To think this is a fabulous idea

(11 Posts)
WankingMonkey Mon 29-Aug-16 15:42:24

So I went to our local tescos to do the shop today. When we got to the fruit aisle, there is a little basket filled with bananas and oranges with a sign stating 'free. please take one if you are feeling hungry'

This is new..it wasn't there 2 weeks back.

I worry slightly though, that some will take the piss, take a banana for example and throw the skin on the floor, which is an accident waiting to happen.

But generally..I think its great.

Coconutty Mon 29-Aug-16 15:44:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HardToDeal Mon 29-Aug-16 15:46:28

But they always have bananas in Tesco, so the skin-on-floor horror could happen any time. The whole shop's a death trap, basically.

CakeNinja Mon 29-Aug-16 15:49:02

Ours does this but specifies that it's for children. I think it's a clever move and hope people don't take the piss.

WankingMonkey Mon 29-Aug-16 15:51:55

But they always have bananas in Tesco, so the skin-on-floor horror could happen any time. The whole shop's a death trap, basically.

But usually..people wouldn't be munching a banana while walking about would they. This increases the risk somewhat. I don't think its a substantial risk, I didn't even think of it til DH pointed that part out to me grin

More moves like this could help a lot with people being generally healthier I think too..though this is a tiny drop in the ocean when you put everything in perspective

SnakeWitch Mon 29-Aug-16 15:52:41

I think it's great but there are no bins for the skins, peel etc. I must try to remember to take kitchen roll in my bag to wrap it in till we get to the door!

Queenbean Mon 29-Aug-16 15:53:14

Banana skins aren't actually that slippery. They did a test of them on some TV show and it's actually really hard to slip over on them

Toast3 Mon 29-Aug-16 15:56:48

I agree, I think it's a great idea as long as people don't get greedy and take too many!

whatstheplanphil Mon 29-Aug-16 15:57:23

In our Tesco a person is there offering a piece of fruit and a small bag for the waste - it keeps my ds happy for a few minutes as he hates going in to Tesco with a passion .

Hiphopapotamus4 Mon 29-Aug-16 15:57:30

Ours has this but to be honest I cannot stand it when people walk around the supermarket eating the food as they go - can you not wait 20minites until you get to your car at least?!

I think part of the problem with obesity is people don't realise it's actually ok to feel hungry.

(I obviously understand that some people need to eat to keep blood sugar levels up etc. However these people tend to be aware of their condition and would just have something on hand in their bag/car/etc and if it was that urgent would you really be doing your weekly shop!)

WankingMonkey Mon 29-Aug-16 16:00:57

I wouldn't take any for myself (unless I happened to get pregnant again, as I had really weird spells where I felt seriously faint until I ate something. Even if I wasn't hungry) but its so useful for the kids.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now