to call in sick for suspected strep throat?

(57 Posts)
FaithLoveandHope Mon 22-Aug-16 06:10:27

I started getting cold like symptoms last week and called in sick on Friday as I felt so weak, my head was extremely fuzzy and I just generally felt rough. Over the weekend I've developed a really bad cough and I've been up all night coughing. My throat and chest are really sore and I keep going hot and cold, I think I may have strep throat or something. WIBU to call in sick again? I feel so bad just thinking about it, like I'm letting people down as there are a few people on holiday this week so I really need to be in work.

mamarach26 Mon 22-Aug-16 06:15:27

Depends on your profession? Sorry you're poorly flowers

annandale Mon 22-Aug-16 06:17:38

Well, are you fit to work? Doesn't sound like it.

Believeitornot Mon 22-Aug-16 06:21:07

If you're sick you call in sick

Ifailed Mon 22-Aug-16 06:21:13

If you are not well, don't go in. It's not your problem to resource your department during the holidays (unless it is!), and struggling through work is not going to help you recover.

NapQueen Mon 22-Aug-16 06:21:28

I've had strep throat and it was the worst I've ever felt

Yanbu to feel too ill to work and therefore right g in sick. No one at work is going to want an infectious person next to them.

You pr9bably will want to see a doctor as it will need antibiotics.

AngieBolen Mon 22-Aug-16 06:43:30

If I worked with you I'd send you home.

Get in to bed and stay there.

ASAS Mon 22-Aug-16 06:53:25

Don't go in. No likes catching the germs of the martyr who soldiers on in to work.

Get some rest.

StillStayingClassySanDiego Mon 22-Aug-16 06:55:50

I wouldn't go in if I had your symptoms and no one wants the germs coughed and breathed over them.

Stay in bed, plenty of warm drinks and get well soon.

Just5minswithDacre Mon 22-Aug-16 07:00:45

Do we call it that here now?

If I took a call citing 'strep throat' as a reason for not coming in, it would cross my mind that it sounded like an excuse pinched from an American film. Am I behind the times?

flumpybear Mon 22-Aug-16 07:13:51

Cough, cold etc = work

Temperature = stay home

Get some sleep flowers

FaithLoveandHope Mon 22-Aug-16 07:26:34

Boss said I should come in because there are so many people off sad currently sat on the settee under a blanket with a long sleeved t shirt and fleece and I'm still shivering.

FaithLoveandHope Mon 22-Aug-16 07:27:04

just I don't know - what would you call it?

Just5minswithDacre Mon 22-Aug-16 07:29:38

Throat infection and a fever?

It was just a thought.

Thattimeofyearagain Mon 22-Aug-16 07:30:17

You need to call in sick love. And see a gp flowers

Just5minswithDacre Mon 22-Aug-16 07:30:54

Your boss is an arse. It doesn't work like that. Sick leave determined by business demands FFS.

FruitCider Mon 22-Aug-16 07:31:21

Depends on what you do as a job really. If you work in an office take some paracetamol and go in.

StillStayingClassySanDiego Mon 22-Aug-16 07:33:00

What job is it that you do?

RoganJosh Mon 22-Aug-16 07:33:58

It's tonsillitis isn't it?

HermioneJeanGranger Mon 22-Aug-16 07:35:23

Boss shouldn't have let so many people have holiday at once if one person being ill is going to cause problems.

If you're sick, you're sick. Stay home and rest! I used to drag myself to work when I was ill because my old company had a really strict sickness policy - it wasn't worth it!

Just5minswithDacre Mon 22-Aug-16 07:35:41

If it was tonsillitis she'd be telling us all about her tonsils.

TooStressyForMyOwnGood Mon 22-Aug-16 07:35:59

None of us can tell you whether to call in sick but hope you feel better soon flowers. If it is true step throat, you have my sympathy. I've had it once and was so poorly that we had to get additional childcare. I had two weeks off work and infected most of the adults in my immediate family (not the children somehow thank goodness). Was a miserable experience for all.

FoxesSitOnBoxes Mon 22-Aug-16 07:38:36

It probably isn't strep throat but it sounds like you're not well so not unreasonable to call in sick. I'd just do it without putting a name to it. Hope you feel better soon flowers

CoraPirbright Mon 22-Aug-16 07:39:41

Boss said I should come in because there are so many people off

Oh yeah thats a really good idea - you'll infect people and then there will be even more people off!! What a nob!! It sounds like you are really unwell and should be tucked up at home. Is there anything you can do remotely from your sofa?

OnionKnight Mon 22-Aug-16 07:41:23

It doesn't really matter what job the OP does, she's ill.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now