Talk

Advanced search

to warn you all WhatsApp will share your data unless you opt out in 30 days

(72 Posts)
madhurjazz Sat 27-Aug-16 13:33:18

As if fb people you know couldn't get any more stalky they are going to share your number unless you go to settings and opt out within 30 days.

BertieBotts Sat 27-Aug-16 13:36:17

No they aren't.

They are sharing contact lists (you can opt out of this) they aren't going to post your phone number to your FB wall.

lilydaisyrose Sat 27-Aug-16 13:37:28

Does this affect people who don't have Fbook?

Acopyofacopy Sat 27-Aug-16 13:39:24

Thanks for the reminder!
If you are as clueless as I am, here's a how to.

madhurjazz Sat 27-Aug-16 13:50:20

I didn't say they are going to post your number on a wall hmm

Good idea with the link a copy

Gatehouse77 Sat 27-Aug-16 14:06:47

Done, thank you!

venusinscorpio Sat 27-Aug-16 14:12:09

Thank you, have done this. I'd rather my whatsapp was separate to my fb.

hotdiggedy Sat 27-Aug-16 14:26:47

Err, sorry, can you explain this in really simple terms please??

noblegiraffe Sat 27-Aug-16 14:27:55

Thanks for this. Facebook is constantly trying to get my phone number, really annoys me.

ThumbWitchesAbroad Sat 27-Aug-16 14:31:34

Cool, thanks for that - job done as per instructions on the Indy site - cheers!

Hissy Sat 27-Aug-16 14:38:26

What was the date of the update? My whatsapp is from 15th Aug, and I don't have the button or option not to share.

Have I missed it?

Trills Sat 27-Aug-16 14:40:27

WhatsApp and Facebook are owned by the same company.

Facebook MIGHT know your phone number, it might not. It also might know the phone numbers of your friends. It depends on what you and they have allowed it to know. If you have Facebook on your phone it's quite likely that you ticked "yes" to something without reading it and Facebook already knows your number.

WhatsApp DOES know your phone number, and the phone number of the people you contact on WhatsApp, because that's how it works.

Soon you are going to get an update to WhatsApp on your phone. You will probably click the "yeah whatever" button.

If you do that, WhatsApp and Facebook will join up their information about your phone number and the phone number of your WhatsApp contacts and the phone numbers of your Facebook friends. Their spider diagram of "who knows who" will get much better and more interconnected.

If you don't want them to do that, when you get the update message you can tap on "more information" and say "no".

If you already got the update and tapped on the "yeah whatever" button, you can go to WhatsApp settings, Account, and say "no" to sharing your account info.

You've got 30 days to say no, and after that WhatsApp and Facebook will do their big database mergey thing (which can't be then undone).

The Verge article

AverageGayLad Sat 27-Aug-16 14:40:40

Well I'm not on FB hmm So what does "People you may know" Have to do with me?

AverageGayLad Sat 27-Aug-16 14:42:30

Sorry, that seemed a tad harsh blush

If I'm not on Facebook surely it won't affect me?

hotdiggedy Sat 27-Aug-16 14:45:12

Goodness, why cant they just keep things simple??

hotdiggedy Sat 27-Aug-16 14:50:38

so if you delete the facebook app from your phone and just go to facebook through a browser will that stop the data sharing?

Themoleisdead Sat 27-Aug-16 14:51:27

Thanks

Trills Sat 27-Aug-16 14:53:22

so if you delete the facebook app from your phone and just go to facebook through a browser will that stop the data sharing?

Not necessarily.

Facebook may already know your phone number.

Facebook may also already know that it was installed on Samsung Galaxy S6 #513897598-23785939208, and WhatsApp was also installed on that phone, so if WhatsApp and Facebook share their data then they can put that together.

OfaFrenchmind2 Sat 27-Aug-16 14:54:24

Thank you, I just opted out. We already are swamped with this uttely stupid and biased Konbini stuff, don't need more propaganda.

parlezvousfrancais Sat 27-Aug-16 14:58:37

I got this yesterday, said no.

It's going to be used for more targeted advertising and people you may know requests.

So if you've anyone in your phone's contacts it will match their number to their Facebook page and ask if you want to add them as a friend.

PacificDogwod Sat 27-Aug-16 15:09:33

Yet another reason for my FB refusal grin

It is quite hard not to become totally paranoid about how 'visible' to all sorts of parties ones online presence is hmm

roob314 Sat 27-Aug-16 15:13:10

What Data do whatsapp actually have though/
your number?

Anchovies12 Sat 27-Aug-16 15:15:06

Thanks for the info Trills. I said yeah whatever blush Off to change settings...

Roussette Sat 27-Aug-16 15:16:26

I had this come through but was trying to send an urgent whatsapp message so I pressed "not now". I quickly looked but couldn't see a "more info" place to opt out.

It hasn't come through again (I thought it would once I went out of whatsapp and back in again...) and I have no option under "account" in settings to opt out.

Do I just wait for it to come back up again?

mogloveseggs Sat 27-Aug-16 15:17:40

Thanks. Have opted out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now