Talk

Advanced search

to think there is probably no recovering from this?

(105 Posts)
HeyNannyNanny Sun 28-Aug-16 12:26:11

Just moved into a new flat share, a week ago.
I work FT and am typically reasonably shy so haven't met any of the new flat mates yet.
DP is not working at the moment so has spent almost all of his time in the new flat, so subsequently has spent a lot of time here.

Late this morning we were having a play fight* in our bedroom which was basically me stealing all of his underwear so he couldn't have a shower. This culminated in me wearing 15 pairs of boxer shorts over the top of my PJs and about three pairs on my head, so that he couldn't grab them out of my hands. We were both in stitches because we're both secretly children (both actually in our late 20s) and found this very very funny.

DP opens our bedroom door into the corridor to escape to the bathroom, gleefully holding a pair of rescued boxers out of my grasp. Both of us are giggling like mad.

This, of course, is the perfect moment for two of our flatmates to be in the adjoining kitchen, enjoying a leisurely cup of tea.

I met my flatmates for the first time adorned with 18 pairs of men's boxers, some of which on my head.

AIBU to think that I'll probably never live that down in this house? And that perhaps emigrating should be in my near future? blush blush

*its important to note that this was very very quiet and we also live next to a helipad and next door are having some kind of party so we weren't disturbing anyone with the giggling.

Mynestisfullofempty Sun 28-Aug-16 12:30:34

Have you now introduced yourself?

Costacoffeeplease Sun 28-Aug-16 12:31:36

How do you get to move into a flat without meeting the other occupants? confused

Jizzomelette Sun 28-Aug-16 12:33:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

JellyBelli Sun 28-Aug-16 12:35:22

You have to brazen it out with 'Pardon my tits' (a la Dexter). Then act like nothing happened.

TSSDNCOP Sun 28-Aug-16 12:35:53

Depends on what happened next. If you visibly died a thousand deaths and introduced yourself effusively and made everyone another cup of tea you'll be fine. If you tried in some way to explain how ker-azy you both are, call the estate agent today.

BankWadger Sun 28-Aug-16 12:36:06

grin

Queenbean Sun 28-Aug-16 12:37:16

"I'm chandler bing. Could I BE wearing any more clothes?"

DelicatePreciousThing1 Sun 28-Aug-16 12:38:55

A flat share but you hadn't actually met your flat mates until this hilarious incident occurred? Eh? That makes no sense. Surely you met them when you applied for the place? Did they not interview you?

ClopySow Sun 28-Aug-16 12:39:51

I'd be delighted if that was my first impression of my flat mate. I'd think "we're going to have a laugh"

HeyNannyNanny Sun 28-Aug-16 12:41:01

How do you get to move into a flat without meeting the other occupants?

Its a surprisingly antisocial (for want of a better word) flat.
Typical London flatshare - 5 bedrooms but no reception room. Just a large shared kitchen (all bedrooms are ensuites).

Most people are out during the weekends and live in their rooms. Only come to the kitchen to prep food and then go back to their rooms.

Our room is HUGE with a seperate dining area/living room so we're pretty antisocial too.

And yes, I awkwardly introduced myself.

redfaced "Hello, I'm Nanny. Er...nice to meet you...I'm...er...gonna get changed..."

HeyNannyNanny Sun 28-Aug-16 12:42:16

"Did they not interview you?"

No, its all through an agency. Everyone rents their room through the agency who then vet the applicants (credit checks, landlord refs etc)

Soubriquet Sun 28-Aug-16 12:43:58

That chandler bing response was perfect grin

Trills Sun 28-Aug-16 12:44:00

Not a very good ensuite if you can be seen from the kitchen going from your bedroom to the bathroom.

I'd be complaining about the room being mis-sold.

TSSDNCOP Sun 28-Aug-16 12:48:02

Then you'll be fine *Nanny.

You picked wisely.

HeyNannyNanny Sun 28-Aug-16 12:49:42

If the flat was set up as a normal flat then our room would be the reception room and our bathroom as the family bath IYSWIM.

blitheringbuzzards1234 Sun 28-Aug-16 12:52:33

An anti-social house sounds miserable and you probably brightened their day. You'll only know that there's no way back from this if they give you the cold shoulder in future. Wouldn't you prefer a friendlier place?

Benedikte2 Sun 28-Aug-16 12:57:20

Congratulations OP you have broken the ice. Will have got the other flatmates talking and they won't be able to keep a straight face when they next run into you!

eyemonster12 Sun 28-Aug-16 12:57:22

Sounds like the best kind of ice breaker to me...!

A lot of confused responses to not meeting your flatmates before moving in, I guess not many flat sharers on here! One of my last places I didn't meet one of the others in the 6 months before she moved out. I guess that's London!!!

witchofzog Sun 28-Aug-16 12:59:01

Ignore the "Looking for holes in every story" brigade Nanny hmm

That sounds bloody hilarious. If I had been your new flat mate I would instantly think you were someone I could have a laugh down the pub with. grin

AlpacaPicnic Sun 28-Aug-16 13:02:48

I think you sound great! It's like out of a richard Curtis film grin in twent years time, if you're still mates they'll introduce you with that story!

LauderSyme Sun 28-Aug-16 13:04:04

I would think it was funny and sweet, and that your relationship with dp seems really happy and healthy. I would be pleased to finally meet my nice, new, normal flatmates! Hope you enjoy your new home smile

bibbitybobbityyhat Sun 28-Aug-16 13:07:37

Fucking hell! I can't believe ANYONE would move into a house without meeting the other occupants. I really can't. I find that way more bemusing than you running around with 200 pairs of underpants on.

Nope, no recovering from pants on your head.

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Sun 28-Aug-16 13:28:37

Your boyfriend owns a hell of a lot of pants. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now