Advanced search

To ask about your dc with ASD and their education?

(8 Posts)
rockyroad3 Tue 30-Aug-16 09:27:50

Posting here for traffic as I am at my wits end.

DS11 has been home educated since P2. He was born with genetic issues meaning lots of hospital stays and operations. Long story cut short I withdrew him from school as he had a lot of anxiety related to school, regressed with toileting (still in nappies) school refusual etc. School were rubbish quite frankly and seemed relieved when I withdrew him.

Fast forward several years and he has an ASD/ADHD diagnosis. The panel said they unanimously agreed home was the best place for him, which in a way is great as he is very settled and anxiety levels are at minimum. However, I do have concerns about his education further on down the line, particularly regarding GCSE's. I don't feel I can give what is required at this level and particularly have worries regarding subjects that require a controlled assessment (which cannot be done as external candidate) and the alternative IGCSE's are harder, which he may not be able to manage.

The education board have basically told me that he would not be able to get any help in school unless he had a statement, and that couldn't be obtained until he actually went to school and the approx waiting time is 18 months. There is no way he could go to a large secondary school without any help (mostly related to social anxiety, but some learning difficulties) for that length of time.

I suppose what i am asking is what help/support your child gets and how did you go about it? I am in NI if that makes a difference.

Many thanks

redcaryellowcar Tue 30-Aug-16 09:31:21

I'm sorry I don't know the answer to this but very interested in the responses? I have a very anxious boy who when he started school, the message was that he wouldn't get any help until he got a statement, and he could just carry on getting more anxious until they deemed him sufficiently needy. We moved him to a different school where he has thrived.

helpimitchy Tue 30-Aug-16 09:33:07

Have you heard of online schools? These can offer a good alternative to conventional secondary schooling.

My ds2 has aspergers, ocd and acute anxiety and we're looking at online schooling for him if he doesn't cope with secondary.

Take a look at InterHigh on Google. There are other online schools as well. They can provide a good range of GCSEs and A Levels.

FauxFox Tue 30-Aug-16 09:38:21

Statements have been replaced with a thing called an EHCP. I don't know why they are saying he would have to go to school for 18months before he would be eligible for one - that's ridiculous! It's the same document for physical disabilities and I cannot see them saying a blind child would have to just wing it for 18 months with no support/adaptations?! Call for some independent advice.

Good luck x

rockyroad3 Tue 30-Aug-16 10:07:28

Thanks for the replies.

I have looked into Interhigh and the like but do not feel it is suitable as ds is not academically age appropriate. He would need work differentiated which AFAIK is beyond their remit. Lessons are also 40 minutes long which again he would need time out from for movement etc which logistically is difficult. I would also have to sit beside him the whole time to keep him focused which isn't ideal.

Faux we had an EP report/assessment done last year that stated that ds was a very calm, relaxed, happy he was assessed in our home where he felt calm and relaxed hmm therefore she said he would not be eligible for any help/support based on what she saw.

Really if I was putting him into school now there is only actually one secondary that he could go to, so no actual choice.

Merrymumoftwo Tue 30-Aug-16 10:12:26

Can you look at a SEN school with viewings I know normally they insist on an EHCP first but given background would they allow? Alternatively a mainstream but for a few hours one day a week to get the process started?

SisterViktorine Tue 30-Aug-16 10:17:16

Unfortunately I think most families who get an EHCP for 'hidden disabilities' go through a period where their DC is really struggling at school. The required 'proof' that a pupil needs additional resources it their failure to cope without it. Awful system.

AttilaTheMeerkat Tue 30-Aug-16 10:17:36


Please repost this in the SN:Children's thread on the MN site; you will get more replies that way also.

Would also agree with the advice to contact IPSEA.

Re your comment:-

"Faux we had an EP report/assessment done last year that stated that ds was a very calm, relaxed, happy he was assessed in our home where he felt calm and relaxed hmm therefore she said he would not be eligible for any help/support based on what she saw".

EP has fobbed you off and has not done her job at all. With an ASD/ADHD diagnosis you should personally apply for an EHCP.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now