To wish Theresa May would just say sod it we're staying in the EU because ...

(256 Posts)
Topanga1 Mon 29-Aug-16 09:59:46

It's her job to act in the best interest of our country.

We NEED access to the single market and won't get that without free movement of people.

The peace process in N Ireland will be in jeopardy if we erect a border between them and Ireland. It's too high a price to pay.

The referendum was advisory so PM May and the majority of MPs who were pro-remain need to say 'thanks for the advice but we can't deliver what you wanted without wrecking our country so we're staying'

Topseyt Mon 29-Aug-16 10:03:25

I totally agree (remain voter here).

Plenty will disagree though, and this could get interesting.

TwentyCups Mon 29-Aug-16 10:04:30

There's a whole topic for this.

Incidentally a topic I have hidden.

AndNowItsSeven Mon 29-Aug-16 10:05:15

Exactly but she want because ultimately she cares more about the stories reanining in power than the good of the country.

AndNowItsSeven Mon 29-Aug-16 10:05:23

* won't

Lovefromhull Mon 29-Aug-16 10:07:16

I know- they seem to manage to do whatever the he'll they like usually, so why this big fuss over listening to the public over the eu.

winkywinkola Mon 29-Aug-16 10:08:16

She can't do that. I wish she would too.

I think we are in for a very hard time.

There will be no drama. Just a slow decline for B

jimbob1 Mon 29-Aug-16 10:08:39

IF she overturned the decision then that would be a big "F**k you" to democracy. IT would be a disaster. It just won't happen.

rosesarered9 Mon 29-Aug-16 10:08:43

I agree but if she made a big deal out of it like "Hey guess what we're not leaving" then someone would start a motion of no confidence in her and she'd no longer be PM. Hopefully she "forgets" to trigger Article 50 and we all forget about the referendum. And then we all lived happily ever after.

winkywinkola Mon 29-Aug-16 10:08:44

A slow decline for Britain is what I meant to type.

Topanga1 Mon 29-Aug-16 10:09:20

Twenty - so why bother opening this thread if you don't want to engage in discussions about the EU confused

It's naive to ignore the mess this country is going to be in unless Mrs May puts country before party.

ClashCityRocker Mon 29-Aug-16 10:11:22

I also wish they would but:-

It would be political suicide. And the next person in power would get in on the basis of leaving the EU.

The whole point of the referendum was to put to rest Tory infighting re the EU. I suspect it would tear the party apart - arguably not a bad thing.

The referendum was advisory however it was always said it would be followed. I would imagine trust in politicians would fall to even lower levels than it is now.

I suspect it would see a surge in ukip votes.

It will be incredibly divisive and cause lots of bad feeling. Not only amongst the leave voters, but there are plenty of remain voters who think that now we've voted we need to adhere to the result. Not sure I agree, though.

It should never have been put to bloody referendum though.

Patapouf Mon 29-Aug-16 10:11:59

I agree but it won't happen <sigh>

TheNaze73 Mon 29-Aug-16 10:13:19

YABVU. As crap a result as it was (I campaigned & voted remain) democracy has spoken. We lost. Get a grip

bearleftmonkeyright Mon 29-Aug-16 10:13:34

What makes me even madder is that our current leader in opposition seems ready to stand aside and let her get on with it. I have renewed my Labour party membership specifically to vote for Owen Smith. He seems to prepared to hold the Government to account on this. There is also the issue of a Scottish referendum and I truly believe that there is now a clear mandate to hold another. I don't live in Scotland but my dad is Scottish and have lots of Scottish relatives. Our United Kingdom is in jealousy.

bearleftmonkeyright Mon 29-Aug-16 10:14:36

Jeapordy. Ffs autocorrect

ClashCityRocker Mon 29-Aug-16 10:15:05

Yep I'm quite hoping for Owen smith. Never thought I'd say that.

OneTreeHill Mon 29-Aug-16 10:15:37

Actually I think it's better she doesn't say anything, better to drag it out with a few fake acts to show heck yh we're listening to a democratic vote and never actually do anything substantial until passions die out and she can use the 'it's up to the next Goverment excuse' instead of coming out and saying we're staying because that would be career suicide and undemocratic.

winkywinkola Mon 29-Aug-16 10:18:21

"We lost. Get s grip."

I detest this sort of sentiment.

Like we are not allowed to discuss what kind of future we hope for in Brexit.

Piss off with your "Get a grip." People are trying to get a grip on what exactly we've been left to deal with.

It's far from simple and if you think it is, then you're a moron.

DoNotBlameMeIVotedRemain Mon 29-Aug-16 10:18:38

It would be nice if she delayed triggering Art 50 until it became obvious our post-Brexit trade deal will be shit. Then there would be grounds to put the question again in a referendum. There are already lots of preparations for Brexit though.

ClashCityRocker Mon 29-Aug-16 10:18:54

The problem is, if she doesn't do it, won't the next government get in on that basis?

I don't know how a general election would go. The referendum was actually fairly close.

I hate the 'we won/we lost' mentality though. It's not a fecking football match.

TeaPleaseLouise Mon 29-Aug-16 10:19:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

winkywinkola Mon 29-Aug-16 10:19:18

And TM is very pro Brexit. She will forge ahead.

celeste83 Mon 29-Aug-16 10:19:48

I still have a feeling the EU and UK will do a deal that keeps the UK in the EU.

DoNotBlameMeIVotedRemain Mon 29-Aug-16 10:21:07

I think you can add Scotland potentially leaving the Union to your list of why it's against the UK's interests.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now