Talk

Advanced search

..to think red pepper isn't chili?

(15 Posts)
Zaphodsotherhead Wed 24-Aug-16 15:25:56

Today, to spoil myself, i bought some roasted red pepper houmous. I LOVE red peppers but hate chili with a huge passion, can't bear the stuff in my food. So, I start eating the houmous, only to realise that it's full of chili peppers. It's even a picture of a chili on the front! Now, to my mind red peppers aren't chili peppers - the ingredients don't list chili, but the inside of my mouth begs to differ.

AIBU? Or am I just BU not to like chillies? (I really, really don't)

cexuwaleozbu Wed 24-Aug-16 15:31:57

Yanbu but yabu to expect anything from the happy shopper brand to be nice.

MrsTerryPratchett Wed 24-Aug-16 15:34:33

That would be great for me because I like chill and hate red pepper. They are definitely not the same. Slightly worrying about the picture, words and ingredients not matching...

HeadsDownThumbsUpEveryone Wed 24-Aug-16 15:37:01

YANBU a red pepper is simply that a pepper that is red, a red chilli pepper on the other hand is a hot spicy thing which has no place in Houmous. Sorry that your treat turned out to be so rubbish.

PotOfYoghurt Wed 24-Aug-16 15:39:24

The picture just looks like a Romano pepper.

MindSweeper Wed 24-Aug-16 15:43:08

I dunno actually.

Red BELL pepper
Red CHILLI pepper

They didn't specify either way

DoJo Wed 24-Aug-16 15:43:30

What other ingredients are listed?

Boogers Wed 24-Aug-16 15:48:45

Is it the garlic that made it tingly?

Queenbean Wed 24-Aug-16 15:51:39

I am shock shock that happy shopper is still going???

And they're making hummous????

Zaphodsotherhead Wed 24-Aug-16 15:53:10

Other ingredients are all standard stuff - nothing that should tell my mouth it's eating chillies!
cex..all I could afford!
Thank you, headsdown for the sympathy... and mindsweeper, they should specify because of allergies (I have a very slight allergy to chillies, nothing life threatening, but it's one of the reasons I avoid them).

Zaphodsotherhead Wed 24-Aug-16 15:54:25

It's not so much tingly as that burning feeling you get... I don't usually get any reaction from garlic (and there's so little in this, it shouldn't affect me). Hey ho, a first world problem, but annoying...

Queenbean Wed 24-Aug-16 15:57:14

I think other normal supermarkets do hummous for cheaper than £1.15 OP!

Zaphodsotherhead Wed 24-Aug-16 16:02:00

queen, yes, but I live miles away from any supermarkets and have to go to the little local shop for my treats!

HeadsDownThumbsUpEveryone Wed 24-Aug-16 16:02:51

Next time you are near a tesco or Waitrose try and pick up one of the below (both show pictures of a 'proper' red pepper on the front) hopefully they wont make your mouth so tingly.

www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=272453548
www.waitrose.com/shop/ProductView-10317--31040-Waitrose+roasted+red+pepper+houmous

I have clearly got over invested in your houmous problem. smile

Zaphodsotherhead Wed 24-Aug-16 16:06:57

Thank you heads, those look delicious (and non-chilli-containing). I shall give them a shot!

And houmous is worth getting worked up over! I was so disappointed by mine I had to eat some coffee and walnut cake to get over it...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now