Talk

Advanced search

To be getting a bit fed up with MIL NNing our DD (who's 2) Miss Cellulite?

(18 Posts)
HappyHourFriday Fri 26-Aug-16 23:05:37

hmmhmmhmm honestly, not even sure where to vent about this. DD was a preemie, she had that wrinkly little skin all over, MIL used to call it cellulite hmm anyway, we were going through old baby pics and she mentioned how she had forgotten about the cellulite and has now developed the need to call her Miss Cellulite! Honestly, how do I stop this? Or am I overreacting?

I'm pregnant with second child so may be pregnancy hormones

RattataPidgeyRattataPidgey Fri 26-Aug-16 23:07:05

I don't see what this could possibly be for other than to wind you up. Ignore. Completely.

DelicatePreciousThing1 Fri 26-Aug-16 23:07:07

Tell her you don't like it.

DerekSprechenZeDick Fri 26-Aug-16 23:07:20

Pick up something about her and call
Her Mrs Shit for brains or something

Or tell her you don't like it and why

DelicatePreciousThing1 Fri 26-Aug-16 23:07:42

Or start calling her something unflattering line Mrs Piggy. Ha

hazeimcgee Fri 26-Aug-16 23:08:44

I would tell her directly that the name is mean and nasty. If she honestly cannot be nice to her, she has no need to see her

Salmotrutta Fri 26-Aug-16 23:09:47

Tell her you don't like it.

Say "That's not very nice, I'd rather you didn't say that" then look her in the eye.

OR - before she says it again say "I really didn't like it when you called DD that name"

What does your DH say when she does this?

Tootsiepops Fri 26-Aug-16 23:10:19

Not on. Tell her immediately to do one.

Allalonenow Fri 26-Aug-16 23:30:57

It's really nasty I think, and hurtful to you.

Next time you see her tell her immediately that you will not tolerate her calling your DD that name.
If she uses it again, leave or tell her to leave, whichever is appropriate, and tell her why, but don't discuss it any more at that time.
Once she has apologized you can establish visits again.

DubiousCredentials Fri 26-Aug-16 23:40:52

Mrs Shit for brains gringringrin

PovertyPain Fri 26-Aug-16 23:47:00

She needs to stop that before it becomes your daughter's 'nickname'. If she doesn't then your dd will pick up on as she gets older. Girls already grow up with pressure put on them about their appearances and that nickname could be extremely detrimental to your dds feelings of self worth.

FrancisCrawford Fri 26-Aug-16 23:47:01

That is mean and nasty. Family nicknames are meant to be affectionate.

Tell her straight that the name is untrue and that she is being cruel.

It is a horrible thing to say to anyone, even if (like me) they do have cellulite. For a wee tot like your DD, it's just horrid. And the last thing you want is for the NN to take hold so that it follows her through life.

38cody Sat 27-Aug-16 00:38:22

She's probably just being affectionate - my daughter was miss piggy when she first started solids, no harm intended or caused.
Just politely tell her that you don't like it and I'm sure she'll stop.

Tiggywinkler Sat 27-Aug-16 00:45:00

Tell her that if she doesn't realize why that's utterly inappropriate, you'll be restricting access until she's educated herself on the matter.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sat 27-Aug-16 00:52:25

Tell her straight, serious face, no messing.
It's nasty and cruel to pick on a physical attribute.

My FIL used to call my DS by a version of his name (like if his name was "Tim" he called him "Timmy" )
I just said over and over "Tim" "His name is Tim" until he got it,

He did it to piss me off but I really CBA with gritting my teeth to dust.

AlpacaLypse Sat 27-Aug-16 00:56:27

Not funny or clever.

Have you tried 'she obviously inherited it from you?' Not that that remark will get anyone anywhere further or forward, just might make you feel a little bit happier smile

MindSweeper Sat 27-Aug-16 01:10:14

You stop this by doing the 'what the FUCK' face and saying 'why would you even call your own granddaughter that'. Preferably in front of people. Shame her.

ZacharyQuack Sat 27-Aug-16 01:16:19

Start calling her Jowlia

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now