

Tangoandcreditcards Wed 31-Aug-16 19:16:52

My DBro does this. I hate it. YANBU

yorkshapudding Wed 31-Aug-16 19:17:14

YANBU. I wouldn't like it either.

Whathaveilost Wed 31-Aug-16 19:20:03

I really dislike it. My DH never does this and I have taught my boys to cover up. I would never let them walk around the house with just shorts on never mind go beyond the front door!

Frogers Wed 31-Aug-16 19:20:04

YANBU.

friendlyfoxes Wed 31-Aug-16 19:20:55

smile I like you lot!

I thought everyone would say I was being snobby. I'm so glad you all agree!

PickleSarnie Wed 31-Aug-16 19:22:37

Euuurrrrgh. Back garden is fine. Beach is fine. Mowing the front garden with "taps aff" is just about passable but anywhere else is just weird.

I used to work in a supermarket at the tills and blokes always used to come in half naked. Was really weird.

And a few summers ago there was a really posh looking bloke (distinguished grey beard, briefcase and red cords) on the tube next to me with no top on. So strange.

Rumpelstiltskin143 Wed 31-Aug-16 19:23:11

Stately home, NO
Beer Garden, NO
Outdoor concert, maybe.

Alconleigh Wed 31-Aug-16 19:27:35

On behalf of all those whose eyes are assaulted by the tops off brigade, I thank you OP. Your instincts are true.

NancyJoan Wed 31-Aug-16 19:30:00

I think it's hideous. I suggest you start doing the same. He may stop quite soon (or not).

60sname Wed 31-Aug-16 19:30:39

YANBU, it's grim

MrsTerryPratchett Wed 31-Aug-16 19:44:33

Outdoor concert, maybe. Having been smooshed up against many repulsive sweaty bodies at concerts, NNNNOOOOO. And if it's a posh, non smooshing event, then it's too posh to be semi-clothed.

Sparklingbrook Wed 31-Aug-16 19:47:37

I think it's grim too. Totally unnecessary.

Dealbreaker?

kittybiscuits Wed 31-Aug-16 19:49:12

It's really embarrassing. Totally with you OP. Unless he's a Red Hot Chilli Pepper.

friendlyfoxes Wed 31-Aug-16 19:49:44

I don't think it's a deal breaker smile especially because he does keep it on when I protest

ConvincingLiar Wed 31-Aug-16 19:51:11

Only public places where shirtless is appropriate are beach and pool.

FlyingElbows Wed 31-Aug-16 19:51:52

I'm Scottish, if it's over 10 degrees it's taps aff. Mr Elbows embraces this rule in the house and the garden but in public is for jakeys and alkies and junkies.

whattheseithakasmean Wed 31-Aug-16 19:56:43

flyingelbows as a fellow Scot I concur with your analysis of appropriate taps aff etiquette.

pigsDOfly Wed 31-Aug-16 19:57:47

I passed a really beautiful man with his top off walking his dog in the street the other day.

It looked odd and very unattractive. It's got nothing to do with how a man looks it's just trashy and inappropriate.

AnnaMarlowe Wed 31-Aug-16 20:00:14

Beach
Pool
Your own garden
Your own house

That's pretty much it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now