Talk

Advanced search

that there's no minimum age to be a passenger on a motorbike

(18 Posts)
Notapodling Tue 30-Aug-16 19:33:18

I've twice recently seen a young child (maybe 6?) on the back of a motorbike in my area, once in a 60mph zone.

I assumed it was illegal but apparently not.

I know someone will come on and say IBU but surely if a child that age has to have a car/booster seat in a car, back of a bike is far more dangerous?

This really surprised me.

Smrendell Tue 30-Aug-16 19:35:07

Some people ride bikes instead of driving cars.

AnchorDownDeepBreath Tue 30-Aug-16 19:36:38

Presumably they are wearing full safety gear?

I used to do it and loved it. Came to no harm.

acasualobserver Tue 30-Aug-16 19:37:53

They don't need a booster seat; they hang on like baby monkeys.

Notapodling Tue 30-Aug-16 19:41:34

It's not so much the booster, rather that there's nothing strapping them in, and nothing between them and the road.
I fully admit being a complete nervous nellie though blush

ErrolTheDragon Tue 30-Aug-16 19:41:41

https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q397.htm

Any passenger has to be able to sit properly with feet on supports and have a proper helmet. So presumably you cant do this without a bit of planning.

Still seems pretty dangerous.

thesnailandthewhale Tue 30-Aug-16 19:43:57

Yanbu, my ex used to threaten to pick ds up on his bike sometimes, purely because he knew I would worry myself silly at the thought of it. Luckily he never did but I totally agree, it seems madness that there are laws about wearing seatbelts / children being in correct booster seats but children are allowed to sit on the back of a motorbike.

booklooker Tue 30-Aug-16 19:45:34

It does seem a bit suprising to me, but then some say that motorbikes are safer that cars.

But I am also suprised if there is no lower age limit to a pillion passenger

Notsurewhyimhere Tue 30-Aug-16 19:46:55

My sister is 15 and goes on my dads motorbike. She loves it but my dad ensures she has all the safety clothing (helmet, boots, gloves etc)

JellyBelli Tue 30-Aug-16 19:48:01

I dont know anyone that says bikes are safer than cars. And I know loads of bikers.
None of them would put somone on pillion if they didnt feel it was safe because they'd have to live with the consequenses of an accident. Plus an unsafe passenger can cause one.

OSETmum Tue 30-Aug-16 19:50:26

DS is 7 and has been in the back of his grandad and uncles road bikes no problem. He has his own (off road) motorbike though so he's far more competent than many people (eg me!). I'd never let him go on a 60 mile an hour road though, just local streets.

FullTimeYummy Tue 30-Aug-16 19:51:43

Yes, it's legal and on average, more dangerous than a child being a passenger in a car.

But then it might offer logistical advantages and turn what might have been a trip in the back of a car with an ipad, into a parent and child life enriching experience.

What was your point again?

booklooker Wed 31-Aug-16 19:00:35

I dont know anyone that says bikes are safer than cars.

These people do

ridingsafely.com/ridingsafely1.html

Riding a motorcycle is safer than driving a car because riders see more, evade better, are more attentive, and assume less. The rider has higher stakes, but if they ride safely, are less likely to have an accident in the first place.

Funko Wed 31-Aug-16 19:05:46

Back in the day I'm 35 so not soooo far back I used to be happily on the back of my dads motorbike age 4 screaming to go faster grin

He didn't have a car licence back then and I had my own bright orange helmet and bike gear. I bloody loved it. Would I let my 10 year old on the back of a bike now? Not a bloody chance!
Double standards yes but even 21 years ago things were v different!

Less power in everything, almost no stupid speed bumps and everyone was naice and considerate on the roads probably not really

Funko Wed 31-Aug-16 19:06:15

31 years!! Fuck that now makes me feel ancient 😭

woahthehokeycokey Wed 31-Aug-16 19:10:02

Yep, totally legal as long as they can reach the foot pegs. Although depending on the bike I suppose the age could differ? hmm

booklooker Wed 31-Aug-16 19:20:20

When was the last time you saw a motorcyclist using a mobile when driving?

CustardOmlet Wed 31-Aug-16 19:31:44

It's not the motorcycle that's dangerous, it's the car drivers that don't look! I was 12 when i started riding on the back of my dads bike (when he got his licence) but he was extremely cautious and having been knocked off before, he didn't trust anyone else on the road. I agree 6 does sound young, but if they are in full gear and can be trusted to follow instructions then fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now