To think you take your trolley with you when you do the shopping?

(50 Posts)
SexLubeAndAFishSlice Wed 31-Aug-16 11:37:24

And not just abandon it at the end of every aisle you visit? WHY do people do this!?! Surely it's easier to actually push the trolley to where you want to go and put your shopping straight into it, rather than leave the trolley at the end and then struggle back to it with armfuls of shopping? What exactly is the thought process behind leaving it all over the bloody place? I get so tempted to empty them or push them to somewhere really obscure...

MrsHulk Wed 31-Aug-16 11:38:54

In some supermarkets the aisles get very crowded with trolleys and buggies. If somebody is able bodied, shopping alone, and doesn't mind leaving their trolley at the end of the aisle then returning with their groceries, that makes the aisle less crowded for everybody else.

I don't do it personally but can see the logic.

GastonsPomPomWrath Wed 31-Aug-16 11:40:45

Then you're trying to reach something and have to move their trolley out of the way a tiny bit only to be met with dirty looks for daring to do so!

Oh it gives me an unnecessary amount of anger!

SexLubeAndAFishSlice Wed 31-Aug-16 11:49:51

In a small town where the shops are only ever busy around christmas then it has no logic whatsoever.

NavyandWhite Wed 31-Aug-16 11:52:17

I might wander back for something leaving it but not in aisle. Not a huge problem to walk around a trolley is it? confused

BettyCrystal Wed 31-Aug-16 11:55:10

I often wander a couple of aisles from my trolley... I like browsing!

StarryIllusion Wed 31-Aug-16 11:56:13

This irritates me but working in a shop I get my revenge. If it is unattended for more than 5 minutes I take it and put everything back.

PersianCatLady Wed 31-Aug-16 11:58:18

If I have to go to the supermarket then I do this all the time because I don't want to have to negotiate the trolley around people who are stood in the middle of the aisle completely ignorant of the fact that they are in everybody else's way while they are either talking to someone or chatting on their mobile phone.

Mind you as a rule I try to avoid going to supermarkets as much as possible by getting my shopping delivered instead.

DrWhy Wed 31-Aug-16 11:59:22

I'm nearly 39 weeks pregnant, it's really damn painful on my pelvis to try to turn a trolley round a corner, they want to go straight (or off at some weird angle) so for the last trip I did take to abandoning it at the end of the aisle and just shuffling down to pick up the couple of items I needed and bringing them back to the trolley.
If you had moved it I would probably have cried.

Mov1ngOn Wed 31-Aug-16 11:59:23

Betty - why would you browse without your trolley?

I'm not sure I get why anyone does this. Heavy baskets I understand but dint you just take your trolley with you..

NavyandWhite Wed 31-Aug-16 12:00:11

That's a bit petty Starry. Why not push the trolley to one side like any rational person would!

BiddyPop Wed 31-Aug-16 12:02:33

I've had to temporarily abandon the trolley while taking DD to the toilet (in the store but the far end of the shop from food department).

I've often only needed 1 item from an aisle and it's busy, so easier to leave the trolley at the end.

Sometimes DD is getting 1 thing from 1 aisle and me 1 thing from the next, so we leave the trolley between us, and then can walk with the trolley down the next one again.

I have sometimes forgotten 1 last item from the start of the shop (DD distracting me, or we change a menu item based on meat availability meaning we need to go back and add a veg item, for example) but the "superscan" checkout is only available at the far end of the store, so I leave the trolley in the off-licence while I go for a chilli or whatever and come back rather than wrestle the full trolley back through the whole store and back again.

There are lots of reasons.

MrsHulk Wed 31-Aug-16 12:13:37

This is a really odd thing to be annoyed about tbh.

There are lots of perfectly good reasons people might do this, and the impact on you is tiny (move their trolley if you really need to, otherwise ignore it!)

MakeItStopNeville Wed 31-Aug-16 12:18:44

I do this in the fruit and veg aisle. It's badly designed and is always overcrowded so I just put my trolley out the way and carry the fruit and veg. It's quicker and easier than negotiating the trolley through loads of people and their trollies.

trafalgargal Wed 31-Aug-16 12:29:33

I doubt Starry would last long in any of our local supermarkets with that level of behaviour. They'd be fired partly for annoying the customers and partly for abandoning the job they should be doing instead.

I'll often "park up" rather than do battle with the aisle gossipers and dreamers too.

Foxyloxy1plus1 Wed 31-Aug-16 12:30:31

We leave the trolley in an unobtrusive place because I am sick of trying to reach stuff, with someone's trolley stuck in front of the goods you're trying to get at. I think it's bad manners to block people's access to the shelves.

hellsbellsmelons Wed 31-Aug-16 12:31:28

I do this.
Isle is mega busy.
Can't be arsed to try to dodge and get past other trollies.
Leave mine at the end, know what I'm going for.
Grab it.
Put it in trolley and off I go.
I reckon I save myself a lot of time doing it this way.

GoblinLittleOwl Wed 31-Aug-16 12:32:23

I would rather have trollies abandoned at the end of the aisle than placed across the shelves, with the couple positioned at each end, relentlessly discussing each choice and blocking access for other customers.

PersianCatLady Wed 31-Aug-16 12:34:05

hellsbellsmelons
If I have to go to the supermarket that is exactly what I do too.

maz210 Wed 31-Aug-16 12:38:47

I sometimes do this, I'm disabled and when the trolley is heavy I find it easier to walk without it.

I'd have a lot to say if anyone complained to me about it although I don't think many people would.

AnnaMarlowe Wed 31-Aug-16 12:39:14

If your supermarket is never busy, I can't understand why this would bother you?

People do things in different ways. This presumably isn't news to you? smile

ToxicLadybird Wed 31-Aug-16 12:40:38

I do this. I have a disability which seriously affects my upper body strength. I find it extremely difficult to weave a trolley around corners and people in the aisles, especially as it gets heavier as it fills. Sorry if my way of coping inconveniences you for a nano second.

zofranks Wed 31-Aug-16 12:41:53

drives me mad when people do that OR LEAVE THEIR TROLLEY IN THE FUCKING MIDDLE OF THE AISLE!!!!!!!

God that pisses me off so fucking much - move it out of the fucking way numpty.

Oh and another thing...taking DH shopping and him saying he will push the trolley then either refusing to force his way past someone or pissing off to 'have a look' at something & leaving me with no fucking trolley to put any shopping in. Knobhead

There.

God that feels better

Thanks for this thread

GobblersKnob Wed 31-Aug-16 12:47:36

I'm a trolley parker, just drive it down the middle and walk and get stuff as needed, I only do it because of all the other people who insist on pushing their trolley everywhere they go and blocking the aisles wink

meowli Wed 31-Aug-16 12:52:45

This irritates me but working in a shop I get my revenge. If it is unattended for more than 5 minutes I take it and put everything back.

If you did that to me, I'd never set foot in your shop again. Not good retail practice to antagonise the customers!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now