Talk

Advanced search

To not give DS a birthday party?

(7 Posts)
Herzie29 Tue 30-Aug-16 20:34:16

DS will be 1 in a few weeks. We don't do christenings in our family, so when DD was 1 we had a big party for all the family as a kind of naming/welcome celebration. My sister did the same for her DCs so it's kind of expected.

Now though I have had a big falling out with my Dad and I don't want him coming to a party. Obviously DS won't care either way (unless he decides to worry about it in years to come). But AIBU to not celebrate at all just to avoid having to invite my Dad or offend him further by having the party without him? Is it fair on DS not to do the same for him as we did for DD?

usual Tue 30-Aug-16 20:36:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

jimbob1 Tue 30-Aug-16 20:36:47

To be honest at that age it is more about what you will feel in the future. Do you think you will regret it and feel guilty? I know I would but that doesn't mean you would feel the same.

Herzie29 Tue 30-Aug-16 20:38:49

I think that I'll be able to sort something out with my Dad in due course... But DS's birthday is too soon.

Can't you just skip the party and do something like take him (with maybe some cousins) to a sea life centre or similar?

FathomsDeep Tue 30-Aug-16 20:41:55

Can't you have a very small party with just you, your DD and DD? Just a cake, some balloons and 'Happy Birthday'. It avoids the awkward situation with your dad and your DS will still have photos to look at when he's older.

ConvincingLiar Tue 30-Aug-16 21:26:20

How old is DD? Can you get her to choose a lovely family day out (from a short list of appropriate options)?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now