Talk

Advanced search

AIBU...to want my bag for life back

(116 Posts)
bunnyfuller Thu 25-Aug-16 18:26:59

Petty I know but I feel really narked and thought a bashing on here would sort me out! A mum who lives near me has two little girls younger than mine. I pass on various clothes/shoes/school uniform etc that is still in good nick. She does some hairdressing on the side of her f/t job and kindly cuts my/my kids hair 2-3 times a year for a v cheap price (cash).

Recently (middle of July) I gave her a bag of dressing up clothes which my girls no longer used, lots of items. I put them in one of my big, strong bags for life and asked her to return the bag.

Fast forward.....3 weeks ago I asked her if she could return it....she said yes definitely, it didn't arrive. I saw her in the street Mon Eve and asked her again, she said 'oh, didn't I bring it back?' Then 'oh I'm sure the girls brought it back' I assured her they hadn't so she promised to have a look for it. She cut my eldest's hair on Tue so when I took the money round after I findihed work I asked her again. This time she said 'oh DC brought it round and hung it on your door' so again I said we hadn't got it. She's now promised to replace. They're in no way hard up so I'm utterly mystified why giving the bag back has been such a huge deal. Did she think it was a plakky bag and thinks I'm weird for going on about it? AIBU for being quite pissed off now? Happy for a flaming because I'm obsessing a bit I need other views!

MoreCoffeeNow Thu 25-Aug-16 18:28:49

She binned it, I expect.

Katinkka Thu 25-Aug-16 18:29:40

Move on with your life, it's just a bag.

Nightmanagerfan Thu 25-Aug-16 18:29:45

I think it's a bit odd to want it back if it's a plastic one. It would be different if it was a jute/more sturdy version though.

blueskyinmarch Thu 25-Aug-16 18:30:00

You say ‘placcy bag’ so I assume you are talking a 10p plastic job rather than a hessian one? I really don’t think i could get worked up over a plastic bag. Life is too short.

bunnyfuller Thu 25-Aug-16 18:31:18

IT was one of the sturdy ones - a huge Christmas one made of thick hessian. No, I am NOT asking for a plastic bag to be returned!

Jizzomelette Thu 25-Aug-16 18:31:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FetchezLaVache Thu 25-Aug-16 18:32:06

Out of order for her not to return the bag if you specifically asked her to do so, but we live and learn... Next time, hand the clothes over in a bin liner!

couchparsnip Thu 25-Aug-16 18:33:29

Maybe they did hang it on the door and it's gone missing from there?

PepsiPenguin Thu 25-Aug-16 18:34:27

how much did this bag cost?

I seriously think it's way OTT to get this annoyed about a bag of this type.

MoMandaS Thu 25-Aug-16 18:34:29

That would irritate me too, particularly since you'd asked for it back. It's the principle. I reckon she's passed it on.

Honeyandfizz Thu 25-Aug-16 18:35:08

Seriously? Is this a supermarket bag for life? If so then you really need to forget it, it's a bag.

Katinkka Thu 25-Aug-16 18:36:26

Why would she think it was a 'plakky' bag then?

NannyR Thu 25-Aug-16 18:38:14

I save the cheaper or more worn out ones for these situations and don't expect them back.

gingerboy1912 Thu 25-Aug-16 18:39:37

I would just learn from this and move on otherwise you get a reputation for being the weird bag lady.

Chikara Thu 25-Aug-16 18:40:15

I'm with you - it as your bag, you asked for it back, you need it , you don't have it, you now need to go and buy a new one. All because she can't be arsed. Annoying!

bunnyfuller Thu 25-Aug-16 18:40:58

The bag cost a fiver. There were a lot of dressing up clothes. It's the principle - i asked for the bag back specifically because I use them for my shopping! A fiver is a meal for us, I know it doesn't seem much to some.

acasualobserver Thu 25-Aug-16 18:41:23

How much are you out of pocket? Knock this off the price of the next haircut.

Alternatively, forget all about it.

mrsfuzzy Thu 25-Aug-16 18:42:10

[singing] 'let it go' , pita but in the bigger scheme of things it really is much of nothing isn't it ?

bunnyfuller Thu 25-Aug-16 18:44:51

I will definitely learn! Didn't expect to lose money passing something on!!

allthebestplease Thu 25-Aug-16 18:44:59

Don't give her anymore clothes, very odd for her not to give it back. I'd text her to ask again. Then leave the matter.

blueskyinmarch Thu 25-Aug-16 18:46:02

Lesson learned. You need to learn to use cheap plastic bags for giving things away in future.

PepsiPenguin Thu 25-Aug-16 18:46:46

I think most were thinking it was a bag for life with a rough cost of 10p... In which case it would be crazy to get this upset about it IMO.

I'd forget about it, but if it is a lot of money for you and it was a bag you use all the time that you will replace because she has lost it then I guess it's fair enough, but id be careful she didn't return it and someone hasn't taken it, or maybe your DH/DP saw it and shoved it under sink (mine would)

100% not worth loosing a friend over, see if she replaces it but you might just have to let it go

usual Thu 25-Aug-16 18:47:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Paulat2112 Thu 25-Aug-16 18:50:02

I think you need to write it off. It's gone. I would only pass things on in bags you are happy to never get returned or black binbags, to anyone you ever give anything to.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now