Talk

Advanced search

To wonder if this is it?

(4 Posts)
TooManyButtons Fri 26-Aug-16 17:09:15

DD is off to uni in a couple of weeks. She's my only child, and I'm so proud of her. But it's really hitting me hard how lonely I'm going to be, which is my own fault entirely. I have no partner - I had a lovely husband but threw it all away - and no friends, which again is my fault. I have no real interests, and currently spend my days off work in bed, purely because I can't be bothered to actually do anything.

I do have depression, and it appears my meds aren't working quite as well as they should do, but that doesn't really make me feel any better. I'm 39, and am about to embark on a life of microwave meals for one, because I know there's no chance I'll be bothered to cook just for me.

This really wasn't the life I imagined I'd have. <plays world's smallest violin>

WannaBeDifferent Fri 26-Aug-16 17:11:50

flowers get yourself back to your GP . I feel for you , I have one friend and have had this week off work - I've done absolutely nothing .

Secretmetalfan Fri 26-Aug-16 17:18:08

Blimey 39 is no age (I'm older with a toddler). You need to go back to the dr and sort your meds. Can you access any counselling. Hopefully if you can sort out these you might have more energy to take care of your own needs more. I know of many people who have started new relationships at that age. Is there anything you have always wanted to do? Travel? Sport? Tracing family tree? An interst would help you meet like minded people. But first you need to address your depression. Just remember changes can provide great opportunities, and you now have a reason to go away for the weekend to visit your Dd and explore somewhere new

FireSquirrel Fri 26-Aug-16 17:20:01

YANBU to be feeling lonely or sorry for yourself, but you're wrong if you think things could never get better. It's never too late to chnge things. Small steps x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now