Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to take my DDs to a night wedding ceremony?

(17 Posts)
TOXS Tue 30-Aug-16 19:56:02

My DH's cousin invited us to attend his wedding in Paris. My DDs (8&7 y o) will be the flower girls during the church ceremony.
My DH wants the girls to also attend the evening party that starts at 8pm. I know my DDs can stay up to midnight or even later if given enough rest during the day. And the host is fine with us bringing the girls (or maybe just being kind). And honestly I prefer to bring the girls than to leave them with a baby sitter in Paris.
But somehow I feel it's wrong to bring little girls to grown up party, AIBU?

Yarboosucks Tue 30-Aug-16 20:01:14

Well you know the hosts…. I suppose that is the bride or groom? Is it likely to get wild? If so, then I would say no. If it is likely to be a prolonged celebration and is not likely to get wild, then I would say yes, take them. Will the party be mainly French people? If so, then it is quite normal to take children to a later-night party.

kimmy726 Tue 30-Aug-16 20:02:04

Some of my favourite childhood memories are from family parties when I've been able to stay up late with the 'adults' and have a ball! See how the girls feel but id take them if it were me. They might crash in a corner or sleep on a few chairs pushed together. Might just be me but I loved all that. It'd be a shame going to Paris and them not going. Maybe you can have a babysitter on hand from say 10pm if they are getting tired? Have fun! X

NavyandWhite Tue 30-Aug-16 20:03:37

Host is fine with it, girls are up to it and DH wants them there.

I would take them! I imagine it would be a lovely experience for them.

Piehunter Tue 30-Aug-16 20:05:44

I had my 7 and 9 year old flower girls at my evening party, they stayed until near the end (about 12.30ish?) though the 7 year old ended up asleep under a table by then.. They were well behaved and really enjoyed being part of the "grown up" bit. There were plenty of VERY jolly people by then but was all perfectly appropriate. As a pp said, I remember being about 7 and being out late at a wedding party and loving the atmosphere and being part of it!

MrsJayy Tue 30-Aug-16 20:06:07

Kids sliding about a dance floor then zonking out is fine honest I'm not sure why you think it's U

Crunchymum Tue 30-Aug-16 20:08:50

What type of 'grown up' party are you thinking this will be OP?

Unless your kids are very poorly behaved I'd just take them if they are invited.

Nightfall1983 Tue 30-Aug-16 20:10:03

Last family wedding we went to my 3.5 year old was still on the dance floor at 11:30 - as were most his cousins. I don't understand why you are unsure though?

ConvincingLiar Tue 30-Aug-16 20:14:39

Where's the party? If you're staying at the same venue then I'd keep them up for as long as they can manage then siesta the next day. If they're invited and they'd enjoy it, let them go as a one off treat.

TOXS Tue 30-Aug-16 20:26:40

I don't know. I guess because I know it's a very fancy wedding party and I don't want to be the only one turning up with kids!
But I do agree with the memories the kids will make and the fun we will have as a family!

TOXS Tue 30-Aug-16 20:28:54

My DDs are very well behaved, and we are not staying in the same venue as the wedding party.
So I guess I will take them along, and worse cases we leave early.

jimbob1 Tue 30-Aug-16 20:31:33

Definitely take them they will love it!

mymatemax Tue 30-Aug-16 20:33:16

Go, have fun, relax & enjoy.

TOXS Tue 30-Aug-16 20:34:20

Will do. Thank you

Idliketobeabutterfly Tue 30-Aug-16 20:36:17

YANBU, we took DS to a family friends late birthday party and he loved it.

IloveJudgeJudy Tue 30-Aug-16 20:39:19

I've been to a few French weddings. The DC present just slept wherever or stayed up as did I in England and my DC, too.

Take them. They'll have fun and lasting memories

MrsJayy Tue 30-Aug-16 20:51:37

They will have a lovely day and feel very grown up if they are the only kids there and as you said you can leave if you feel they are to tired or whatever

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now