We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to add people from the same company in Linkedin

(13 Posts)
CoolToned Tue 23-Aug-16 22:30:15

but you don't directly work with them?

I am interning in a very high-profile organisation and have met some people. I do not directly work with them but I would love to be connected with them on Linkedin.

Is this appropriate?

MrsNuckyThompson Tue 23-Aug-16 22:31:44

Yes of course that's fine. It's not like Facebook where you are meant to be 'friends' IRL.

mnpeasantry Tue 23-Aug-16 22:32:54

Absolutely. Linked in isn't even a need to have met form of social media in the way I view FB.

Just bear in mind that some people aren't that active on it so may not accept your request simply because they don't log in often.

LittleBearPad Tue 23-Aug-16 22:33:10

Have you actually spoken to them. Could they pick you out of a line up, yes, then it's fine.

Adding Richard Branson because you've been doing some photocopying at Virgin maybe not so much.

Why are you keen to be linked though? I don't think I get LinkedIn

purplefox Tue 23-Aug-16 22:43:37

That's pretty much what Linkedin is for.

gettingtherequickly Tue 23-Aug-16 22:45:33

Yes, absolutely appropriate.

Very senior people may have their account managed by the marketing department.

Littlecaf Tue 23-Aug-16 22:46:24

Yes, go for it. Just don't look at their profile multiple times or they'll think toir stalking them.

Littlecaf Tue 23-Aug-16 22:46:55

*your

flowery Tue 23-Aug-16 22:48:14

I don't accept invitations from people I don't know, but if you've met them that sounds fine.

JacquettaWoodville Tue 23-Aug-16 22:49:10

I'd say so in your message then - "dear jane, it was great to meet you at the company picnic and I'd like to add you to my network on LinkedIn." Or something.

WhoKnowsWhereTheTimeG0es Tue 23-Aug-16 22:50:12

I only accept people if I know who they are IRL but I don't have to really know them, just to have crossed paths at some point. You never know when a connection will come in handy.

Ookmybanana Tue 23-Aug-16 22:55:06

If you're not sure how to go about it, there is a panel in the right hand side that tells you who you know and to whom you are already connected who can introduce you to the people you are looking at connecting with.

Even better is a face to face introduction - who do you know who can facilitate a meeting, even in a social situation. You can the follow up with a LinkedIn invite.

BitOutOfPractice Tue 23-Aug-16 22:55:38

Don't just click "connect", actually write a brief intro about who you are. Only two very short sentences.

The desktop site is best for this. The app will just send an auto-generated message and they may wonder who the hell you are! grin

But yeah, go for it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now