Talk

Advanced search

To think this isn't thrush?

(9 Posts)
Pirandello24 Sat 27-Aug-16 18:17:10

My DS is 10 weeks old, I'm bfing and have very sore nipples which makes it hard for me to leave the house (really uncomfortable for me to wear a bra, and I have big boobies that need the support). A few people have suggested I have thrush as the nips are pink (normally brown) and my DS can be fussy when feeding, crying and coming off the boob. He has a white tongue but I think that's just from the milk?. HOWEVER, I had an excruciating start to bfing due to DS having tongue tie (fixed at 5 weeks) and him having a terrible latch. Also, he's only fussy on some of his feeds, on others he's just fine. Experienced Mumsnetters, could the soreness just be left over from the bad latch? Am I stuck with sore nipples until I stop bfing? Or is this actually thrush? Spoke to my gp who basically said they didn't know and could prescribe treatment if I wanted but I'm not sure what to do!

ValiaH Sat 27-Aug-16 18:38:12

Hi, it sounds like thrush to me- both my two had it, and the white tongue and nipple soreness were the main symptoms. Both of you will need to be treated, and it may take time, but eventually it'll be pain free. I also realised I couldnt use lansinoh cos the lanolin irritated me, as did wearing disposable breastpads, so if you're using anything like that maybe try changing those too? Honestly thrush treatment is quite easy at that age-drops or gel for baby, cream for your nipples, and much better to rule it out than to suffer for the rest of your breastfeeding time.

Idefix Sat 27-Aug-16 18:55:38

Sounds like thrush to me too op. It will respond fairly quickly to treatment ime.

1pink4blue Sat 27-Aug-16 18:56:45

ive had thrush whilst breastfeeding twice ds4 and dd and my nipples were pink and shiny and it tyere was a pain in my breasts and baby had a white tongue.
it was easy to treat the baby had drops in the mouth and i had a cream to use after feeding that was washed off before the next feed.

Pirandello24 Sat 27-Aug-16 20:16:21

Thanks for the fast replies. My gp said I would need to use canestan cream on my nipples- is this right as I have some already and I could get started with it asap? If it is soaked in do I still need to wash the nipple before bfing?

SirKillalot Sat 27-Aug-16 20:21:40

You need to treat both of you else you'll understand at pass it between you both. As far as I remember I got nystatin or the gel.

SirKillalot Sat 27-Aug-16 20:22:11

Understand?? You'll just pass, I meant.

mamarach26 Sat 27-Aug-16 20:24:33

I thought my little boy had milk on his tongue, the hv came round and wrote me a prescription for me to pick up that day, he hadn't been feeding.
It cleared up really quickly! X

AdmiralCLingus Sat 27-Aug-16 20:24:40

I had terrible thrush after dd was born and the midwife suggested using it after a feed to negate the need to wash it off each time, but you might want to double check with a pharmacist/gp/doctor before you do that yourself.

And it will be worth going back to the gp for some nystatin for baby before you start treating yourself because otherwise baby with just keep passing it back to you.

I was told to avoid the disposable breast pads too as they keep the area moist which just exacerbates the problem. If you can, try going bra less at home as much as possible and hot wash all the bras you wear to eliminate as much of the yeast from the fabric as you can

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now