Talk

Advanced search

Just because I can BF anywhere doesn't mean I will.

(220 Posts)
elodie2000 Sun 28-Aug-16 10:22:20

I've been following the 'chucked out of west end show for BF' thread with interest.
It's legal to BF pretty much everywhere but I wondered where others avoid feeding or even taking their baby?

I wouldn't take my baby to
The theatre (adult only show) 😉
Loud music Concert
Nandos near me (and similar stuffy, smelly, overcrowded, dirty restaurants.)
Public toilets
Exam hall
Staff meeting/presentation

I wouldn't BF
in moving car
at side of swimming pool
at the side of a motorway
In a salon whilst having my hair/ nails done.

Basically, anywhere I myself wouldn't usually eat food, or dirty, noisy, smelly or overcrowded places. Adult or particularly formal places.

IABU to think that despite the law, just because you can doesn't automatically mean you should?

bibbitybobbityyhat Sun 28-Aug-16 10:24:37

Ok then, you must do whatever makes you happy.

Breast feeding a baby in a moving car would be a criminal offence wouldn't it?

ClockMakerSue Sun 28-Aug-16 10:24:48

YABU. It's not about BFing everywhere and anywhere because you can but about feeding wherever because your baby needs feeding. This goes for BFing or bottle feeding!

Cocklodger Sun 28-Aug-16 10:25:38

Good for you op.

Nicnak2223 Sun 28-Aug-16 10:26:43

You can eat in a moving car, but feeding a baby would be dangerous.

HobnailsandTaffeta Sun 28-Aug-16 10:26:56

There are places that I would not BF, for example a non family friendly pub.

That doesn't mean that another woman should be shamed for doing so.

It's also my personal preference not to shag in the shower, shouldn't be illegal wink

Spudlet Sun 28-Aug-16 10:27:02

I'm happy for you.

lightlygoholly Sun 28-Aug-16 10:27:02

Why would feeding a baby in a car be a criminal offence? confused

SoftSheen Sun 28-Aug-16 10:27:10

It's OK to BF anywhere it's OK to take a baby.

DoJo Sun 28-Aug-16 10:27:27

I've breast fed my baby in a moving car - surely it's only a criminal offence if you aren't both secured properly?

AnUtterIdiot Sun 28-Aug-16 10:27:37

BF in a moving car or at the side of a motorway would be properly dangerous. But... you wouldn't take your baby to a public toilet?

VladmirsPoutine Sun 28-Aug-16 10:28:18

That sounds reasonable to me but as it's MN prepare for a lot of righteous indignation.

Normandy144 Sun 28-Aug-16 10:28:59

The OP said moving car which would imply baby would be out of its car seat, hence criminal offence.

ErrolTheDragon Sun 28-Aug-16 10:29:36

Feed your baby anywhere safe and hygienic where you feel comfortable doing it. So, not loos which is still too often suggested as a reasonable place for a baby to eat.

elodie2000 Sun 28-Aug-16 10:29:51

Would you take your BF (or bottle fed baby for that matter) with you to a hair salon and feed them there?
I wouldn't!

bibbitybobbityyhat Sun 28-Aug-16 10:30:05

How do you safely secure a breastfed baby in a moving car?

elodie2000 Sun 28-Aug-16 10:32:00

VladmirsPoutine: That sounds reasonable to me but as it's MN prepare for a lot of righteous indignation.

I know... I wanted where & when lists not a BF argument!

thescruffiestgiantintown Sun 28-Aug-16 10:34:00

Baby strapped in car seat - me strapped in middle seat - I lean over and feed. I don't think it's particularly safe though and I don't like doing it.

Why on earth wouldn't you feed by the side of a pool?!

elodie2000 Sun 28-Aug-16 10:34:46

bibbitybobboity I don't think babies need a car seat in a taxi or on a bus?

Outtaker Sun 28-Aug-16 10:35:53

I've breast fed my baby in a moving car - surely it's only a criminal offence if you aren't both secured properly?

Intrigued to know how you did this! Surely it's impossible to both breast feed and ensure you and baby are properly secured... I don't think holding firmly with your belt over the baby's body counts.

elodie2000 Sun 28-Aug-16 10:36:24

I agree, loos are the worst place! Errol

TheFairyCaravan Sun 28-Aug-16 10:37:41

I fed DS1 when I was having my hair done once. It was the first time I BF in public. He was a week old and needed feeding, I wasn't about to let him scream the place down.

I don't understand how you can say you wouldn't BF in certain places (I do get the dangerous ones) because if they need feeding, they need feeding.

DappledThings Sun 28-Aug-16 10:38:30

I've breastfed while getting my haircut. Why wouldn't you? SIL had taken DS for a walk but appointment was 30 minutes late starting and took ages so he got hungry and she brought him back.

Outtaker Sun 28-Aug-16 10:38:55

me strapped in middle seat - I lean over and feed

Apart from being very awkward physically, you wouldn't be strapped in safely doing that. Why wouldn't you just stop to feed?

elodie2000 Sun 28-Aug-16 10:39:53

Anutteridiot A lot of female toilets are overcrowded, stuffy & smelly! I'd prefer a cafe (and a million other places!) 😄

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now