Talk

Advanced search

To go to a restaurant for Christmas dinner?

(88 Posts)
PinkyOfPie Mon 29-Aug-16 11:21:28

I'll be almost 9 months pregnant on Christmas Day. We haven't committed to having people over this year but we did always say as we are in a new house we want to have Xmas day at ours. However I really couldn't be arsed cooking a full Christmas dinner when I'm gonna be the size of a house (I was enormous with DD and already huge with this one at 5 months). DH's cooking skills are limited to omelette and beans on toast, everything else he burns or ruins!

We thought about going to family's but TBH I want to be somewhere I can be fat lay down and make myself comfortable if I need to, I'm not a very good house guest at the best of times.

DH has suggested going for a meal just us 2 and DD. A local pub is doing a 3-course meal for £40 per adult £15 per child. Steep but we spend a lot on food for the day anyway.

I think I'd feel bad though, I did waitressing in my student days and always felt sorry for the staff who had to work for a pittance on Xmas day. I also think it might look unsociable to family confused then again to have no food to make or mess to clean sounds like heaven grin is it the 'done thing' with anybody?

limon Mon 29-Aug-16 11:22:47

YAbu! !

limon Mon 29-Aug-16 11:23:57

Yanbu! !

mrschatty Mon 29-Aug-16 11:24:27

We've done it 2x once just me dh and mil and then last year I was 37w pregnant and cba cooking.
We went out for a meal with me dh mil sil bil and their 2 kids it was great no stress and then back to sil for cheese board. I actually preferred it as so stress free but you don't get as much food as you would when your at your own home!
As someone who was pg last Christmas I absolutely recommend it
And you can just go home after and RELAX

limon Mon 29-Aug-16 11:24:30

Woops. Definitely fine to do.

Crisscrosscranky Mon 29-Aug-16 11:25:58

If we could afford it is love to do this- the idea of walking to the pub all together, having a meal that no one at the table has stressed over and then walking home to a clean kitchen so I'd have more time to play with my DD her new toys sounds perfect. The local pub here charges £80 a head though and We have a large extended family who can't all afford it.

NuggetofPurestGreen Mon 29-Aug-16 11:26:04

My aunt and cousins did this last year they loved it. Sounds ideal for you.

Dizzylizzie29 Mon 29-Aug-16 11:27:01

Did it last year with a tiny one and enjoyed the stress free experience. Would recommend (as long as the place is good for food and portions- I was a little disappointed not to be completely stuffed to the brim like I am at home 😂)

Soubriquet Mon 29-Aug-16 11:27:16

We did it a few years ago

The staff were happy and jolly and it was short restaurant hours

Please do it. You deserve to rest

HelenaJustina Mon 29-Aug-16 11:28:00

I would do it in a heartbeat. You'll spend most of the day with all your home comforts in your new house but not have any if the cooking serving or clearing to do. Even better if you can walk there and build a little fresh air into the day.

Book it today!

Keepingupwiththejonesys Mon 29-Aug-16 11:28:12

I know lots of people who go out to eat on Christmas day. We sometimes have a big meal at my sisters and other times at my parents (we do a buffet/party style thing one day in December when everyone is available) but there has been about two years when we've had separate meals with just our own little families and on those occasions my mum and dad have their Christmas meal at the local.

I was a chef before having kids and never minded working Christmas. All the orders where already in do prep done the days before and once the last people where done if go home. A lot of places take the last bookings around 4 so you're not there late. The double pay was enough to make me do it each year lol

HelenaJustina Mon 29-Aug-16 11:28:46

Thinking about it, even if you're early with this baby. Wandering down there with a newborn in a prism will be more relaxing than almost any alternative!

MillionToOneChances Mon 29-Aug-16 11:28:56

The trouble is, what if baby comes early and you miss out on that non-refundable meal? Round here, at least, Christmas dinner is by pre-purchased ticket only.

HelenaJustina Mon 29-Aug-16 11:28:58

Prism? Pram!

Jaimx86 Mon 29-Aug-16 11:31:04

No! We do this most years and have a get together with family after. It's lovely to see families all dressed up and having a nice time.

thefairyfellersmasterstroke Mon 29-Aug-16 11:35:11

YANBU. We've done it occasionally over the years, either with other family or just us. We've been to organised hotel "dos", posh restaurants, a transport caff, an Italian and an Indian restaurant, and they've all been just fine. Not the same relaxation as being at home however, so if that's important to you then perhaps you need another think about it.

I too was very pregnant one Xmas (birth on 28th) and had trouble keeping any food down for the last month. XH made a small-ish dinner which I just nibbled at really then threw up. If you were hoping to have the family over then why not do that, but ask everyone to bring a something each to the meal, so all you'd need to do is re-heat and serve up. Otherwise a restaurant would be a good alternative.

jennielou75 Mon 29-Aug-16 11:45:31

We did it once but they did a showy meal that was actually not very good. If we did it again we would do a pub or carvery where they stick to a roast with extras. It was great though not to have to worry about cooking or washing up!

Mrscog Mon 29-Aug-16 11:46:59

Sounds brilliant. Just tip the waiting staff well if you feel guilty smile

Whatthefucknameisntalreadytake Mon 29-Aug-16 11:47:29

We do this most years, I love it. I love not stressing about the Christmas food shop, I love that we can all have different things to eat without ending up wasting stuff, I love that there's no washing up and I love the atmosphere, wherever we go there's always been a lovely atmosphere on Christmas Day.

Funko Mon 29-Aug-16 11:48:15

I did it the one and only Christmas Day I was very preggers ..gave birth on 29th 😀

Do it, it's fab! No stress, no mess, no washing up

GabsAlot Mon 29-Aug-16 11:48:45

go for it

done it a couple of times over the years when it was awkward times or smeone was pregnant/justgiven birth

enjoy it

madein1995 Mon 29-Aug-16 11:49:09

YANBU as such but I don't think it'll reach your expectations. You could probably relax more at home, for eg when at a pub you've got to look vaguely decent whereas at home you can dress in your pjs if you want. Also, pub dinner almost certainly won't hold a candle to yours, something won't be to your taste. If a small Christkas is what you want, start training dh now. All Xmas dinner is is a glorified roast with Turkey as meat, a few extra veg and cranberry sauce. Have him to help you do a roast, teach him how to make gravy etc. My dad's normally a crao cook but can make a cooked dinner (well bar gravy) because it's really simple and is a question of puttingt things in oven

rollonthesummer Mon 29-Aug-16 11:50:13

I would do it, though would be worried about going into labour and losing out on £100! How close to your due date is it?

SeenYourArse Mon 29-Aug-16 11:55:19

Go! We always go out for Christmas dinner to a nice gastro pub locally delicious food and no spending the day Slaving away grin

PGPsabitch Mon 29-Aug-16 11:58:31

Yanbu. If it makes you feel better about waiting staff, everyone at my brothers old work place wanted Christmas day because the tips were fantastic plus they got time and a half.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now