Talk

Advanced search

to be in tears over a parking space

(19 Posts)
giraffesCantReachTheirToes Wed 24-Aug-16 23:39:50

I think I probably am, it has been a long day. Whole street have once again parked like dick heads meaning there were no spaces left. No marked spaces but but leave a about 3/4 of a cars space between cars which is annoying and wanky.

Have a blue badge but space outside door apparently isn't valid cos it is yellow not white - and so everyone parks on it - currently has a motorbike and 2 cars in it.

So have come home from work, exhausted, tired, breathless and have to drive round block looking for spaces. Find one along the street and across the road and abandon car there then walk back slowly cos lungs being shitty after my first proper allergic reaction today (puke, rash, lip swelling, itchy tongue and wheezy)

if I had super strength I would go and shove all the cars up so they are a reasonable amount apart so more fit in.

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Just needed to get that off my chest.

itshappenedagain Thu 25-Aug-16 00:06:35

Call 101 and ask them. If you have a disabled badge and the space has been put there for you, you can use it and cars or motorcycles in it can be ticketed.
My GM's street is like that and she has a badge, some inconsiderate people park in it and I knock and ask them to move. Be firm or it will keep happening.
I Hope you feel better soon

MLGs Thu 25-Aug-16 00:09:39

I agree with its

Also hope you feel better soon.

JudyCoolibar Thu 25-Aug-16 00:22:22

YANBU. I get irritated at people who park effectively in the middle of two spaces, and I don't have your very valid excuse. I hope you feel better soon.

Mummyme1987 Thu 25-Aug-16 01:02:04

No it's not silly to cry. I have similar issues with parking xxxx

Lilacpink40 Thu 25-Aug-16 01:06:37

Have a good cry. I feel like that after long day if things have been stressful and I have no-one at home to give me a hug. So getting back to a parking problem would push me over the edge.

After you've cried have a relaxing break.
cakebrewflowers

Lilacpink40 Thu 25-Aug-16 01:07:40

Should say I have DCs at home, but they just add to stress at end of day!

Italiangreyhound Thu 25-Aug-16 01:29:37

Sorry to hear this, how frustrating.

WiddlinDiddlin Thu 25-Aug-16 03:42:54

Unfortunately as frustrating and upsetting as it is, the bay will be advisory only and nothing can actually be done to those who park in it, if it is indeed yellow, not white, and there is no sign on a post stating badge holders only.

I would send a super sweet polite note around explaining that the bay has been added for a valid reason and you would be extra specially grateful if people would not be utter cunts park in it.

Well, I would after considering sending a note round saying something like...

'Would the inconsiderate idle fuck-knuckles refrain from being total cuntbags and stop parking in the disabled space as last I checked, being a massive shitweasel isn't a disability."

ThumbWitchesAbroad Thu 25-Aug-16 04:19:56

Oh Giraffes - I do feel for you! Fucking wankers angry
Why have they only given you a yellow space? How much worse do you have to be to get a white one? Can you go and wheeze at them?

As for the selfish cuntarses in your space, well. Maybe a kipper up the tailpipe?

Wriggler79 Thu 25-Aug-16 06:31:05

I'd put something a bit less arsey and definitely not passive-aggressive; something like "Hi, I'm the person that 'owns' the space you parked in today. I really don't want to leave a note, but unfortunately I don't know how else to get in touch with you.
I'm hoping that if I explain why I need the space, you might consider this before parking in it. I have ----- and this means that I struggle with ----- when I have to walk longer distances. It means that when I get home, I find it more difficult to get dinner ready/keep my house clean, etc. This is why I went to the trouble of applying for a parking space. It's really helpful, but unfortunately parking is difficult round here and I can't always use it as intended. If you could keep this in mind I'd be appreciative (and less knackered!).
Thanks,
Your neighbour.

...print out a load of them, and repeatedly post them on windscreens etc.

Mummyoflittledragon Thu 25-Aug-16 06:55:05

I agree with Wriggler. However, I think I'd post through letter boxes (or ask friends if you're struggling).

I'd be more direct. I'd say something along the lines of "I live at no X. I'm disabled and struggle to walk any distance. I know it's inconvenient for you and your family and difficult to find spaces down our road. However, it would really great if you would leave the marked disabled space free for me. Thank you very much, I appreciate your kindness, giraffe.

Then if they continue, I'd put a similar note on the windscreen. But I wouldn't rant.

God really angry. These people have no respect.

YelloDraw Thu 25-Aug-16 07:41:12

Mummyoflittledragon has written a good note

Wriggler79 Thu 25-Aug-16 07:43:37

Yes better than mine, more direct and less rambly smile like it.

cherryplumbanana Thu 25-Aug-16 08:01:36

flowers OP

Not finding a parking space is infuriating at the best of times, but I completely sympathise with you, it sounds awful. Does anyone know if the council could change that bay and make it a "blue badge only" zone, or something like that?

I wouldn't get too irate against people parking across 2 spaces unless you see them park. Sometimes you park where you can between 2 vehicles, then they moved and it looks like you were the one at fault.

IdaDown Thu 25-Aug-16 08:10:33

Take pictures of the disabled bay with non disabled users parked in it.

Send to council showing that the 'advisory' space isn't working.

Ask for it to be a yellow bay.

Mausageandsash Thu 25-Aug-16 08:19:19

YANBU sweetie, you need to let people know it's yours xx

sophiestew Thu 25-Aug-16 08:36:27

I agree with PP, if the space isn't working ask the Local Authority to review it?

The issue with parking leaving big gaps is that this can easily happen over the course of a day where different sized cars are moving in and out of spaces. Also, if people have had problems getting out of spaces where people have parked up to their bumper, they are more likely to leave a slightly bigger gap.

My cousin had to move from her lovely terraced house because of parking issues (she is also disabled but there were already two bays and council wouldn't add more) She says it was the best decision she ever made as she now has her own garage that comes with her flat. She hadn't realised just how much time she had spent worrying and fretting about the parking until she moved, it really was making her ill. flowers

mollie123 Thu 25-Aug-16 08:38:40

There are three types of on-street disabled bay. Which the council marks depends on their own procedures.

The types are:

advisory bay - just the DISABLED paint markings
disabled bay marked by Traffic Regulation Order - DISABLED paint markings and a "Disabled badge holders only" sign
personal bay marked by Traffic Regulation Order - PERMIT HOLDERS ONLY paint markings, together with a sign giving details of the permit

An advisory bay has no force of law whatsoever - it's a polite request and nothing more. If someone other than a Blue Badge holder parks in the bay, nothing can be done. Most people will obey the paint markings, not least as they have no idea the bay is not legally enforceable.

OP there is very little you can do other than rely on the basically good nature of most people (sadly in decline) unless you can ask for a 'personal bay'. However if you can get the space marked 'blue badge holders only' this may help (except other BB holders will still be able to use the space quite legitimately.
How do 2 cars and a motobike manage to park in the disabled bay - are they extra long?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now