Talk

Advanced search

Leaving someone stranded at 1am at night

(450 Posts)
dranaksjd Tue 30-Aug-16 15:32:12

Honest opinions wanted here.

Here's the scenario. My friend (she's 26) foudn herself having to return home much later than she expected. This meant she had to get the last train home from Birmingham city centre.

There was a mix up on the departure board which meant she got on the wrong train and ended up in a tiny train station in a village quite far from any major city.

She was clearly distressed as she got off the train and a couple overheard her conversation to her friend. She explain she had only £10
On her, no bank card on her and no idea where she was and no charge on her phone to call anyone to see if they could pick her up.

The couple said they would take her to the main train station in the nearest city which was 10 minutes drive away.

So she got in the car. They dropped her off at that train station at 1am.

She then found a pub willing to let her charge her phone and then when the pub closed she returned to the train station at 2 am. It was at 4am before she realised she could do an emergency transaction using her natwest online banking app.
She comes across as someone who would be comfortably well off so I'm guessing the couple thought she had money but she had explained she did not have her card on her.

She then paid a lot of money for a taxi home.

Now obviously it was nice of the couple to give her a lift the the main train station, but it didn't actually help her much. And they left her at 1am with no cash on her, outside a train station which was boarded up and closed.

That doesn't sit well with me and isn't something I would do. Or am I being unreasonable? Obviously it was unwise of her to travel back at that time but she was not expecting that morning when she left the house to be travelling at that time.

Honest opinions wanted here. And I'm genuinely not the person this post is about.

Just genuinely interested in what others opinion is.

bloodyteenagers Tue 30-Aug-16 15:35:29

Was she with her friend or talking on the phone to her friend when at the quiet station?

HateSummer Tue 30-Aug-16 15:36:36

I don't get it. What did you expect them to do? They offered her a lift and she chose a major train station confused

dranaksjd Tue 30-Aug-16 15:36:45

Just speaking on the phone. She was alone.

Astoria797 Tue 30-Aug-16 15:37:31

Tbh she's lucky the couple even gave her a lift that late. I personally wouldn't have.

dranaksjd Tue 30-Aug-16 15:37:53

She didn't choose that. The couple only offered to take her to a main train station. She thought it better than nothing so accepted.

She has actually said she's really grateful. It's only me that thinks it's a bit wrong to have left her there. But I'm willing to be corrected.

OlennasWimple Tue 30-Aug-16 15:38:43

Better to be alone at a major station where there are other people and possibly taxis than in the middle of nowhere, surely? confused

I think the couple did a nice thing by giving her a lift, and it's a shame people would think badly of them for it

MaudGonneMad Tue 30-Aug-16 15:39:01

What did you expect them to do with her? Bring her home with them?

Sirzy Tue 30-Aug-16 15:39:43

So they were kind enough to take her somewhere central yet they are in the wrong for it?

Your friend should have been more careful to make sure she had got the right train and had her cards with her - lesson learnt for in future.

steff13 Tue 30-Aug-16 15:40:02

Why didn't she just call for a taxi from the pub?

FeckinCrutches Tue 30-Aug-16 15:40:38

I think they were very kind to drop her at a main station. Did you think they should have driven her all the way home at 1am?

Witchend Tue 30-Aug-16 15:40:45

I think they were really kind to give her a lift anywhere. Most people wouldn't.

And the "I've only got £x and need to get to far off place" is a known scam-often from quite nicely dressed/spoken people so that's what people tend to assume.

HeCantBeSerious Tue 30-Aug-16 15:41:18

At 26 she should know better than to travel so ill-prepared.

bloodyteenagers Tue 30-Aug-16 15:41:27

But her phone was dead?

So what would you have wanted them to do.. Take her with them. Pay for a b&b/hotel. Drive her to her own home?

ElspethFlashman Tue 30-Aug-16 15:41:29

She had enough charge to be on the phone to someone??

confused

Also I'm sorry but your friend sounds like a total flake.

No bank card?

Takes an hour in a pub to charge her phone???

Goes back to a deserted train station at 2am??

Only thinks about online banking 2 hrs later? And how did she pay a lot of money for the taxi with no card?

Is this a wind up?

TheCrowFromBelow Tue 30-Aug-16 15:41:39

Not sure what you're asking really - they got her back to somewhere she could get a cab from. Do you think they should have taken her home? Or found her a hotel?
Is this a test scenario for a natwest advert?

SillyMoomin Tue 30-Aug-16 15:41:44

grin steff my thoughts exactly!

Idliketobeabutterfly Tue 30-Aug-16 15:41:53

Yikes, she's not a kid.

jumpjumpformylove Tue 30-Aug-16 15:42:46

She made a mistake with her train, but had the money to get a taxi home. What's the problem?

AIBU in thinking some people like to find blame where there's no blame due?

LadyintheRadiator Tue 30-Aug-16 15:42:52

What was she doing between 2 and 4? Why not phone a taxi from the pub?

Jackie0 Tue 30-Aug-16 15:44:15

She was very fortunate those people gave her a lift, that was quite a risky thing for them to do.
She doesn't seem very responsible .

YelloDraw Tue 30-Aug-16 15:46:18

Better to be at a major station than in the middle of no where - taxi's, people etc.

Couple did a nice thing. What else should they have done? Taken her home, given her a cup of hot chocolate and tucked her up in bed?

As a PP says, its a total scam the "I've only got £10 and need to get to [x]". Friend could have found a police station and sought help there to call a friend or parent if she was so distressed by her situation.

pauldacreshairlessnutsack Tue 30-Aug-16 15:46:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

dranaksjd Tue 30-Aug-16 15:47:04

Her phone died after speaking to her friend. She stayed in the pub that long trying to get a lift. Didn't have the money to get a taxi until she realised about online banking.

she didn't think of ordering a taxi with the promise of her getting her card from
Home and returning to a cash point. That's what I would have done.

If you plan to leave at 5pm then you're not that likely to have a spare £100 in your bag for emergencies.

Sirzy Tue 30-Aug-16 15:47:41

Who was she trying to get a lift from in the pub?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now