Talk

Advanced search

To think I'm too old to wear ripped jeans?

(17 Posts)
Kokapetl Tue 30-Aug-16 21:58:55

I'm in my mid 30s with 2 children under 4. I now have 3 pairs of Topshop skinny jeans that have torn at the knee (due to all the kneeling down to do up shoes, pull up trousers, pick things up, talk at the toddler's eye level etc). When I went to buy new ones, very similar jeans with very similar tears were being sold for sligthly more than undamaged ones. It's not normally my style but could I get away with wearing the torn ones and pretending they're meant to be like that? I think it's probably a look you have to be a student and thin to pull off.

wonderingsoul Tue 30-Aug-16 21:59:53

Do it. X

Champagneformyrealfriends Tue 30-Aug-16 22:00:18

I'm a 28 year old post baby chubster and wear ripped jeans grin
Not a student either.

Queenbean Tue 30-Aug-16 22:01:27

I bought some of those and my knees must be much fatter than I realised because instead of looking all sort of Cheryl Cole sexy, I looked like an uncooked joint of pork bulging out of the bits of string you tie it in with

I had no idea knees could be fat. Sob.

ABloodyDifficultWoman Tue 30-Aug-16 22:01:58

NEVER give in to this ageist bullshit OP. Wear what you like, wear it with style and pride!

Omgkitties Tue 30-Aug-16 22:02:34

Well, if you're wearing top shop jeans you must be pretty slim anyway.

Go for it!! You're never too old to try a new style and I bet youd look fab!!

EssexCat Tue 30-Aug-16 22:04:47

God I'm 41 and happily wear ripped jeans all the time!

Not uber tight ripped all over ones, but definitely distressed.

pissedglitter Tue 30-Aug-16 22:06:53

I'm 39 and wear ripped jeans
I love them

Mumble29 Tue 30-Aug-16 22:06:54

Another 41 year old with a pair of ripped jeans here! Wear what you like

DomesticAnarchist Tue 30-Aug-16 22:08:05

I'm the same (mid-30s, two children, had nice intact jeans that went through at the knees after DC1) and when I went to replace my lovely shredded jeans I bought the pre-ripped ones that were cheap in H&M. I had wanted to buy intact ones, given how quickly I go through them anyway, but they cost more.

As it is, the neat little 'trendy rips' are now gaping seam-to-seam!

Yes, I'm going for the 90s student look. That's back, right?

LostQueen Tue 30-Aug-16 22:15:43

My mum is 54 and she wears them. She looks better in hers than I do in mine!

Laquila Tue 30-Aug-16 22:20:31

I had the exact same conversation with myself in New Look the other day - the one a dark grey jeans they had in had knee rips 😒

I'm also early 30s with two kids and tbh, it's not the age aspect that puts me off, it's the impracticality - I don't want cold knees in winter!

JellyBelli Tue 30-Aug-16 22:23:11

Queenbean
I now have fat feet. cake wine

Iliketeaagain Tue 30-Aug-16 22:24:06

You're never too old. My favourite jeans are ripped. I'm late 30s (as much as I hate to admit it) and several sizes bigger than I wish I was. But I like them, and they are the most comfortable jeans I've ever owned!

6yo dd doesn't think much to then - she told me I needed to repair the holes grin

If you like them, wear them..

Buttwing Tue 30-Aug-16 22:27:44

No way are you too old!

I'm 38 and have several pairs although every time I wear them dc4(1) sticks his fingers in the holes and says "uh oh!"

Queenbean Tue 30-Aug-16 22:57:44

Thanks JellyBelli but I think the last thing we need is cake and wine! grin

Niggit Tue 30-Aug-16 23:14:40

I agree with A Bloody Difficult Woman. Wear them and be proud! I'm 54, and bought my very first pair of skinny ripped jeans a couple of months ago after I'd lost 4 stone and could fit into such things for the very first time. I don't think they looked too bad, but you know what? I felt AWESOME!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now