Talk

Advanced search

AIBU for looking to get a psychic reading & actually believing it to be life changing

(21 Posts)
Whyesob Mon 22-Aug-16 23:50:59

Life hasn't been easy at all for significant number of years now. Nothing seems to work in my favour , no matter how much hard work or persistence I input in. I have lost faith, patience and am completely fed up with life. I have always been fascinated by astrologers , tarot card readers etc. AIBU to ask some one the board with THE knowledge to help me understand what's going on? Sorry if it seems like I have lost the plot, which I admit I have.

LikeDylanInTheMovies Mon 22-Aug-16 23:54:18

Please don't waste your time and money with these vultures. They don't have the answers and they can't help you to do anything other than empty your bank account.

GiddyOnZackHunt Tue 23-Aug-16 00:00:15

You'd be a lot better off explaining your problems and asking for advice here for free.
I did a palm reading session at a party once. Amazing results with one person pure luck Everyone was convinced I have a gift. I don't.

Whyesob Tue 23-Aug-16 00:05:48

I think i know that subconsciously but I guess I am too desperate at the moment. Thank you for your advice though.

Whyesob Tue 23-Aug-16 00:07:47

It's an amalgamation of problems. Ranging from relationships to unemployment. Too complex to be solved, hence this idea.

WorraLiberty Tue 23-Aug-16 00:14:13

These threads are like buses - nothing for ages and then 3 come along at once.

If you believe in this sort of thing, you'd be better off wasting your money and getting a 'reading' in RL, rather than posting in this topic and expecting something for nothing.

GiddyOnZackHunt Tue 23-Aug-16 00:19:53

If it's too complex to be solved by a group of thousands of people, some charlatan with her own interests at heart isn't going to give you anything except 'hope'.
If I gave you a freebie reading under a different name and said "Your grandmother says she's watching out for you. Her life was full of struggles that she tries to hide from you and she knows you have the inner strength to cope", does that help?

JellyBelli Tue 23-Aug-16 00:21:43

Get a pack of playing cards and use a cartomancy website or Wiki. It wont cost you anything.

EverySongbirdSays Tue 23-Aug-16 00:27:11

YANBU - I understand the impulse but please take care and think twice. I did the same in roughly March, thought it would cheer me up/give me hope/change something.

It was a devastating and horrible experience. He said endless negative things to me and charged me £40 for the privilege. I started a thread about it

It's fun to do if you do it in a lighthearted way, but don't go looking for life changing, it won't be.

Whyesob Tue 23-Aug-16 00:39:14

GiddyOnZackHunt: I could totally relate to that. I know what I am after is not real but it's solace I am after. Btw the grandmother thing fitted the pigeon hole.

WorraLiberty Tue 23-Aug-16 00:42:09

The grandmother thing fits everyone's pigeon hole, which is exactly GiddyOnZackHunt's point...

GiddyOnZackHunt Tue 23-Aug-16 00:42:50

Take from it what you will smile
Prioritise your problems.
Come back to MN and ask for advice.

Becca19962014 Tue 23-Aug-16 00:43:56

Many years ago, before MN, I was advised by a psychiatric nurse to do this to find out who the voices I hear are. I was told it would empower me and stop them.

It cost a fortune and was really upsetting. That was the last time I spoke in any depth about my voices to mh services, the whole experience was awful.

I complained about the nurse on the advice of a friend and got a reply about it being up to me which it was, but I would never have considered it if it wasn't for the nurse.

GiddyOnZackHunt Tue 23-Aug-16 00:43:58

Worra grin

EverySongbirdSays Tue 23-Aug-16 00:51:06

Becca

That's such terrible advice from a MH Professional!

Outraged by your experience

shock

Becca19962014 Tue 23-Aug-16 01:01:50

At the time it seemed a good idea (desperation).
Killed any trust I had in mh professionals and upset me a lot.
Definitely DID NOT help with voices!

ImissGrannyW Tue 23-Aug-16 01:08:05

The thing about the tarot/psychic readers and the like is that what they do is read YOU and channel what they get a reaction from. As in "someone with a name beginning with "n".... Or it might be "m".... "no, how about someone who loves you who's passed over who loves you dearly?" They pick up you your reactions and (hopefully) tell you what you want to hear/know already.

Ask your GP to refer you to "talking space". If you're suffering from a bereavement, ring "Cruse". Even ring the Samaritans. None of that will cost you, and you'll get a sympathetic ear.

If you have the money, pay for some counselling. That will help focus you.

I'm sorry you're clearly feeling horrible. I hope things get better for you! flowers

EverySongbirdSays Tue 23-Aug-16 01:13:36

I own tarot cards, know their meanings and read without charge for family and friends sometimes.

There's no "woo" involved on my part. They choose what they choose and see what's relevant.

Yes, a lot of it is generic stuff, but some cards come up and it can get a bit spooky, the cards that apply to specific life events

avamiah Tue 23-Aug-16 01:52:44

ImissGrannyW,
YES,
Your totally correct in everything you say and I know from experience as my dad died in 2000 and I visited one of these so called "psychics".
They are there to make money from people and are running a business.

t4nut Tue 23-Aug-16 02:11:45

All psychics are frauds. No matter what anyone says - its well documented they are expert coldreading frauds. Under no circumstance s give your money to these crooks.

dybil Tue 23-Aug-16 02:13:20

They are either deliberate fraudsters or, for those who dabble a little, people who struggle with the concept of coincidences.

If you really want to try this out sometime, do it when you're in a better place emotionally (and therefore hopefully less prone to manipulation).

I remember going to a reading with my dad once, I could only have been about 5 or 6, and the psychic telling my dad that he and my mum were going to separate within a year. Luckily my dad, whilst dumb enough to attend, didn't act on it in any way!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now