Dp and his teeshirts...

(18 Posts)
FeedMyFaceWithJaffaCakes Wed 24-Aug-16 22:40:12

DP doesn't think his teeshirts should be ironed, I do.
Who is right?

Crispbutty Wed 24-Aug-16 22:42:23

He wears them. Less ironing. Yabu.

booellesmum Wed 24-Aug-16 22:43:34

I do iron t-shirts - unless they look very uncreased as just come out the tumble dryer - BUT if DH did not think his needed ironing I wouldn't do his t-shirts. I'm all for cutting down on work.
My mother is horrified I don't iron bed linen, but tbh life is too short.

e1y1 Wed 24-Aug-16 22:44:48

His clothes, so if he doesn't want them ironed, then don't and save yourself the bother.

BUT - I do agree with you, all clothes should be ironed, it just looks nicer and no matter what anyone says, you can tell the difference between ironed and un ironed.

SistersOfPercy Wed 24-Aug-16 22:57:32

I tumble dry everything, the only thing I iron is DH's work shirts.
T shirts are shaken, folded with a t shirt folder and put in a drawer. They never look creased.

milpool Wed 24-Aug-16 23:04:58

I don't iron anything so I'd say YABU.

They're his clothes. If he doesn't want them to be ironed then I don't see why you'd force the issue. (And I also don't see why you'd increase the ironing pile unnecessarily if you're the one doing it!)

SpookyPotato Wed 24-Aug-16 23:08:35

Most t-shirts don't need ironing now, they just don't seem to have creases in. I will personally say YABU just because I only iron for weddings, funerals and interviews grin Plus it's his clothes so his decision.

Gileswithachainsaw Wed 24-Aug-16 23:09:25

What's an iron?

Fairylea Wed 24-Aug-16 23:09:27

If he doesn't want them ironed then that's up to him. We don't iron anything unless it's literally a shirt (as in shirt you'd wear with a suit and tie) for work. That's it!

FarelyKnuts Wed 24-Aug-16 23:10:18

He doesn't care and you don't wear them. So why do you care?

ILiveForNachos Wed 24-Aug-16 23:11:38

If I was going out of the house with him I'd say it had to be ironed but does usually iron them if leaving the house anyway. No creases in public! YANBU.

LifeIsGoodish Wed 24-Aug-16 23:12:27

T-shirts do not need to be ironed. Neither do polo shirts or sweatshirts. Only the collar of rugby shirts needs ironing. Cotton button-up shirts with collars do need ironing.

The reason is the fabric. Button-up shirts (and rugby shirt collars) are made from woven fabric, which generally creases badly, whereas the others are all made from forms of knitted fabric. Woven fabric creases badly because the fibres are straight. Knitted fabrics do not crease nearly as badly, if at all , because the fibres are already kinked.

But, ultimately, if he doesn't want his shirts ironed don't iron them.

Smidge001 Wed 24-Aug-16 23:13:09

So many people assuming you do his ironing?!! Good job this isn't in the feminist chat area.

Queenbean Wed 24-Aug-16 23:14:14

I am more surprised that people just tumble dry all their clothes. In the summer there is really no need, everything dries so quickly

It's bad for the environment and expensive too - it just seems so pointless to tumble dry so much

Op - his tops, his choice

SoupSpork Wed 24-Aug-16 23:26:15

Yabvu, but I'm biased, me and my dp don't own an iron and we live in tshirts !

FeedMyFaceWithJaffaCakes Thu 25-Aug-16 05:58:33

He does his own ironing and whatever I want ironed, he irons it for me, I don't have the hand-eye co ordination for it and just add more creases somehow!
The conversation started as we read something in a trashy magazine about what makes a "classy" man and I said "no. X taking pride in your appearance... That's you out then darling!" And he asked me for examples, so I gave the only wearing teeshirts and non ironed ones at that as an example! (he'll only wear even a casual shirt if I ask him to!)
I love him, even if we're both "not classy" at all.
For the record: I scored no points in the women's section! gringrin

junebirthdaygirl Thu 25-Aug-16 08:35:10

I dry on line until just there then into tumble dryer for 5 mins. No ironing except work shirts ironed while damp so nice and quick. If they are a big crumpled mess l would think he should iron them if wearing outside the house.

cinnamongirl1976 Thu 25-Aug-16 10:22:49

YABU - we don't iron anything. DH only irons his work shirts if he has an interview or very important meeting. My mum is horrified by this but life's too short!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now