Talk

Advanced search

To think that the problem is not FB, it is your FB friends?

(13 Posts)
FreshHorizons Thu 25-Aug-16 15:49:12

There are so many complaints about FaceBook -there is very little, if anything, that someone could post without upsetting people!

It is about people presenting themselves the way they wish to be seen and of course they put the best.

I can't help thinking that the problem comes from having friends on there who are merely acquaintances or that you don't actually have any liking for, or care about.

The problem would be solved if you culled the friends to the ones that matter to you - even if you only got left with a handful. Failing that you could simply hide their posts.

Caboodle Thu 25-Aug-16 17:25:06

Yep. Yanbu. My friends list is small and I have none of the FB nonsense that people complain about on here.

FreshHorizons Thu 25-Aug-16 17:30:55

I don't have anything that people on here complain about.
I think that I possibly have about 50 friends but only about 12 are very active. Someone gave her granddaughter's exam results today because she was very proud of her. I thought it was lovely. Another friend has just been on a holiday touring across US and I have loved seeing her pictures.
These are things that seem to upset people.

FreshHorizons Fri 26-Aug-16 08:35:24

I guess that people just love to moan and don't want to remove all the people that irritate or upset them.

LiviaDrusillaAugusta Fri 26-Aug-16 08:42:17

Totally agree OP - I have a ridiculously high number of FB friends (nearly 2,000) due to a couple of interests (never met 99.9% of them in person) but I don't get the angst on here about it. I hide posts, unfollow or unfriend occasionally but all the threads about people being unfriended or seeing pics of events to which they weren't invited sometimes feel like people are looking for drama when there is none!

CaoNiMao Fri 26-Aug-16 08:44:21

Agreed! I have successfully managed to whittle down my friends list so my newsfeed includes only intelligent articles, photos of cats, and general good stuff. Any hint of a 'mass copy-paste status' proponent, MLM bot, or drama llama and that person is culled. I take no prisoners.

NavyandWhite Fri 26-Aug-16 08:44:51

Yes exactly.

I am ruthless. My blocked list is huge.

The obvious ones are blocked immediately- racist, disablist, homophobic but I've blocked a few perfectly nice people just because they witter on and on.

I have a few braggers too but I like them in RL where weirdly they don't brag so I keep them.

MrsHathaway Fri 26-Aug-16 08:55:16

I have lots of friends. Most of them post interesting or amusing things.

"Eye roll and scroll" is my strategy for the rest.

FB is what you make it. If you don't like it, you're doing it wrong.

redexpat Fri 26-Aug-16 08:58:11

Yanbu and I write words to that effect on every FB thread. It is not the fault of FB that you have dull friends.

SleepFreeZone Fri 26-Aug-16 08:58:30

Thing is if you are depressed then even your closest friend writing something could upset you. I think it really is about state of mind and if you are stuck in a crap rotation and want people to wallow in the misery alongside you, Facebook ain't your friend.

ProfYaffle Fri 26-Aug-16 09:06:27

Couldn't agree more. I unfollow anyone whose feed I find annoying for whatever reason plus I follow a lot of groups/pages/ that I'm interested in, I can now happily lose hours following weird links etc grin

Birdsgottafly Fri 26-Aug-16 09:48:42

""I can't help thinking that the problem comes from having friends on there who are merely acquaintances or that you don't actually have any liking for, or care about. ""

As well as that, part the problem is that they're miserable fuckers, who can't enjoy the happiness of others.

I like seeing people enjoy their life and in particular, their children. It counteracts all of the stories about murdered/abused babies and toddlers.

My peer group are all enjoying their Grandchildren and travelling to places that were out of reach, when ours were little.

littleprincesssara Fri 26-Aug-16 13:04:51

YANBU.

I only FB friend genuine friends, or sometimes industry connections but only ones I hit it off with. I never see anything offensive or annoying on FB. (On my own FB feed, at least.)

I don't get when people complain, for example, about all the racist stuff on FB (like from Trump supporters) -- it's because you friended a load of racists!

Otoh, it sort of reminds me of wedding threads. If you have a large family you might feel obligated to friend them, even if you're totally different from them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now