Talk

Advanced search

Do you always cook for your dc?

(18 Posts)
LifeIsGoodish Wed 24-Aug-16 16:10:03

3 dc: 16, 13, 9. I work term-time, so am at home with them right now.

Evenings, I cook for the family. I also shop and make sure there is plenty of food at home - ingredients as well as snack or quick stuff.

AIBU not to make lunch every day and let them/expect them to fend for themselves?

GinandJag Wed 24-Aug-16 16:14:57

I do most of the shopping and cooking but sometimes as one of the DCS to do it.

I shop every day in the holidays to get just the ingredients I need. I don't do snacks.

When I go back to work next week, I've informed everyone that there will be a rota. I'll be out of the house from 7am - 7pm, so everyone is going to have to chip in, and what they make has to be healthy.

MrsHathaway Wed 24-Aug-16 16:17:40

9 is borderline. Teenagers should definitely be getting their own lunches assuming NT.

Bear in mind that a teenager will look at a fridge and cupboards full of ingredients and declare that there is NOTHING TO EAT. Cold sausages are acceptable; separate ham and bread is ridiculously uncombinable.

imwithspud Wed 24-Aug-16 16:24:21

Teenagers should be more than capable of fixing their own lunch, I definitely don't remember being made lunch on a regular basis on that age.

Nine year old would probably be okay too but I would worry about trusting them to make sensible/healthy choices without me 'supervising'.

harderandharder2breathe Wed 24-Aug-16 16:26:56

13 and 16 year olds definitely

9 year old may need help at least til they're used to it, to make sensible choices and learn what they're capable of

LemonBreeland Wed 24-Aug-16 16:30:49

My 5 year old declared she was old enough to make her own lunch this summer. This shamed her brothers who are 8 and 12 to make their own lunches.

LifeIsGoodish Wed 24-Aug-16 16:37:57

9yo is the most competent cook of the three!

KingJoffreyLikesJaffaCakes Wed 24-Aug-16 17:22:10

No, my cooking's shit.

DS has simple tastes and has his own stuff he can bung in the oven.

Discobabe Wed 24-Aug-16 18:04:31

my 7, 10 and 12 yo's have made their own lunch almost all summer. I'm seriously considering delegating them their own packed lunch duties once back at school!

allowlsthinkalot Fri 26-Aug-16 08:56:22

My 9 and 7 year olds get their own breakfast and lunch and also their little sister's. I do supervise their food choices.

WhooooAmI24601 Fri 26-Aug-16 09:52:48

10 and 5 here, with an additional 5 year old staying over. They made their own breakfast today and for lunch the 10 year old wants to do a bbq. We have a gas one so he'll do it with a little supervision/help from me. They're perfectly able to make sandwiches/toast together and I sort of assume that it's not my job to provide every single mouthful for them.

EssentialHummus Fri 26-Aug-16 10:01:04

In this house whatever was left from supper on Monday becomes lunch on Tuesday - I deliberately make double portions. It's usually just microwaving required.

LifeIsGoodish Fri 26-Aug-16 11:10:28

What a relief! I was genuinely prepared to have to defend my parenting!

SparklyShinyThings Fri 26-Aug-16 11:25:02

I do all meals if home, likewise so does DH. If they are home alone then I leave a packed lunch in the fridge so they don't have to mess.

maggiethemagpie Fri 26-Aug-16 12:22:27

No, very rarely. DH (a SAHD) cooks for them, and I cook for us. We all have different food needs/choices/preferences so it's very rare we can all eat the same meal.

Cathaka15 Fri 26-Aug-16 12:26:38

Dh is the main cook at home. He makes dinner for the family. 16 yo and 12 yo get their own breakfast and lunch. They can't actually cook but can make sandwiches or just heat up whatever left overs there are.

Katedotness1963 Fri 26-Aug-16 12:27:53

Mine are teenagers. They get their own breakfasts, lunches during holidays, and I cook the evening meal. Either their dad or I make their packed lunches during term time. I know they're old enough to do it themselves but I get a cringy feeling of guilt if they mention doing it themselves.

Notso Fri 26-Aug-16 12:42:05

Mine are 16,12,5 and 4. I make breakfast and lunch for all of them if they are around when I am making it, if DH is here I make his as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now