Useless health visitor!

(16 Posts)
user1468244773 Tue 23-Aug-16 15:13:06

Am I right to be pissed off?!

Dd is nearly 5 weeks. I haven't seen the health visitor since the first week. Last time I saw her she said "I defiantly need to see you before Wednesday next week". Me and Dd was battling a tongue tie/low supply and struggling with breastfeeding the last time I saw her. She knew this and which is the reason she wanted to come and see us. She didn't turn up, and I haven't heard a word from her since. Dd has had her tongue tied snipped a few weeks ago, but she does know this. So I could still be struggling.

Also she knows Iv had history of really bad postnatal depression. And I had prenatal this time. I would have thought she would have to keep an eye on me?

I feel abit like Iv just been left to it with Dd. I want to get her weighed so I know she's gaining okay etc now she's fully breastfed but there isn't anywhere to get it done, only when health visitor comes.

I'm abit annoyed sad

Mummyshortlegz Tue 23-Aug-16 15:16:30

There isn't a drop in at a sure start or gp? You could make a routine gp appointment to discuss things and have baby weighed here, maybe ask your recetionist?

Have you called the health visiting team to ask whAts going on? I didn't see mine from when they stopped coming to weigh at home till 9 month check and no contact at all. I had post natal last time and anti natal this time. I just don't think they have the resources to reach out and have to rely on people making the effort. Not easy if you are depressed. It's really cut to the bone here.

OutOfAces Tue 23-Aug-16 15:25:43

Do you have clinics? My health visitor only came to the home once before 6 month check up. When she needed to check DS's weight she asked me to take him to the clinic to get him weighed. She put a list of clinics, dates and times in DS's red book.

Do you have a phone number for the team? They could arrange for her to come out or tell you when the clinics are.

user1468244773 Tue 23-Aug-16 15:30:05

Nope no clinics round here sadly x

missm0use Tue 23-Aug-16 15:32:40

That's really bad. We were supposed to see a Midwife everyday for the 1st 10 days at home and HV once a week till six weeks and then once a month till six months then again at 8 months.
Actually saw no one for 1st week, then 3 visits in the next two weeks, HV once a week for 3 weeks then once a month till she was 4 months and not to see her again until she is 8 months. And that was me supposed to be getting extra support as I was likely to develop post natal depression and because my FIL died and my partner was sentenced and went prison and we both ended up being in the press as a result of of the prison thing.

Although I know that the visit schedule has changed recently. But have to be honest- have found the postnatal support you are promised during your pregnancy fails to materialise!! They talk a good talk but but massively fail to deliver!

HornyTortoise Tue 23-Aug-16 15:33:48

I would have loved this, our health visitor all but stalked us for reasons unknown.

We had a drop in clinic every monday though where we took the children to get weighed and such and discussed any issues..is there not something like this near you?

Noodledoodledoo Tue 23-Aug-16 15:34:04

I would phone the team and ask. At this time of year it could be something simple as she has been away on holiday for a couple of weeks and you may have been missed by accident. They might also be able to let you know somewhere you could get them weighed if they can't do a visit.

HornyTortoise Tue 23-Aug-16 15:34:50

Sorry for some reason it took ages to write that post and I see you have already replied. Surely you can get baby weighed at the GP? Seems weird they would just abandon you if they are the only route to keep check on babies weight and such...

OhFuds Tue 23-Aug-16 15:37:18

Give the HV team a phone, she might be off sick and whoever has stepped in to cover sickness might be snowed under trying to catchup.

freetrampolineforall Tue 23-Aug-16 15:42:34

Totally familiar, I'm afraid.

Gottagetmoving Tue 23-Aug-16 15:44:08

Don't just sit and worry about it. Call the team or your GP.
My friend is a health visitor and her workload is ridiculous.
You could have been accidentally missed but I agree it is not good when they know your history and you are concerned.

SpeakNoWords Tue 23-Aug-16 15:45:43

I would presume there's been an oversight, or that they are stretched for staff and haven't got round to you. The only way to know is to phone them and find out. Did you have a date that she was supposed to be coming out to see you?

Sillybillypoopoomummy Tue 23-Aug-16 15:47:55

mine did this - told me she was going to come and see me to sort out my severe PND and I never saw her again. The previous week I had found her looking through the letterbox when she was an hour early for the appointment... After 6 years I saw her in Tesco's for the first time since then last week and went all pale and hid blush.

BirdBrain85 Tue 23-Aug-16 15:54:48

I would just ring them and ask for a visit OP. It's rubbish that you appear to have been overlooked, but they should be coming back to see you anyway between 6-8 weeks; and perhaps your HV is off sick as others have said and no one knew her intentions to see you again. Not good enough I know, but sometimes you have to phone in and give them a nudge.

Glad your DD is feeding well now and well done on continuing with the breastfeeding despite the tongue-tie x

redexpat Tue 23-Aug-16 15:55:24

Probably an oversight. Not an excuse but an explanation.

Funnyface1 Tue 23-Aug-16 16:11:02

I have opted out of the health visiting "service" this time around as the I found the whole experience appalling the first time. If I had any genuine concerns about my baby then a health visitor is not the person I'd be putting my trust in anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now