We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

The school run has ruined my baby

(24 Posts)
Rollonbedtime7pm Tue 30-Aug-16 13:17:40

DD2 is 4 months, I worked really hard over the summer to get her napping in her cot at least once a day.

She started to do some excellent naps, 2 hours. She usually sleeps right at the time we have to go to school so put her down in the pram this morning -had a crappy little half hour, refused to go back to sleep.

Wouldn't go off in cot mid morning so we went out and she had another crappy half hour in the car. Wanted to get her a decent couple of hours before pick up but she is currently crying and thrashing in the cot.

Her naps are ruined aren't they. sad

AnchorDownDeepBreath Tue 30-Aug-16 13:19:23

She'll adjust. You might have a rough few days while she does, though!

Stevefromstevenage Tue 30-Aug-16 13:21:23

Not necessarily I always found our got better with the school run once it became routine. The days are so much more structured when school is back so I found that really helped. I hope it gets sorted.

Rollonbedtime7pm Tue 30-Aug-16 13:24:20

I've just lost it as she is still twatting around in the cot.

I fucking hate putting babies to sleep!!!!

WIBU to just shut the door? She is clearly shattered so just needs to go to sleep.

DeadGood Tue 30-Aug-16 13:24:55

She will adjust but I feel your pain OP. I hated anything getting in the way of my carefully orchestrated nap routine. And the handful of times I had to wake the DC up from naps I found unbearable!

MaisieDotes Tue 30-Aug-16 13:26:30

Daytime sleep cuts right down at four months anyway, OP.

ImperialBlether Tue 30-Aug-16 13:26:32

Someone on here was talking about a white noise app - have you looked at something like that?

juneau Tue 30-Aug-16 13:30:40

You'll need to adjust her napping times to fit in - there is no other way around this. At four months is she sleeping twice a day? If so I'd try something like 9.30-10.30am and 1-3pm (or 12.30-2.30pm).

Rollonbedtime7pm Tue 30-Aug-16 13:33:31

Maisie she has just increased it actually, was napping like crap but improved in the last couple of weeks.

She has a Ewan the sheep but tbh, white noise hasn't worked for her since she was tiny. We just use the music on it to make a sleep association with being put in the cot.

She's asleep now, thank God. Looks like we have a crappy few weeks until she adjusts and starts to stretch her nap until after school run.

youarenotkiddingme Tue 30-Aug-16 13:39:03

I thinks she'll adjust. And actually if you can get her to sleep on afternoon school run and stay asleep in pram it should give you some time after school to sort other DC/DCs out with snacks and stuff.
Keeping after school a calm event until witching hour arrives!

Heirhelp Tue 30-Aug-16 14:00:16

Two hour naps. I would would if 3 and half month old did that I would be so happy. Has she just turned 4 months? A 4 months there is a big sleep regression.

Cherylene Tue 30-Aug-16 14:07:31

I used to vacuum the landing or the bedrooms or something - 'white noise' (of sorts) and the little horrors knew I was there close, so not abandoned. They had their bedroom door pulled to but not shut and musical mobile to watch.

CedricSydneySneer Tue 30-Aug-16 14:11:26

It's really hard and I've been there trying to juggle naps times feed times and school run.

She's still so young though. She will adjust to a new routine.

I think ds used to have a short nap say 9.30-10, then a nap say 1-3, then another nap 4.30-5.00.

MintyChops Tue 30-Aug-16 16:01:56

I would hav closed the door, made a cuppa and sat outside with earplugs in (hate crying, know they have to cry it out sometimes)

MLGs Tue 30-Aug-16 16:05:35

No advice but my memory is the little buggers like to have their naps right when you can't have a rest also. So when you're out of the house basically.

julfin Tue 30-Aug-16 16:07:43

My health visitor said that, when the baby is over-tired and needs to sleep, it's fine just to leave him crying in the cot for up to 15 minutes. More than that and he might actually be unhappy about something (eg hungry/wet) so you should pick him up and check. But 15 mins is fine and he'll normally go to sleep if he's tired. Good luck!

julfin Tue 30-Aug-16 16:08:35

(I say "him" because mine's a him!)

RiverTam Tue 30-Aug-16 16:09:06

Can't you walk to school, that could give her a good amount of time to nap?

OhtoblazeswithElvira Tue 30-Aug-16 16:18:39

DC2 used to be the same. Fall asleep 15 mins before the school run, wake up as soon I put him in the pram, refuse to go back to sleep and be in a foul mood the rest of the day. He never got he hang of it.

<helpful>

Rollonbedtime7pm Tue 30-Aug-16 17:14:59

Yep, we do walk to school, as I said I put her in the pram this morning and she was awake after 30 mins and that was that.

I do appreciate there is a sleep regression at this age but she slept for hours yesterday so not sure it has any connection to today!!

So hard, this is the 1st baby I have had to do this with (she's my 3rd) - am appreciating the early days with the other 2 when we could set our own schedule!

RiverTam Tue 30-Aug-16 17:44:32

Sorry, thought you mentioned car for pick up.

Um, well, it's a bugger. Maybe post in Larger Families for some tips?

wornoutboots Tue 30-Aug-16 17:56:35

my younger two both learned that school run = nap time in the pram/buggy.
then I park it in the hall way and leave them there to sleep on.

CedricSydneySneer Tue 30-Aug-16 18:09:46

It will get better.

T0ddlerSlave Tue 30-Aug-16 18:29:03

Might not be the school run. 4 month sleep regression...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now