Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to wonder when ds will finally get the hang of pooing in the potty?

(21 Posts)
Pottysmotty Mon 22-Aug-16 17:41:54

We've been potty training for a month now and ds has taken brilliantly to weeing in the potty. Very few accidents and good to say when he needs to go.

Poos are a different story. In the whole month, bar a few poos that I caught in transit and rushed him to the potty, he hasn't managed to successfully do any of his own accord in the potty. He knows when he has to go, and will tell us. But when we bring him to the potty, he simply won't go. Leave him alone for 2 minutes later and he'll have had a sneaky one in his underpants.

We've tried getting him to sit for ages on the potty, distracting with books and YouTube. Tried bribery, promises of a new toy and reward charts. Nothing. We've explained that it's ok, there's nothing to be afraid of. I'm sure it's a kind of fear thing but no idea where to go from here.

Sick to the eye teeth of bouncing around singing the poop song hmm

ElornaElephant Mon 22-Aug-16 17:42:58

How old is he? 1 month is not a long time in the grand scheme of things, it might take him a little while yet unfortunately!

GiddyOnZackHunt Mon 22-Aug-16 17:45:30

Could you get him a toilet seat and step so he can use the toilet. One of mine wouldn't poo in a potty but was fine on the loo.

LolaStarr Mon 22-Aug-16 17:49:23

We're going through the same thing with our DS who is 3 in October. He's been dry for months but just will not have a poo unless it's in a nappy sad

Pottysmotty Mon 22-Aug-16 17:50:01

He's almost 3. We've tried the adaptor seat on the big toilet but that was a total disaster. He doesn't seem to mind getting the poo in the potty when I've caught him in the middle of going and he loves 'helping' me transfer it from potty to loo and flushing it away.

wonderwoo Mon 22-Aug-16 17:57:58

I am watching this thread with interest. My son has been dry for a year. But he will not poo in the toilet or potty. He tells me when he needs to go and does it in a nappy instead.

I have tried not putting any pressure on him and I honestly thought he would get there by now. I have tried putting on a little bit of pressure. I have tried books, blowing bubbles, various toilet seats and a different potty. And here we are, age 3 and three quarters and still pooing in a nappy.

OP I am obviously no expert here, but I do know that one month is no time at all, and many children take a while to master pooing on the potty. There is a story you can download online called "poo goes to pooland" which apparently has helped some people.

HeCantBeSerious Mon 22-Aug-16 18:02:36

Try laying a nappy in the potty. Over time you can cut a hole in the middle and then move to no nappy at all.

It's very common that small children don't understand that poo is waste products and not part of them. They often are scared of it splashing in the toilet.

(And potty training can take a matter of days if you wait till the child is absolutely ready to do it. Doing it for your own reasons slows things down and can cause issues far into the future.)

Pottysmotty Mon 22-Aug-16 18:04:01

It's good to know I'm not the only one. It's just disheartening when everywhere you turn on the Internet, people are saying how their little one was trained in 5 days which is complete bullshit I know hmm

We've tried poo goes to pooland, and ds will say 'poor poo is sad in my bum' and then he does the big cheer when we flush poo down the toilet but it hasn't stopped him pooping in his pants.

HeCantBeSerious Mon 22-Aug-16 18:07:42

people are saying how their little one was trained in 5 days which is complete bullshit I know

It's not bullshit. hmm

Friolero Mon 22-Aug-16 18:10:14

I could've written almost this exact post myself! My DS3 started potty training in the summer holidays, he's doing really well with wees but not done a single poo on the potty, he just does them in his pants. So no advice I'm afraid but just to let you know we're in the same boat (and following for advice from others!).

Pottysmotty Mon 22-Aug-16 18:10:15

What I meant to say is people saying that it's possible to train kids in 5 days when actually, all children are different.

My ds was definitely ready for training. He had taken to ripping his nappy off and going to sit on the potty when he needed to wee, or else shouting that he needed to go and looking to be taken to the potty.

ChocChocPorridge Mon 22-Aug-16 18:13:24

Mine's the same, 3 months in.

His brother was the exact opposite. I think they just do it to keep you on your toes.

TooGood2BeFalse Mon 22-Aug-16 18:14:42

My DS was actually trained in less than 5 days - but he was nearly 3 and a half to be fair.

Previous attempts weren't just disastrous but a complete waste of time. He just didn't get it. His doctor told us to leave it for 6months. He literally woke up and refused a nappy and had maybe 2 or 3 accidents over next couple days then was completely dry/clean both day and night.

It was the strangest thing I've ever seen and I take no credit for it. He is full of surprises, this child.

Sanch1 Mon 22-Aug-16 18:16:35

My DD is getting better, but still not perfect 5 months in!

MistyMeena Mon 22-Aug-16 18:17:03

How old is he?

One of mine completely refused a potty and went straight from nappy to toilet aged 3. I just gave up trying in the end, there was no point. They get there one way or the other!

Amummyatlast Mon 22-Aug-16 18:18:18

DD suddenly decided one day that she would wee in the toilet. Great, we thought, daytime potty training done. No, she would poo in her pants or the pull-up we were forced to put her in on trips out/at pre-school. It took 3-4 months until she started pooing in the toilet and tbh, I don't think it was anything we did that helped. We just had to wait.

FurryGiraffe Mon 22-Aug-16 18:27:55

DS1 refused to poo on the potty/loo until he's beed dry for a good few months. He just asked for a pull up and did it in that. He got there in the end. I think it was a combination of time, lots of praise and (most importantly) peer pressure- moving to the 'school room' at nursery where very few children used nappies at all! MIL is a childminder and says it's very common.

FurryGiraffe Mon 22-Aug-16 18:28:28

Sorry- that should say 'until he'd been dry'

ItsNiceItsDifferentItsUnusual Mon 22-Aug-16 18:38:33

We have a similar issue. Ds 2.8 has been dry for about 5 weeks. I didn't sweat the poo issue but about 2 weeks in of his own accord he pooed on the toilet. Then again the next day. Then nothing for 3 days, until I put him in a nappy. Then the cycle repeated itself so I've decided to just ask him every morning (he poos straight after breakfast grin) whether he wants to poo in a nappy or the toilet. I don't really want to reinforce the nappy thing but I can't prolong the toilet thing really in case he gets bunged up, which I know can cause all sorts of problems.

Don't really have any advice unfortunately, but you're not alone!

I think for ds, he likes to 'work' on a poo for a while confused which a nappy is great for because he can continue playing. But with a toilet you've got to be quite specific about timing, and he doesn't give it enough time.

He also likes to be left alone to poo so I am also considering leaving him pant less and nappy less in the living room playing, during his poo window, with the potty next to him. I do wonder whether if it's right there, he'll take himself there at the right time. Worth a shot, anyway.

Yorkieheaven Mon 22-Aug-16 18:42:28

poor poo sad in my bum op please remember that phrase for future blackmail use. grin

SheepyFun Mon 22-Aug-16 18:45:05

We've just got there with my DD, who's 3.5. It's taken a full year. I've washed a lot of pants. We went down the outright bribery path - I took her to choose a few cheap toys, and she got one each time she had a poo on the potty. It was a couple of months after we bought them that she finally went for it, and she did regress for a bit (so we might not be there yet). Hang on in there!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now