Talk

Advanced search

Bloody BB Guns

(4 Posts)
suchafuss Tue 30-Aug-16 21:08:32

I live next door to my Dsis, her DH and her two DS's aged 11 and 7. I really can't believe this but she has bought them both BB guns and their 15 year old friend down the street has one.
They are constantly firing them and I am worried about my DD 9 and other kids on the street. My Dsis said that one hit her husband on the forehead resulting in a large red lump and in my view if it can do this then what damage would it cause if it hit someone in the eye.
I have tried to talk to her about it but it fell on deaf ears . Does anyone have any suggestions about how to handle this or if BB are actually legal? I am also worried that they may fire them at my cats or other peoples pets. I just think its irresponsible but AIBU?

Jellybean83 Tue 30-Aug-16 21:12:27

I'm sure you need some sort of licence for them now, or is that just a Scottish thing? confused

suchafuss Tue 30-Aug-16 21:48:45

I have tried to look at the legal position but its quite confusing and not that clear.

maninawomansworld01 Tue 30-Aug-16 23:13:18

A BB gun is legally classified as a toy. It is only air weapons which require a licence (Scotland only). From there on up you are in to the realms of real guns.
That is not to say that there is nothing that the police could do though, if they're being dangerous with them there are all sorts of powers they can use to sort it. It's just that the specific firearms legislation ( with its very heavy penalties) would not apply.

If they fire them at other People without permission from that person (IE in a play fight) then that's assault. If they fire at the cats or other animals then that's animal cruelty / causing unnecessary suffering to an animal.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now