Advanced search

To call the police?

(63 Posts)
gardenangels Sun 21-Aug-16 23:11:37

Son went out last night said he was sleeping over at friend's house locally. Was meant to meet him this afternoon. No reply to calls or texts. Sent a text to say I was worried and was going to call police. Get a call from him from a mobile. He said he was coming home but no show. I hv texted this number and they said he had left their house but I have no idea where he is except they live far away from us.

Would the police be interested? He is 17.

Bellyrub1980 Sun 21-Aug-16 23:12:36

I would call the non-emergency line to get their opinion.

Champagneformyrealfriends Sun 21-Aug-16 23:12:55

What time did he leave them?

george1020 Sun 21-Aug-16 23:13:52

Can you try texting him again?

Otherwise yes I would call the police better to do that and not need them than not iyswim

RJnomore1 Sun 21-Aug-16 23:15:07

Yes do call 101.

GoldFishFingerz Sun 21-Aug-16 23:19:14

Text both numbers and ask how long he will be as you are worried

Planty18 Sun 21-Aug-16 23:23:10

Can you phone the number rather than text and ask when your son left and just say you are concerned? I wouldn't be texting if the next step is to be calling police for help. Or try calling his own mobile again. I would also call 101 for advice if neither of those things gives you any reassurance though, I hope he's home soon.

dominogally Sun 21-Aug-16 23:25:33

Second phoning the numbers. And leaving a message and text on your dc's phone.

Coconutty Sun 21-Aug-16 23:26:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FuzzyOwl Sun 21-Aug-16 23:27:52

I'd call the non emergency number. You haven't seen him for 24 hours and can't confirm the text you received really came from him, so I think it might be logged as a missing person.

Really hope you are able to find him soon.

WhatTheActualFugg Sun 21-Aug-16 23:29:38

I don't think a 17 yo should be chased up by his parents. I certainly wasn't at that age.

Yes, you'll be worried. Yes, he should have the common decency to tell you when he'll be home.

But surely 17 is too old to be having your mother call the police because you've decided to stay out? He could be living on his own getting up to all sorts you'd never know about.

If something awful happens you'll soon know about it.

I'd leave him be and when he gets in give him a right rollicking and make it abundantly clear that when living with you he tells you when to expect him home and either stick to it or update you.

TheRealKimmySchmidt63 Sun 21-Aug-16 23:30:43

Is his phone on? Is it an iPhone? If yes an you do the find my phone tracker off your pc/laptop?

RJnomore1 Sun 21-Aug-16 23:31:33

She's not calling the police because he decided to stay out.

She's calling the police for advice because he said he was on his way home, he hasn't arrived and he can't be contacted. Plus he is 17 so not as worldly wise as he might be.


WhatTheActualFugg Sun 21-Aug-16 23:32:48

The find an iPhone thing won't work if his phone is dead.

GloveBug Sun 21-Aug-16 23:36:05

Yes I would call the non emergency number to report it. Is he driving? If so you can give them the reb and they will look out for it. DM did that once when I stayed out all night at 17 blush
Hour her turns up soon

FastWindow Sun 21-Aug-16 23:36:28

Do you know the address of the friends where he was staying locally ?

GloveBug Sun 21-Aug-16 23:36:29

Reg not reb

DesolateWaist Sun 21-Aug-16 23:40:20

There is no minimum time for a person to be out of connect before the police class them as a missing person. They simply have to be not where they should be and for it to be out of character.

As suggested above, call 101 just to be on the safe side, then try friends etc.

Also remember that teenagers are stupid and don't understand that parents worry.

DesolateWaist Sun 21-Aug-16 23:41:07

connect = contact

Discopanda Sun 21-Aug-16 23:43:39

Is he back yet, OP? Call 101 just in case.

SheHasAWildHeart Sun 21-Aug-16 23:46:05

Please please call the police. This is what they're for.

serin Sun 21-Aug-16 23:48:54

Gardenangel, I would ring the police and ask their advice.

Has he done similar before? I hope he is soon home safely.

EttaJ Mon 22-Aug-16 00:04:46

I would definitely call the police. Please keep us updated OP

brasty Mon 22-Aug-16 00:06:14

This must be very worrying for you.

At this stage though the police are unlikely to do anything as there is nothing particularly worrying about this. I would ring him and leave a message if there was no answer. You could also check hospitals in case he has had an accident.

But what is most likely is that he has met someone and forgot about meeting up with you, and will be home soon.

RosieSW Mon 22-Aug-16 00:11:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now