To think going to Disney is a ridiculous indulgence?

(327 Posts)
thoroughlymodernmummy Mon 29-Aug-16 20:52:21

Now, maybe i would feel differently if I could afford to go without completely skunk ring myself grinbut as it stands, we can't and I can't help but think that spending such huge amounts on one holiday is crazy!

We watch Disney and enjoy it, and I'm well aware that it's people's money to spend how they like but I just can't help but think it's a silly wage of money? Anyone agree?

thoroughlymodernmummy Mon 29-Aug-16 20:53:31

Skunk ring?? *Skinting

Lilaclily Mon 29-Aug-16 20:53:52

Well it's the same as paying a few grand on any holiday surely

Different strokes for different folks

DerekSprechenZeDick Mon 29-Aug-16 20:54:06

If you had the money would you go?

Yes. It's only silly to you because you don't have the money. Same reason I think it's silly. grin

I'd be there in a heartbeat if I could in all
Honesty

EllaHen Mon 29-Aug-16 20:54:22

I agree. Dh and dc don't though. Not sure how much longer I can avoid it.

Tabsicle Mon 29-Aug-16 20:56:19

Eh. It's an expensive holiday, but so is skiing or safari or going to see the Northern Lights. If you can afford it, and it brings you pleasure, why not?

FeckinCrutches Mon 29-Aug-16 20:58:14

It's not a waste of money if it's something you want to thoug?

Rosae Mon 29-Aug-16 20:58:17

I had my honeymoon at Disneyland Paris and our 6 year anniversary (last Before kids) at Disney world in America. I'd also been to Paris around age 7. Loved it each time. But didn't Just spend time in the parks. There's alot you can experience in and around those areas. Not a waste at all!

PinkSparklyPussyCat Mon 29-Aug-16 20:58:26

Nope, YABU! We don't have children and have been to Orlando twice and we're going back next year. Personally I think paying thousands to go somewhere like the Maldives just to sit on a beach is a waste of money but I know I'm in a minority there!

Obviously I might feel differently about Disney if we had to pay for children althoug DH has grandchildren but I've got no intention of taking them!

blueskyinmarch Mon 29-Aug-16 20:58:28

Of course it is. Any holiday is an indulgence. Surely that is the point of holidays?

CinderellaFant Mon 29-Aug-16 20:58:39

Surely all holidays are a waste of money then?

thoroughlymodernmummy Mon 29-Aug-16 20:58:41

I suppose what I actually wonder is it silly to put yourself in debt to go when you can't afford?

Of course I'd go if I was rich, I'd also eat from marks and Spencer's! But as it is, I eat from aldi (no shame) and wouldn't be paying of a Disney holiday for years!

Grilledaubergines Mon 29-Aug-16 20:59:34

If you can afford it and want to go, how can it be a waste of money?

I went and hated it, but I didn't go for me, I went for the DC and they loved every single moment.

thoroughlymodernmummy Mon 29-Aug-16 20:59:49

But maybe I need to loosen up!

Partiallycloudy Mon 29-Aug-16 21:00:51

Disney is never a waste of money! You wash your mouth out!!!

My ds is 7 months and I have googled several times "how young is too young for Disney?!"

I've been 3 times and it's the most entertaining holiday I've ever had. There isn't anything they haven't thought of.
To me, a waste of money is going on holiday to just sit on a sun lounger!

FeckinCrutches Mon 29-Aug-16 21:01:17

Why do you think people are putting themselves in debt to go?
And why pick Disney? Is it less worthy than another type of holiday?

Geekmama Mon 29-Aug-16 21:01:40

I love Disney, we go to DLP about once a year. We have just booked WDW for next summer staying at the wilderness lodge. I really can't wait, I think it's worth every single penny. smile but each to their own smile

Jizzomelette Mon 29-Aug-16 21:01:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Jizzomelette Mon 29-Aug-16 21:02:06

WipsGlitter Mon 29-Aug-16 21:02:06

Friends of ours go every year. Am sure it's costs a fortune. But they enjoy it and can easily afford it. Not my cup of tea but the my would hate our self catering holidays too!!

Tinklypoo Mon 29-Aug-16 21:02:12

thoroughlymodernmummy Mon 29-Aug-16 21:02:31

I think the over saturation of Disney posts on social media may have gotten to me! hmm

NatalieRushman Mon 29-Aug-16 21:02:47

I'm another one who thinks sitting on a beach in the Maldives is no difference to a beach in Spain. But Disney is quite fun, and it's an experience that kids like and will remember - I don't recall any particular differences between beaches I've visited. You are doing it wrong if you only go to Disney though - there are so many places around it to visit!

Lilaclily Mon 29-Aug-16 21:02:54

Who is this thread aimed at ? Who is in debt ?

Astoria797 Mon 29-Aug-16 21:03:26

YABU. I think people have to be realistic about their own finances when planning holidays. But that doesn't mean someone who can't afford a trip should judge someone who can.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now