Talk

Advanced search

Not a proper birthday cake????

(127 Posts)
Blablabla1984 Wed 24-Aug-16 14:07:06

It's my husband's birthday this weekend and we're planning a BBQ. For the bday cake I was planning on making a strawberry cheesecake. When I mentioned this to him his words were: "that's not a birthday cake. It has to be a sponge cake to be a birthday one. Cheesecake sounds lovely though!"

Why? What? How?......... I got super puzzled. Is this a rule??

He obviously loves cheesecakes, I mean he'd eat anything that's in front of him but I was a little bit surprised on the "sponge cake rule". Is there really such thing? grin

Yorkieheaven Wed 24-Aug-16 14:07:56

Put candies on it and sing happy birthday he will be happy grin

HardToDeal Wed 24-Aug-16 14:09:13

Cheesecake isn't a birthday cake, no. It sounds nice and all but it's not a birthday cake!

dontpokethebear Wed 24-Aug-16 14:09:40

Stick some candles on top and there is no way he can argue that's not a birthday cheese cake! Hth

NoFuchsGiven Wed 24-Aug-16 14:10:10

I agree, Cheescake is not a birthday cake.

Oysterbabe Wed 24-Aug-16 14:10:57

It's not a birthday cake, he's right.
It's not a cake for a start, despite the misleading name.

MyBreadIsEggy Wed 24-Aug-16 14:11:08

Stick some candles on it....it's a birthday cake!
I'm not a big sponge cake lover, so for my last birthday, DH got a dozen assorted doughnuts from Krispy Kreme, arranged them into a mountain and stuck candles in them grin best birthday cake I've ever had! grin

Blablabla1984 Wed 24-Aug-16 14:11:42

Ah HardToDeal so that was a rule after all grin

In my book any cake with candles on is a birthday cake smile

LadyPenelope68 Wed 24-Aug-16 14:11:52

Cheesecake is just a regular dessert, not a birthday cake.

MitzyLeFrouf Wed 24-Aug-16 14:11:56

Some people are sticklers to adhering to the Feast Day and Holiday Grub By-laws. The type who'd be appalled at any meat but turkey being served on Christmas Day even if they don't particularly like turkey!

As it's his birthday I'd probably go for a sponge based cake if that's his preference.

Imnotaslimjim Wed 24-Aug-16 14:12:04

He's right, birthday cake is sponge with fondant or buttercream. I love cheesecake but I'd be a little miffed if I was told that's what I was getting as a birthday cake.

BrightOranges Wed 24-Aug-16 14:12:11

Well he is right, of course. A cheesecake is not a birthday cake in the traditional sense. Personally I would prefer the cheesecake though smile

Blablabla1984 Wed 24-Aug-16 14:13:41

MyBreadIsEggy that's right up my street!!!! Love Krispy Kreme!!!!! Would take it any day rather than an old fashioned Victoria sponge

TheViceOfReason Wed 24-Aug-16 14:15:01

I've made cheesecake as a birthday cake for my DH before - he loved it! Cheesecake is one of his favourites though.

monkeywithacowface Wed 24-Aug-16 14:15:02

He's right. While we're on the subject chocolate is also NOT birthday cake either. Always hugely disappointed when chocolate cake is brought out for birthdays.

I do love cheesecake though

monkeywithacowface Wed 24-Aug-16 14:15:29

*chocolate cake is not birthday cake

Pinkheart5915 Wed 24-Aug-16 14:16:39

I like cheesecake but I agree with your DH it isn't a birthday cake

Danglyweed Wed 24-Aug-16 14:17:49

Oh I'd much rather get a good chocolatey caramel cheesecake rather than a 'birthday' cake!

MitzyLeFrouf Wed 24-Aug-16 14:18:37

While we're on the subject chocolate is also NOT birthday cake either.

shock

You are more wrong than a naked Noel Edmonds knocking on my bedroom door for some sexy fun.

BaronessEllaSaturday Wed 24-Aug-16 14:20:37

We would always have a desert then birthday cake and cheesecake would very definitely come into the desert section.

My DH has asked for carrot cake for his birthday cake on Saturday. I'm looking forward to telling him that he'll have to have a Victoria sponge instead grin

Birdsgottafly Wed 24-Aug-16 14:22:07

It's a Cheesecake instead of a Birthday cake, but not a 'Birthday cake'.

BorpBorpBorp Wed 24-Aug-16 14:24:58

Cheesecake isn't a birthday cake because cheesecake isn't a cake, it's a dessert. You would have cheesecake as a pudding after a meal, but you wouldn't have a slice of cheesecake with a cup of tea at 4pm.

cherryplumbanana Wed 24-Aug-16 14:26:57

There IS a rule about bday cake? shock grin Please someone tell me what a birthday cake is!

In my house, a birthday cake is the cake chosen by the birthday person, with candles on it. I suppose we will have to have 2 from now.

MitzyLeFrouf Wed 24-Aug-16 14:27:17

Speak for yourself Borp!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now