Talk

Advanced search

If you cant drive faster than 30mph on a rural road why visit a rural location

(162 Posts)
JustAnotherPoster00 Mon 29-Aug-16 18:00:01

I live in a rural part of Wales and I'm sick of inconsiderate drivers not pulling over when they clearly have a cue of 15 cars behind them because they're so happy daudling along. I understand if they're nervous that's ok just pull over and let us very frustrated drivers by.

Rant Over blush

ABloodyDifficultWoman Mon 29-Aug-16 18:02:11

Queue. It's a queue of cars. And as I understand it the speed limit is just that - a limit and NOT a target. You are unlikely to die or suffer too badly from being a few minutes later at your destination than you might wish to be.

Witchend Mon 29-Aug-16 18:03:02

I used to live in a very rural but touristy area and I hated far more seeing the accidents where someone who hadn't known the road had gone too fast.

peneleope82 Mon 29-Aug-16 18:04:06

I feel the same about people who can't navigate busy one way systems in the city I live in at the correct speed forcing me to get stuck at numerous red lights hmm

(I don't actually but I'm sure you get my point)

Andbabymakesthree Mon 29-Aug-16 18:04:08

And learn to hedge your car if necessary!

MouldyPeach Mon 29-Aug-16 18:04:28

Why do you think the drivers are nervous? I hate it when local drivers fly down country roads, just because they know every bend and concealed entry doesn't mean they won't cause an accident.

Sirzy Mon 29-Aug-16 18:04:37

Depending on the roads that is often a sensible speed to go at. Unless it's an unusually straight, wide rural road I would say it was a sensible speed for a fair few rural roads really, especially if you don't know the road.

Stormyseasallround Mon 29-Aug-16 18:05:24

Having crawled through the countryside behind a snailesque driver today, I'm with you OP. Yes the speed limit is a maximum, but it's also a guidance. If it says 60, conditions are good, and you're doing 20, then you're a fucking menace who shouldn't be on the roads.

Lucydogz Mon 29-Aug-16 18:05:44

You mean like the rural road that I used to live on, with lots of bends that could have walkers, cyclists or horse riders just round the corner? Don't worry, there's plenty of idiots like you who think it's ok to drive inconsiderately because they are just so fucking important. And no, YABU. .

Sirzy Mon 29-Aug-16 18:06:16

There are plenty of roads here which although in theory national speed limit applies you would have to have a death wish to get anywhere close to that!

JustAnotherPoster00 Mon 29-Aug-16 18:07:01

Its not their speed I object to its the inconsiderate nature of not pulling over its your average typical A road with a 60 mph limit.

Thanks for the spelling correction, pedantic, but still informative.

WelleWell Mon 29-Aug-16 18:07:56

You're supposed to go that slow if there's lots of bends. It's a speed limit not a target.

Pardonwhat Mon 29-Aug-16 18:10:42

I could have wrote this post!! I was stuck behind someone doing 25mph on National speed limit roads for about 15 minutes and as soon as we hit a village, which is very clearly a 30 zone, they sped up to 40mph confused

TheWitTank Mon 29-Aug-16 18:12:36

I don't know, maybe they are local and sick of bell ends driving like they are in a Grand Prix? My horse is stabled next to a rural road, national speed limit. No kerbs, white lines and narrow in places, with tractors, riders, cyclists and joggers. No way it is safe to do 60, ever. Yet people do!

jcsp Mon 29-Aug-16 18:13:10

My brother in law lost his mum and sister when he was a child. He's now a farmer and sadly history repeated itself.

Tractors are slow and it's not always safe or possible to pull over. So he's driving along, narrow road, impatient driver behind decided to overtake.

Result - fatal accident. My Bil was ok, shaken and upset. Other chap lost his head - literally.

What's a few minutes.

CP

LikeDylanInTheMovies Mon 29-Aug-16 18:13:30

* I hate it when local drivers fly down country roads, just because they know every bend and concealed entry doesn't mean they won't cause an accident.*

This ^^

Because they know they can physically take the upcoming hairpin at 50 mph without planting themselves in a ditch or into a lampost doesn't mean they are driving safely or in appropriate way for the conditions. If a car pulls out from a side-road or what have you, they are still going to have an almighty crash. They are just banking on the fact that the roads are lightly used to save them from disaster.

AnotherOneBitesTheDust9 Mon 29-Aug-16 18:14:09

I don't understand why people do 40 in a 60 and then carry on doing 40 when it goes to a 30. That's what people do round here! Ridiculous.

Sometimes people do 25 on the 60 road. I do wish they'd pull over because I do find that annoying. You can guarantee people will try to (often recklessly) overtake out of frustration and I have seen a lot of near misses with the slow drivers choosing to speed up when someone goes to overtake, making them struggle to get back in lane.

gonzo155 Mon 29-Aug-16 18:14:31

I'm with you. Of course on very windy roads 30 mph may be sensible but around here they do it on even the big roads as they want to take pictures - just pull over!!

I also live where there are single track roads that get full of tourists in the summer. The tourists don't seem to understand the idea of pulling into the passing places, or not forming a huge queue right behind the passing place or having to reverse back to let someone go etc. etc. They just all queue up, occasionally someone will move an inch or so until someone takes charge or one of us locals opens a gate to an empty field to allow the queue to clear (yes, I know not everyone might like this but round here it's the done thing and the farmers don't mind).

Trifleorbust Mon 29-Aug-16 18:14:43

Of course it is inconsiderate to refuse to pull over, but your AIBU isn't quite worded that way, is it? A slow driver still might have relatives or somewhere they need to be that involves driving on rural roads. You don't own the road. confused

TheOnlyLivingBoyInNewCross Mon 29-Aug-16 18:16:04

Why is the correction pedantic? A cue is something entirely different from a queue, so it's not just a case of getting the spelling wrong but the meaning being the same.

user1471734618 Mon 29-Aug-16 18:17:27

quite honestly the longer I lived in the country, the slower I drove.
there is always stuff around the corner.

user1471734618 Mon 29-Aug-16 18:18:20

Obviously in this context the meaning of 'cue' was not in question.

Bumpk1n Mon 29-Aug-16 18:18:24

What's even more dangerous are drivers on 70mph roads doing less than 50. I see it regularly on my commute to and from work. And generally it is older drivers.
It causes queues and creates a situation where drivers who have had to slow down then have to pull out into the other lane where cars are driving at 70.

Sirzy Mon 29-Aug-16 18:19:20

I wouldn't pull up just because the driver behind me was impatient. I drive at the speed I deem safe for the road conditions and I am not being forced to change that by someone who is impatient!

specialsubject Mon 29-Aug-16 18:20:17

Impatient drivers kill - we get one a week dead or life-changed round here. Pity it is not always the impatient one that dies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now