I know I am - but need tips to cope and be positive

(14 Posts)
ginorwine Tue 30-Aug-16 11:50:16

Hello
Feel somewhat embarrassed to be stressed about this and I kno I am b u but stuggle .
Neighbour has been building a large garden and music room since spring on a mostly daily basis
He is v considerate in that he start s about 9 am
He is very meticulous and has build concrete base etc and it is taking so long !
We have an access Thro our garden s for access for bins and he has been wheelbarrowing materials thro past my kitchen door ( it is only way ) most of this period . I knew this when we bought the properly but it's not really been such a public hi way before .
It is going on so long . !!
He is now building the wood structure plank by plank - drilling , hammering . I know I can't tell him to hurry up but it has been all spring all summer and now it look s like it wil be Autumn too .
He has put this room within 2 feet of my summer house .i feel invaded really .
and I've not felt comfortable sitting in mine for the whole summer due to the noise . / nearness .
I know he tries to be considerate but it has started to spoil being in the garden - right now there is more drilling it's like being at the dentist.
I know he has every right to do this and at his speed - please can anyone advise how to chill re this as I wait for it to start each day and am on edge about and feel agitated as well as I'm giving murderous looks now ! 😁
Am going to talk to his partner today as she has said she wants to alter the outside of the house at the back next year. I Wd like to ask for notice so that we can arrange to be on holiday as builders Wd need to come thro our garden to move the stone etc ( this year the neighbours wheelbarrow damaged our lawn from its wheel going over same spot )
Re the current project I'm wondering if I can ask him not to start till 9 am as a set thing and I will sit in my garden before then . I have tried earplugs as well as music via headphone - tho really I just want to hear the trees etc
I wonder if I'm just too noise sensitive and need to move . !
Any tips on positively managing this - I'm b u but need advice how to be less so 😳😞 I feel like going to live on a field.

Spaghettidog Tue 30-Aug-16 11:52:39

But, noise etc aside, did you object at the planning stage on the grounds of loss of privacy/proximity to your summer house etc?

ginorwine Tue 30-Aug-16 12:35:51

No they just started it .
It's at the bottom of the garden . Ours is too . They are very long very thin gardens .

ginorwine Tue 30-Aug-16 12:37:47

I thought that you are able to errect if below a certain height . There was , in part of the space and old garden shed there before . This was however just briefly visited and music not played from it .

ginorwine Tue 30-Aug-16 12:38:11

Planning was not requested .?

wowfudge Tue 30-Aug-16 12:45:29

Could you not just ask them how much longer it is going to take as it impinging on your enjoyment of your own garden and the constant toing and froing means you have no privacy either? The problem if you say nothing is that they'll just carry on and think you are alright with everything.

You can do this in a pleasant way - you can see how much care and attention to detail he is taking and you know that they have tried to be considerate when doing noisy work, but it's now reached the stage where you are wondering whether you'll be able to enjoy your garden undisturbed before the winter.

Grittyshunts Tue 30-Aug-16 12:46:57

YANBU to feel stressed about this but don't know the solution to "chill" (sorry)
We have a similar access situation, our back door (only access to garden) is shared with our neighbour and they have taken to sitting with side table, book, mobile phone and bottle of squash between the two houses from 12-7 every single day when the sun is out! angry can't sit in the garden, hang washing or anything without being talked AT. Now I'm BU but it's driving me nuts. I feel for you flowers

ginorwine Tue 30-Aug-16 14:32:37

Thanks all
Been round
Agreed not to start work till 9 for sure so I can sit out in quiet till then
They are however going to put a first floor balcony on back of the house which will be next to my lounge ( tall townhouses ) which will involve removal of window and stone and a door ..

PersianCatLady Tue 30-Aug-16 14:55:35

Does your neighbour actually have planning permission for this structure?

Have you checked your local council's planning regulations and their register of applications to see if he has got it?

ginorwine Tue 30-Aug-16 14:58:47

No as far as I know
Another neighbour told her she didn't need it as it Wd be made of wood and not permanent structure
I just rang council - you need permission
I hate this - I don't want fall out !

Oakmaiden Tue 30-Aug-16 15:00:01

He may well not need planning permission, depending on the size.

ginorwine Tue 30-Aug-16 15:07:36

It is a small balcony
It will directly overlook me

PersianCatLady Tue 30-Aug-16 16:15:56

If he hasn't got planning permission (if it is needed) then I would be seriously concerned about what other corners he is willing to cut.

If I were you I would still inform the council about the building works and let them decide.

liz70 Tue 30-Aug-16 16:27:13

You don't need planning permission for a structure of 4 metres height or lower.

www.planningni.gov.uk/index/advice/advice_apply/advice_apply_homes/advice_around_home/advice_home_structures.htm

The music would be a seperate issue if you felt it constituted a nuisance and threatened your right to peaceful enjoyment of your garden.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now